Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hammock on Appalachian Trail

Just curious that will it be fine or too warm to bring warbonnetoutdoors Black Bird Single Layler, Wooki Underquilt 20ºF and Diamondback Topquilt 20ºF to walk from Maine to Georgia from September to January?
    Last edited by mycharliechu; 05-16-2019 at 23:26.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Gonna be tough to survive with 20* quilts in January, depending on where you are. I would not want to be in the Northeast in January with 20* quilts.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Gonna be tough to survive with 20* quilts in January, depending on where you are. I would not want to be in the Northeast in January with 20* quilts.
    Thank you for your replying, I will start in Maine in September, then will finish in Georgia in January, I hope it will be alright

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mycharliechu View Post
    Thank you for your replying, I will start in Maine in September, then will finish in Georgia in January, I hope it will be alright
    I don't think it will be all right. You better come up with a better plan than "hope." I can't even survive New Jersey in January with 20* quilts.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    I grew up not too far from Katahdin, and I now live in Florida. I use a 20° Wooki as my only UQ. I would be much more concerned about the northern late fall section of your hike than I would the southern winter part with that UQ... although you could be pushing the insulation limit in the southern states as well.

It can get quite cold up north in October, especially at elevation. Depending on where you'll be, a 20° UQ might leave you needing more.

Quote Originally Posted by mycharliechu View Post
    Just curious that will it be fine or too warm to bring warbonnetoutdoors Black Bird Single Layler, Wooki Underquilt 20ºF and Diamondback Topquilt 20ºF to walk from Maine to Georgia from September to January?
    Can't speak to the northern parts of the trail, but I'll attach a screenshot of temperature and weather data from January 2018 I got from Weather Underground. I tried to pick a weather station in north Georgia that would be somewhat representative. Elevations vary and so would the temperatures and precip, obviously, depending on where you were. Also, this is HISTORY, not a prediction. I'll note that the first week of March 2019 on the Coosa and Duncan Ridge trails, which touch the AT near Blood Mountain, I experienced a low of 18 degrees.

In North Georgia in January you can have daytime temps anywhere from the 50s to the teens depending on the front that's moving through. Nights are almost certainly below freezing, sometimes well below depending on elevation. If it were me, I'd probably want to be able to supplement my 20 degree quilts with something. At a minimum I'd have an underquilt protector along and maybe a poncho liner or pad, along with good clothing. The attachment may help.
    Jan_2018_weather_N_GA.png
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I don't think it will be all right. You better come up with a better plan than "hope." I can't even survive New Jersey in January with 20* quilts.

he won't be in New Jersey in January as he is starting in September in in Maine and heading south to Georgia.

I've camped at Grayson highlands state park in Virginia the week of the 4th of July with a 20 degree set and was fine
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    bit.ly/2m61xEz
    Tarp
    bit.ly/2mZLRIw
    Insulation
    bit.ly/2pZjkEn
    Suspension
    bit.ly/2LY6heV
    Starting SoBo in September is awfully late. Assuming you won't get to the Whites until October, traversing the Whites, especially the Presidentials, that late in the season can be dangerous. That is why the high huts in the Presidentials close for the season on September 15. With the huts closed, you will have nowhere to stay for the entire Presidential traverse, and doing a full traverse in a single day is very challenging even in the summer.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Check out Outdoor Adventures on youTube. He's using a hammock on the AT and is halfway through heading north. He started with 20 degree quilts and began February 23rd and had some cold nights so it may be worth watching his videos to see what he started with and swapped out along the way.

Hammock
    11 foot gathered hexon1.7
    Tarp
    11 ft winter dutch
    Insulation
    TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Spider Straps 1.5
    The OP sounds like he is planning a SOBO trip, during the harshest four months. The scary part, is the great sounds like 3 season gear, when four season is needed.

I personally think 0 degree quilts, as well as a winter sock are needed. The current gear list sounds torturous.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast