Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1.8 Airwave vs 1.0 ripstop

So... I’d like to make my “right of passage” DYI hammock just for the fun of it. My go to hammock and one that it would have to be as good as would be my awesome Hammock Gear 1.4 polyD. I was thinking of a 1.0 ripstop but someone mentioned the new 1.8 Airwave ripstop.

Does anyone have any experience with both?

Thank you in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    Well, the two fabrics you're asking about are definitely very different.

The following shows some of the features of Airwave 1.8. In many respects, I think the features of a 1.0 ripstop would be almost polar opposites.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/02..._chart.pdf?630

The 1.0 is going to be very slick & stretchy. The Airwave 1.8 is supposed to be very soft, but has considerable friction, and isn't going to stretch nearly as much as a 1.0.

Images
    If you buy the 1.0 HyperD for a hammock, make sure to choose the uncalendared version. Also note that the weight rating on this is 200lbs.

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/product...-ripstop-nylon

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    I have not tried 1.0, and I doubt it would hold me. I just made a 12' 1.8 Airwave and I really like how it breathes and it has the right amount of stretch at 230 lbs. SO far it is better for me in warmer weather because of the ventilation and cotton feel. I do not like how large it packs along with what I would consider a giant diy fronkey net. I am also thinking about an Asym tarp, mostly because I do not need another tarp and a 12' one would also take up a lot of space. Overall, it is more comfortable than the 6 or so other GE hammocks I have and it will be my go to hammock this year.

Great info, thank you to all! As much as I want to feel that 1.8, the fact that you mentioned it not packing as small is a pretty big factor for my current needs/wants. I think I will go for the 1.0 or maybe a 1.1.

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Can't really compare these two fabrics... They are totally different animals.

I have a few yards of the Airwave fabric I bought on sale. 1.8 is heavier fabric than I typically use, though not by much. I don't really care for the hand on that fabric and likely won't make anything from it.

on the lighter side, try 1.0 Monolite. I made an 11'r out of this fabric, with a removable half wit style bug net in 0.67, using a modified #3 coil zipper and i have to say I really like it. I have about half a dozen nights in it and find it surprisingly supportive with a nice hand and a texture that reduces sliding around. Plus being able to see through it is pretty darn cool.

My preferred fabric is 1.6 Hyper D. Tried 1.2 Robic and don't care for it as much as the any of the other fabrics.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Can't really compare these two fabrics... They are totally different animals.

I have a few yards of the Airwave fabric I bought on sale. 1.8 is heavier fabric than I typically use, though not by much. I don't really care for the hand on that fabric and likely won't make anything from it.

on the lighter side, try 1.0 Monolite. I made an 11'r out of this fabric, with a removable half wit style bug net in 0.67, using a modified #3 coil zipper and i have to say I really like it. I have about half a dozen nights in it and find it surprisingly supportive with a nice hand and a texture that reduces sliding around. Plus being able to see through it is pretty darn cool.

My preferred fabric is 1.6 Hyper D. Tried 1.2 Robic and don't care for it as much as the any of the other fabrics.
    I am a +1 on this. I made a hammock out of the Monolite and Airwave as well and I really like the Monolite as well. Not sure what I like best about the fabric but it's my favorite so far.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavyhiker View Post
    I am a +1 on this. I made a hammock out of the Monolite and Airwave as well and I really like the Monolite as well. Not sure what I like best about the fabric but it's my favorite so far.

After only four nights of testing I am going to commit to using on a multi-day hike on the Laurel Highlands Trail in two weeks..
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Let me know how it goes. I was tempted to use mine this past weekend on camping trip with the scouts but there were too many mosquitoes so I went with my trusted WBBB. It was a car camping type of trip so I had the luxury of having both with me

Coffeeneone, you've received some good feedback on this topic. Just last night I sewed up a Bridge Hammock (RBTR pre-cut DIY) out of the 1.8 Airwave. I can't yet attest to how it sleeps overnight as I'm gonna be testing that out over the next couple of weekends, but I can definitely speak to the qualities of the fabric in terms of the drape, feel, and ease of sewing.

First, out-the-gate CMC4free's assessment is spot-on. You're really talking about hammock fabrics on the opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of nearly all of their qualities. After sewing up several UQs in 1.1 ripstop, 1.0 HyperD and 1.0 Mono, there's just a night and day difference as to the feel of the fabric and the ease of sewing it. Those lightweight fabrics are all slippery as heck under a sewing machine and take some practice, but especially the 1.0 Monolite. The 1.8 Airwave feels closer to a lightweight ripstop cotton by comparison. MUCH easier to sew, IMO and if I were recommending a lightweight fabric for a first-time stitcher to get some experience on before trying to tackle Mono (or worse, Silnylon), I think Airwave would be a good fabric to get some experience on. Also, some people have described the Airwave as "soft" but that can be a bit deceiving. It very much has the drape and flow of a soft fabric, but I would describe it's actual texture as being...not rough or abrasive, per se (although relative to monolite isn't anything somewhat abrasive?)...but, it is courser somewhat like a raw silk (AKA silk noil) or linen fabric.

Also... RBTR rates the capacity of a single-layer of Airwave 1.8 at 400lbs., whereas a single layer Mono is 200#. Now... if Heavyhiker is able to hang in only a single layer of 1.0 Mono... then the "Heavy" in his/her name clearly refers to the volume of hiking done and not Heavyhiker's physical weight. I am a heavy guy (270#) and there is no way on this beautiful blue marble I would trust hanging in a single layer of Mono (at least not more than a foot off of level and rock free ground). That said, a double-layer 1.0 Mono brings you in the same weight capacity range. If weight capacity to hammock weight ratio is any significant goal of yours, I would suggest also considering the MTN 1.7 hybrid (which also comes in XL width for those that like a wider hammock in a single piece of fabric). My original intention was to make my next hammock out of the MTN Hybrid, but since the RBTR pre-cut bridge hammock kit only came in Airwave, which I'd been wanting to try anyway.

Once, I sewed in up and initially tested out the feel of my new Airwave bridge hammock, my initial feeling is that while I think I'll like the Airwave it in a bridge hammock, I don't think I'd like it as much in a GE Hammock. The reason is that in a I just don't see myself having to fight the extra friction of the Airwave when moving around in a bridge hammock the way you would in a GE that grips you all around. Consequently, I'll probably still sew up a new GE hammock out of the MTN 1.7. In the meantime, the only thing I can trust a single layer of 1.0 for is quilts and rainflies. All that said, if you're considering a single layer 1.0 Mono hammock, then clearly weight capacity isn't an issue. However, I figured I throw some extra info. out there for anyone that might be concerned about weight capacity.
    Last edited by DHClark76; 05-23-2019 at 12:37.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast