BIAS WWM double layer
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Insulation
    CCF(GG .25/Ow .5)
    Suspension
    Kam Pyt/HumBrd TS+

Question Art Loeb prep for 8/23 (SOBO)

Looking for advice on late summer weather prep for Art Loeb, target weekend 8/23. Will not have an UQ but will probably get a TQ before the trip. I have GG Thinlight 1/4" and Oware Bivy Shop 1/2" CCF pads for my two layer BIAS WWM. Will take one or the other. Plan to get a Dutch winter sock at some point but thinking that would be overkill for this outing. Will take WB MJ tarp and may take one tarp door for a little more wind/rain protection. Love feedback. Thanks.

John

Hammock
    Dutch Wide , WB Sock, BIASbuginato
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    BeetleB & K straps
    Was there last year about that time and it was 55 at Black Balsam parking lot. Colder than we expected, but still nice enough to enjoy the many creeks, if in the sun.

Although, FWIW... ALT is very boring. The best parts can be reached within 2 miles of the Black Balsam parking lot. Go up to Tennant or even Shinning rock and enjoy the views. Head back down to the creek below Sam's Knob and enjoy some great creek side camps. Hike up to Sam's Knob. Maybe drive over to Slidding Rock for more fun. Don't waste your time with Cold Mountain, nothing to see from Shinning Rock to the top of Cold Mountain. Same south/south west of Black Balsam per ALT nothing of real interest. Looking Glass Rock is also worth seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by darthzurg View Post
    Ling for advice on late summer weather prep for Art Loeb, target weekend 8/23. Will not have an UQ but will probably get a TQ before the trip. I have GG Thinlight 1/4" and Oware Bivy Shop 1/2" CCF pads for my two layer BIAS WWM. Will take one or the other. Plan to get a Dutch winter sock at some point but thinking that would be overkill for this outing. Will take WB MJ tarp and may take one tarp door for a little more wind/rain protection. Love feedback. Thanks.

John

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    Quote Originally Posted by clusterone View Post
    Was there last year about that time and it was 55 at Black Balsam parking lot. Colder than we expected, but still nice enough to enjoy the many creeks, if in the sun.

Although, FWIW... ALT is very boring. The best parts can be reached within 2 miles of the Black Balsam parking lot. Go up to Tennant or even Shinning rock and enjoy the views. Head back down to the creek below Sam's Knob and enjoy some great creek side camps. Hike up to Sam's Knob. Maybe drive over to Slidding Rock for more fun. Don't waste your time with Cold Mountain, nothing to see from Shinning Rock to the top of Cold Mountain. Same south/south west of Black Balsam per ALT nothing of real interest. Looking Glass Rock is also worth seeing.
    I agree, there are better trails to spend your time. I have a 20 mile loop that I do starting and ending at Cruso Rd that includes Shining Rock, Tennent, Black Balsam, and takes Graveyard Ridge Trail down by all 3 waterfalls.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I thought it was a good walk personally.
    You may need to use a bear canister there nowadays per the rules last I heard.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    HG
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG/AGGTQ SLDUQ/UQP
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiderwhoopi
    Southern appalachians= deciduous rainforest. Shug is right its a worthy hike. Temps will be managable if you stay dry.

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    Definitely be prepared for bears around Shining Rock. They have been around that area for a while and have become more persistant over the last couple of years. Bear cans are required in the Shining Rock Wilderness.

Forest Service Reminds Visitors, Bear Canisters Required for Backcountry Use
    Date(s): Jan 20, 2017

PISGAH FOREST, N.C., January 20, 2017 – As bear encounter reports continue, the U.S. Forest Service reminds backcountry users that bear canisters are required in the Shining Rock Wilderness, Black Balsam, Sam’s Knob and Flat Laurel Creek Areas of the Pisgah Ranger District, Pisgah National Forest.

A camping closure in the nearby Graveyard Fields area is still in effect, though the area remains open for day use.

More>>>>

Hammock
    BIAS WWM double layer
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Insulation
    CCF(GG .25/Ow .5)
    Suspension
    Kam Pyt/HumBrd TS+
    I spoke to Pisgah Ranger District last week and they added a little more detail, canisters required until south of the parkway. I wasn't sure exactly where the southern limit of that rule was. There are three of us going, two of whom are local (Greenville SC) and the third guy will probably drive up the day before and spend the night in SC, tempted to take three cars and dump the canisters midway when we come down BB in an expression of extreme indulgence. A friend has offered a couple of loaner canisters and if that works out, will be nice to not have to return rentals. It won't add a ton of drive time for the out of towner to haul us back up to the parkway before he bails.

• + New Posts