12’ Trail Lair by SLD
    Tarp
    12’ Winter
    Insulation
    HG Econ UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I don't keep track of every TX hang but I would bet all the bigs are posted right here on HammockForums.
    Thank you, OutandBack. I’ll keep my eyes peeled on this forum for announcements. With the heat coming, my guess is everyone in Texas (myself included) is looking to head to higher elevations. So, probably not too much happening around me for a few months.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Optinaut View Post
    Joe. I see you’re just a little up the road from me - San Antonio. Howdy from Houston.
    Back in the early-70's, we lived near the Chemical Bank off of Babgy and Walker. Rolling Stones at the Hofheinz.

With regards to Facebook, there really is no privacy today, if it is free to join, then you are the product that is sold.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Is there a listserv for Texas Hammock Hangers? I don’t have a FB account, but would like to know about upcoming hangouts in Texas.

Regards,
    Optinaut
    I don't know about a listserv, but as others have mentioned there is an active THH FB group.

I think the THH FB owners have their own hammock website have you searched for that? I assume they keep them both uptodate.
    I don't visit either these days so I don't know for sure.
    I moderate the FB Group and there is not now nor has there ever been a website for our group. Any out there either active or not are not affiliated with us.

Hopefully I will stumble across some Texas Hangouts on this forum. As someone new to hammocks, I thought it would be a great opportunity to learn from more experience Hangers at some of the hangouts. To date, I’ve just been doing solo and family hangs.

Regards,
    Shane
    Watching for upcoming events is a great idea. We have a few regulars... In November, we have an Annual Fall Hang, that we've been doing for ages, at Fairfield Lake State Park that is a lot of fun with a pretty decent crowd of good folks. We have our Frozen Butt Hang at McKinney Falls State Park in January and a Spring Hang at Goose Island State Park, typically in April. In July, there's The Butt Bake held in the Sam Houston National Forrest. I know FB and privacy issues are not ideal but that's where most of the conversations and planning for these take place.

We welcome new folks at any of our events. There's always someone willing to help and share ways of doing things.

I host the November hang and will open a planning thread here in late July. The other hangs may or may not be posted here depending on the degree of promotion the host chooses.

I tried to go that route to join my astronomy club’s FB group (HAS for any Houston-area sky watchers) as that was where they pushed out event notices. I made a lot of effort to keep private, but FB managed to pull my contacts from my mobile device and broadcast to my friends and family that I was on the platform, but “private”...which opened a hole can of worms

I’ve since opted to avoid it entirely and receive club announcements via our listserv. But thank you for the suggestion, Joe. I see you’re just a little up the road from me - San Antonio. Howdy from Houston.
    I haven't experienced the privacy issues you describe but then again, I know that privacy in many venues is a thing of the past. I don't like it a bit either, but it is an unfortunate reality. Funny thing is, the reason all you can see on our FB group is the banner is we are trying to protect the privacy of group members. Since the folks on FB are not using an alias, we don't want the world knowing when we are out in the woods and our homes are vacant and free for the picking.

Thank you, OutandBack. I’ll keep my eyes peeled on this forum for announcements. With the heat coming, my guess is everyone in Texas (myself included) is looking to head to higher elevations. So, probably not too much happening around me for a few months.
    The smart ones do just what you suggest. I on the other hand will be camping and hosting Dutch oven cooking demos the second Saturday of most months at Fairfield Lake State Park. If you ever find yourself there on one of those weekends, come by and say howdy.

One more I just remembered... every October, I go out to recon where our Fall Hang will take place to assess the sites, notify the park of any widow-makers, and get a little quiet hang time before we have 140+ hangers the next month. I've started using this October date as both a Recon and a Rookie outing. It's a good time for those planning on coming to a large hang to meet some folks and learn a bit. This year, that will be the weekend of the second Saturday in conjunction with one of my cooking demos.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I don't keep track of every TX hang but I would bet all the bigs are posted right here on HammockForums.
    I can't speak to all of them, but our biggest one, the Annual Fall Texas Hang, which I host, will certainly be posted here. It's a great place for folks to meet and connect for more trips throughout the year.

Old threads from the previous 10 years along with trip reports during that same span makes for some fun reading... highly recommended for at least some cool pics.

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Hammock
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    ... As someone new to hammocks, I thought it would be a great opportunity to learn from more experience Hangers at some of the hangouts. To date, I’ve just been doing solo and family hangs.

Regards,
    Shane
    One more comment on this note, Shane, I'll be taking my family out to Fairfield Lake State Park the weekend after next, June 7-9, to teach my Son in law and his son the ropes. My wife and son will also be along so we'll have about 6 hammock set ups to play with.

If that's a time you and your family or you solo feel like going out, I'd be glad to give a little show and tell and help in any way that I can. Feel free to PM me or replying here is cool too.

Mike

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    I can't speak to all of them, but our biggest one, the Annual Fall Texas Hang, which I host, will certainly be posted here. It's a great place for folks to meet and connect for more trips throughout the year.

Old threads from the previous 10 years along with trip reports during that same span makes for some fun reading... highly recommended for at least some cool pics.
    Thankyou UncleMJM I was hoping you would notice this thread and help Shane out.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Thankyou UncleMJM I was hoping you would notice this thread and help Shane out.
    I'm always glad to help when I can. Sometimes life gets busy and I don't get on here nearly as much as I did in the early years, sorry for the time lag in responding.

Hammock
    12’ Trail Lair by SLD
    Tarp
    12’ Winter
    Insulation
    HG Econ UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Thank you, UncleMJM!! Sounds like a lot of opportunities throughout the year. I’ll keep my eyes out for posts during those periods.

I’ve never been to Fairfield Lake State Park, but having spent my high school years in East Texas, I’m familiar with the area. Unfortunately, work has me tied up the weekend of June 8th. Hopefully, I can make it to SHNF for the July Butt Back. Heat doesn’t scare me off!

And should we meet on a hang out, my names is Shane. Thanks again!

Hammock
    Clark NX-200 w/ ridgeline & NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark XL (x2)
    I tried to go that route to join my astronomy club’s FB group (HAS for any Houston-area sky watchers) as that was where they pushed out event notices. I made a lot of effort to keep private, but FB managed to pull my contacts from my mobile device and broadcast to my friends and family that I was on the platform, but “private”...which opened a hole can of worms

I’ve since opted to avoid it entirely and receive club announcements via our listserv. But thank you for the suggestion, Joe. I see you’re just a little up the road from me - San Antonio. Howdy from Houston.

You are not alone in this. First off, I would strongly advise you to not put the FB app on your phone as that app is the backdoor that FB uses to access and share your data. Use a web browser from a computer and never leave it logged in.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200 w/ ridgeline & NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark XL (x2)
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    .... In July, there's The Butt Bake held in the Sam Houston National Forrest. I know FB and privacy issues are not ideal but that's where most of the conversations and planning for these take place. .....
    Which weekend is the Butt Bake? If I am free, I would like to join in.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast