Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

girlfriend to try hammocking, buy her a "youth" hammock or upgrade mine and give it to her?

I live in Vietnam and my girlfriend finally agreed to try hammocking (hoping to get rid of the tent for good if I can convert her). I have an "Arbor Creek" hammock from Amazon that works good for me but I'm trying to decide if I should just let her use that and upgrade for myself or just buy her a new "youth" hammock. Having two full size hammocks would also allow me to introduce others to hammocking.

I have a chance to buy it from the UK since I have a consultant coming from there next month (DD hammocks seems good and I'm planning on buying an under quilt from them). I also have another guy coming from the US next month so I can send it to him as well.

DD Hammocks has a scout hammock for a really good price. $22.27 (£17.50)
    https://www.ddhammocks.com/product/s...ck?from_cat=32

I'm also wanting to upgrade to whoppie slings and tree straps while I'm at it. I'm hoping to save time when setting up and maybe save a little weight.

Some additional info:
    I will use my hammock way more than she will use hers.
    She's about 160cm and 52kg (5'3" and 115 lbs)
    Her set up needs to be at minimum "ghost-resistant" but I promised her I would try to find one that is "ghost-proof". Apparently, the current tent keeps out the ghosts pretty good.
    I'm not really concerned with the cost. This is a hobby I will probably stick with so I'll "get my money's worth" out of any updgrades I do.

I appreciate any suggestions you guys may have and thanks in advance.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm not much of a fan of too-short "youth" hammocks. All my hammocks are at least 10.5 ft. long because I can loan them out to anyone, not just short people or "youth."
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Fortress
    Insulation
    Too many to list
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    At 5'3 115 she could def use a youth hammock. I think Hennessy makes a very affordable Scout Zip for 5'8 200lb. Also comes with rainfly for $99.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I say just get her a normal size hammock. That way you can loan it out to others if needed. She will still be comfortable- even in a 10 or 11ft hammock. My son, who's 4'6" uses a 10.5ft hammock, and he's totally fine in it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Hmmm, I am 5'2' and won't use any hammock under 10' so, no I would not get her a youth hammock.

My question is do you really want her to camp with you? If so spend the $ and get her something nice and comfortable.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    HG
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG/AGGTQ SLDUQ/UQP
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiderwhoopi
    Be a good boyfriend and buy her a new full size hammock!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Fortress
    Insulation
    Too many to list
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Just an FYI the HH Scout is 10'9 and holds 200lbs so its a great setup for even an adult of smaller stature.

Even the DD Camping Hammock is a bit on the small side, honestly (at 9'). The Scout Hammock is frankly ridiculously short (under 8'!). For reference, for our Scouts, we bought the Camping Hammocks, because a lot of them found the Scout Hammock that we checked too short for comfort.

If I was going to buy a DD hammock today, I'd go for the Chill Out Hammock, which is a reasonable length (10.5') and actually lighter than the Camping Hammock, due to being single-layer. If you're in the US, though, you'll have much better options available.

The DD Underblanket also has its issues: apart from the obvious issue of being synthetic, and therefore heavier/bulkier than a down underquilt, the suspension system isn't great (it's not continuous, so you can't slide it up/down for better positioning, and the side elastic is frankly useless, even without the issue that the mini-carabiners are attached by utterly pathetic knots that come apart as soon as you take it out of the bag.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 30
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    Id get her a bigger one. Women always like extra storage space for shoes, handbags and maybe a throw pillow and a few stuffed animals.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    I always like going SOBO; somehow, it feels like going downhill.

...and as it harm none, do what ye will.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Fortress
    Insulation
    Too many to list
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesam3 View Post
    Even the DD Camping Hammock is a bit on the small side, honestly (at 9'). The Scout Hammock is frankly ridiculously short (under 8'!). For reference, for our Scouts, we bought the Camping Hammocks, because a lot of them found the Scout Hammock that we checked too short for comfort.

If I was going to buy a DD hammock today, I'd go for the Chill Out Hammock, which is a reasonable length (10.5') and actually lighter than the Camping Hammock, due to being single-layer. If you're in the US, though, you'll have much better options available.

The DD Underblanket also has its issues: apart from the obvious issue of being synthetic, and therefore heavier/bulkier than a down underquilt, the suspension system isn't great (it's not continuous, so you can't slide it up/down for better positioning, and the side elastic is frankly useless, even without the issue that the mini-carabiners are attached by utterly pathetic knots that come apart as soon as you take it out of the bag.
    So their site has it listed at 284cm or 9'3". Glad you posted this as I was going to get my son one for crossover into Troop.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast