Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    10' SFOC
    Ask her. Explain the benefits for each to her. Don't guilt her into one that you can use for other people because it shows that you're not prioritizing her comfort. Get her the hammock that is most likely to get her hammocking more often. If you get her one that she feels like she contributed to the purchasing decision, you're more likely to get her out more, if that's your goal. Don't try to save a few bucks now and end up without an enthusiastic hammock partner. Maybe something with a print like this will seem ghost proof.
    Chris Siebenaler
    Sloth and Fox Outdoor Company
    Amazon
    Facebook
    Instagram
    Website

Hammock
    dream hammock
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    underquilt
    Suspension
    straps
    my own thoughts but don't turn her off of hammock camping by getting her a hammock that is not as comfortable as a full size one.

Another possible thought would be to let her choose a print-on-demand pattern from RSBTR (Rip Stop By The Roll) or Dutchware gear. This way she may be more comfortable with hanging. Don't forget the UQ/ TQ and tarp- which can all be acquired in the same chosen print if she likes.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    For simplicity, consider Kammock Python straps or ENO Atlas Straps (same idea; different name). Strap goes around the tree and you just clip into sown-in "steps" about 3 to 5 inches apart. You loose the feature of "micro adjusting" with whoopies and webbing. But then again, you loose the burden of micro adjusting with whoopies and webbing.

Admittedly sometimes the steps seem too far apart - like if they was a loop every six inches and you only wanted 3 more inches of slack. I keep an Amsteel loop on my suspension carabiners and can use it to move half a step if necessary. But mostly it's just "wrap it around the tree and clip into the best loop.

The more the setup is simple, the more readily it will be adopted. Later, once hooked, refinement can take place.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Thanks for all of the replies.
    I also noticed the DD Hammocks are short. I've decided to get her something full size and she did say wants a camo pattern. Most of the hammocks on the UK amazon site are short (2.7m) so I think I"m going to source it from the US. Thanks for the feedback about the DD underquilt.
    I'm definitely not trying to skimp. I really don't care what it costs as long as it's right for her to encourage her. And yes, I want her to go camping with me. We've already been twice so far and she liked it. I just want to get rid of the tent.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Because this looks like a "team" effort, remember that instead of using three or four trees and bringing your suspension off the center of the trees, you can use just two trees and bring the hammock suspensions off the left and right sides of the trees so you'll be separated by the width of the tree. That does increase the tarp challenge a bit. But panel pulls, porch mode, and large tarps can solve that.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Because this looks like a "team" effort, remember that instead of using three or four trees and bringing your suspension off the center of the trees, you can use just two trees and bring the hammock suspensions off the left and right sides of the trees so you'll be separated by the width of the tree. That does increase the tarp challenge a bit. But panel pulls, porch mode, and large tarps can solve that.
    I've also been thinking about this. I saw a true "double hammock" that used 3 trees in a triangle pattern. I think you could use two and either run the straps off opposite sides like you suggested or use a longer rope to other trees to spread the two hammocks on 1 or both ends. For the tarps, you could either use a larger tarp or just overlap the tarps. Maybe keep the "seam" of the tarps off to one side so any leakage doesn't drip on one of the hammocks. I have a 10x10 tarp and a 10x8 tarp. I think I can make it work good enough. It'll be worth it to protect her from the ghosts.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The tarp keeps bird droppings off the hammock and, especially if it is near full, keeps the moon light out of your eyes. It also affords a bit of privacy when getting dressed. Because people, especially with someone they want to get interested camping, usually don't plan a weekend with bad weather, those other "domestic" reasons probably come into play more than just rain protection.

Close is good, but a little "independence" can be a good thing too. You can use two or three trees for two hammocks but I wouldn't go for something like the Vortex - two hammocks sort of sewn together. If one person moves, gets up at night, etc. the other person will definitely know about it. I've read that it can cause ... ripples.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    You do realize that one of these days she is going to figure out how to search HF and come across your post. She will then realize just how much you value her. The question will then be if she takes the hammock with her or leaves it behind.

Alternatively, buy her a nice hammock and reap the rewards from someone who knows, or thinks, she is loved. Better than roses

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I've read that chocolate and wine helps too. But really, if she has the patience for it, spend some time with her to dial-in her hammock as best possible.

My experience with YoT (Youth of Today - at my age everyone's a "youth"), is they don't want to do the work. Maybe it's because we had to write our own computer programs; not just "buy an app". But I digress. Back on point, pick a nice day to be outside and go to a nice hammock grove with picnic lunch. Then, before and after lunch (not too much fussing at one time) work with her in getting the setup just right.

How high does SHE like the hammock above ground for easy entry/exit? What is her sag sweet spot with no calf ridge? Find that, measure the end-to-end distance and make a "ruler" cord - if not an actual continuous ridge line - she can use to set up her hammock with that same sag. Let her do it to gain a sense of independence. Spend a little time showing how - depending on how the tree branches cooperate - raising and lowering the hammock suspension on the tree interacts with the length of suspension from the hammock to the tree - to adjust the sag (hang angle) and distance above ground. How raising the foot end a bit reduces the tendency to slide down to the foot end, etc.

In short, involve her with the process being clear that the goal is to provide the best environment for a night's sleep on the trail. Because even the best hammock isn't going to be "Great!" if it is not set up correctly.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12