Hammock
    11 foot gathered hexon1.7
    Tarp
    11 ft winter dutch
    Insulation
    TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Spider Straps 1.5

Hammocks on the AT. My experience so far.

Hey everyone,

I am kinda currently hiking the AT. The original plan was to through hike, as my several years of planning dictated. Then, my dogs got put back into my life two months before my hike. She got a new job, and told me that she would have to find them a new home if I don't take them back. It was a simple decision, as they are my family.

I now am doing a vehicle supported hike. Each day we visit a new trailhead, and do a little bit of hiking. When I can, I also do a little bit of trail magic. This is what gave me the TLB name, two little bits (plus my two dogs).

One of my favorite questions to ask people is "tent or hammock?" It has led to some great conversations. I have been surprised at the number of people who never stayed in a hammock before taking it on the trail.

A friend who hiked part of the trail last year explained his process of making it as tight as possible, because that is "the only way to lay flat". I can't fault them for their views, nor can I fault the industry for people not getting the memo. It's still clear that Hammocks are in need of some PR work. Perhaps a collaborative project video series of the guide to Hammocks on the AT.

Did you know that I saw someone hang from the AT trail s sign? Not only does that sound uncomfortable, it sounds destructive to me, or at least highly sketchy.

My trip up the AT now consists of very interesting days. Since I am moving forward, there are some hikers that I get to keep seeing. It's fun to see someone that you've seen four times. Conversely, I would pull into a new location and the first person would be someone that I saw in the first day. It was the sort of encounter that let me know that "now is where I am meant to be". It is allowing me to build a pseudo trail family over time.

Out of all of the hikers that I talked to, there was one that knew about this site, that knew Hammocks, and could talk about some of the cottage companies. Even though this was a day hiker, it proved that there are some people sharing this addiction properly.

I didn't expect anyone to know what hammock forums is, much less dutchware, chameleon, ridgerunners, and blackbirds. This story wasn't to try to make the case that hikers don't understand Hammocks. I simply was surprised at how little indent hanging has made into the culture, while showing why it's great to have group hangs and events where we can geek out together.

Honestly, we didn't talk Hammocks all that much, but it was very reassuring to have that brief encounter with someone else that "gets it". That was my only hang culture fix, until I got to Trail days and could pester Dutch and his elves. It is my belief that Dutch had a second tent, where the workers would be required to make a few whoopie slings on their breaks.

Dutchware was fabulous and helpful at trail days. There were several questions that I had, which they helped me understand. I feel like they were obvious questions, and they didn't make me feel dumb for asking. That's one of the big things about Hammocks. There is always more to learn.

In another thread, someone mentioned that they thought hammock forums had lost its innovation, its creativity. I feel opposite, and believe that it is pushing against a tent centric industry. If anything, HF is helping to innovate the trail. With the industry learning to perfect ultralight fabrics, how can we not be innovative? I don't see much innovation in the tent industry, when compared to the hangers and their DIY frankenstines.

That's just my view of Hammocks on the AT now. It's just from the people that I have seen, and talking to everyone that I can.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    welcome to the madness.

A few years ago while doing a section hike on the AT, I had a tenter tell me that it must be hard to try and find trees to hang from along the AT. Told him it sure was and continued to hike. There is one young lady who has thru hiked the AT, PCT and I believe she is now working on the CDT. When she started the AT she did so in a hammock set up that she had not tested and did not know how to use. She decided hammocks where junk.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    It's been easy for Outdoor Adventures as he currently makes his way up the AT. He's over halfway and hasn't had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Trambo View Post
    It's still clear that Hammocks are in need of some PR work...Out of all of the hikers that I talked to, there was one that knew about this site, that knew Hammocks, and could talk about some of the cottage companies. Even though this was a day hiker, it proved that there are some people sharing this addiction properly.
    I liked reading your report and hope you'll keep posting your experiences on the AT. While I've seen hammocks on the trail in Georgia and have even run into some HF members before, that's the exception. A recent survey by The Trek that I posted a few months ago revealed that tents still dominate on the AT. I still see that as good news for the hammock industry as there is clearly room for growth. As you point out, though, with that growth comes an increased need for information on how to hang comfortably and safely. People underestimated the fiddle factor or the learning curve on hammocks. Five years in and I'm STILL figuring things out.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    I liked reading your report and hope you'll keep posting your experiences on the AT. While I've seen hammocks on the trail in Georgia and have even run into some HF members before, that's the exception. A recent survey by The Trek that I posted a few months ago revealed that tents still dominate on the AT. I still see that as good news for the hammock industry as there is clearly room for growth. As you point out, though, with that growth comes an increased need for information on how to hang comfortably and safely. People underestimated the fiddle factor or the learning curve on hammocks. Five years in and I'm STILL figuring things out.
    Indeed, most people want things that require no thought or skills or adaptability to deploy, which is why even trekking pole shelters and tarps still take a statistical distant backseat to framed tents.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Tarp
    11 ft winter dutch
    Insulation
    TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Spider Straps 1.5
    I feel that survey by Trek is wildly inaccurate. I would like to think that Hammocks are more commonplace than the survey makes it seem. Plus I think that you can't go by hammock brand.... I mean, what's the difference between X and Y brand of gathered Hammocks? Splitting the cottage companies makes Eno and hennessy the top Hammocks.... FYI hennesey has big signs claiming to be the most comfortable tents at traildays. I got a kick out of that.. Tent? Whut?

Hammock
    Tarp
    11 ft winter dutch
    Insulation
    TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Spider Straps 1.5
    Five years in? I can't remember for how many years that I lurked without registering, just soaking up all of the information. I believe it was close to two years. I still feel like I am learning, and still needed help figuring out some of the most simplest things. After 8 or ten years, you would think I would be past the baby stage.... Nope.

Hammock
    Tarp
    11 ft winter dutch
    Insulation
    TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Spider Straps 1.5
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Indeed, most people want things that require no thought or skills or adaptability to deploy, which is why even trekking pole shelters and tarps still take a statistical distant backseat to framed tents.
    I have heard so many people talk about having to adjust the trekking poles each night. I don't think they have an idea how much fiddle faddle goes into Hammocks.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trambo View Post
    I have heard so many people talk about having to adjust the trekking poles each night. I don't think they have an idea how much fiddle faddle goes into Hammocks.
    lol against that mindset, hammocks don't stand a chance!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts