Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First hammock - HH Hyperlite or alternative?

I'm curious about trying hammock camping on lightweight cycle touring trips. I think that a system which is light and compact would be preferable to one which isn't. I'd be using it as simply somewhere to sleep rather than a base camp.

The Hyperlite is obviously available as a complete system, which might be less hassle for me as a beginner, but I've had a quick look around the Web, and see that there are probably any number of alternatives.

For example, I saw mention of Simply Light Designs, and see they sell a variety of light hammocks, along with an assymetric rainfly. I'm in the UK, so it might be slightly more hassle to import one. There are lots of options for these hammocks, and I haven't contacted Jared (or any other hammock supplier) for advice, but I suspect they might work out more expensive than the Hyperlite once I add things like a net, fly and and suspension etc.

So, I'm just wondering if the Hyperlite is a good enough hammock, or if I might be better off lookig around at some alternatives. By the way, I'm about 6ft tall, and fairly narrow/slim.
    Last edited by deejayen; 07-01-2019 at 05:48.

The Hennessy system is solid and reliable. I started with the Expedition in 2014 and still have it, though I've passed it along to my daughter.

Check the dimensions of the Hyperlite. Forget what Hennessy's website says about "fits a person up to 6 feet" or however they word it. Find the actual hammock dimensions, the fabric itself if it's listed. I think that one of the Explorer models might fit you better at your height.

For instance, the Expedition is 118 inches (300 cm) which is about 9.8 feet long. 10 foot hammocks are sort of a comfortable minimum and 11 foot hammocks are generally more comfortable for most people. I'm 5'9" about 155 pounds and found the Exped to be a bit tight at times. Since you're taller than me, I think the Hyperlite, which is 120 inches, might be a bit tight, depending on how you lie in it. The Explorer models might be more comfortable. For instance, the Explorer Ultralite Zip is listed at 132 inches long, or 11 feet. That extra foot makes a difference, in my opinion. Keep in mind this is MY opinion, not a law of nature. Only you can decide what's comfortable enough for you.

As for the rest, the Hennessy system is mostly well thought out and the pieces work together well. If you can upgrade the tarp, I'd choose the hex model over the standard asym rainfly for more coverage. The lashing knot is easy to learn, but you can also becket hitch or use some other method to set up the suspension. I'd suggest learning the lashing first and trying it out. It's slower than other methods, but again, it's not a bad system at all.

I prefer a lot of the smaller cottage vendors these days, but since you're not the US, the shipping/import fees might make such orders impractical. If Hennessy ships to the UK without those hassles, that might be a deciding factor.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Thanks very much for your helpful reply.

I hadn't thought of the length as being a problem. I'd assumed the Hyperlite would be around 11ft long, but at 10 feet it is shorter than some 'standard' hammocks. I mainly sleep on my side (both left and right sides).

The only thing is, the larger Hennessy hammocks are a fair bit heavier and bulkier than the Hyperlite, especially when you upgrade to a Hex tarp. It might not be a major problem, but one reason I'm thinking about a hammock is to try and reduce weight and pack size compared to a 1-person tent. If my calculations are correct, The Explorer Ultralite Zip with 30D Hex tarp is about 1150g excluding tree huggers etc., which is approaching the weight of my 'heavy' tent, and heavier than some lightweight tents. I suspect that by the time I add in some hammock-specific items, such as an underquilt and additional insulation, I might be carrying a heavier and bulkier load.

Yeah, hammocks with all the bits will end up being bulkier/heavier than the ultralight tents these days. But you're getting that comfort (never wake up with aches again!)

I have the Hyperlite and it's a fine hammock, really well made and comes with everything. Really like the snake skins and water collectors. Recommended! I got a free large tarp when I got mine, maybe they're doing a promotion. Use the Becket hitch, or switch to cinch buckles (that's what I should do)

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Most folks find that a complete hammock set up (hammock, tarp, suspension, & quilts) are a bit heavier than one of the ultra light tent set ups. Bulk, for me, is about the same. What I lose in weight I gain in comfort.

I have two HH products (Expedition and Explorer) I am 5'2" and find them both comfortable along with easy to set up. My brother is 6'3" and sleeps well in either of them also. Comfort is very individual so you may find all of our suggestions moot for you.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    The Hennessy system is solid and reliable. I started with the Expedition in 2014 and still have it, though I've passed it along to my daughter.

Check the dimensions of the Hyperlite. Forget what Hennessy's website says about "fits a person up to 6 feet" or however they word it. Find the actual hammock dimensions, the fabric itself if it's listed. I think that one of the Explorer models might fit you better at your height.

For instance, the Expedition is 118 inches (300 cm) which is about 9.8 feet long. 10 foot hammocks are sort of a comfortable minimum and 11 foot hammocks are generally more comfortable for most people. I'm 5'9" about 155 pounds and found the Exped to be a bit tight at times. Since you're taller than me, I think the Hyperlite, which is 120 inches, might be a bit tight, depending on how you lie in it. The Explorer models might be more comfortable. For instance, the Explorer Ultralite Zip is listed at 132 inches long, or 11 feet. That extra foot makes a difference, in my opinion. Keep in mind this is MY opinion, not a law of nature. Only you can decide what's comfortable enough for you.

As for the rest, the Hennessy system is mostly well thought out and the pieces work together well. If you can upgrade the tarp, I'd choose the hex model over the standard asym rainfly for more coverage. The lashing knot is easy to learn, but you can also becket hitch or use some other method to set up the suspension. I'd suggest learning the lashing first and trying it out. It's slower than other methods, but again, it's not a bad system at all.

I prefer a lot of the smaller cottage vendors these days, but since you're not the US, the shipping/import fees might make such orders impractical. If Hennessy ships to the UK without those hassles, that might be a deciding factor.
    Good summary, I more or less agree with all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    Most folks find that a complete hammock set up (hammock, tarp, suspension, & quilts) are a bit heavier than one of the ultra light tent set ups. Bulk, for me, is about the same. What I lose in weight I gain in comfort.

I have two HH products (Expedition and Explorer) I am 5'2" and find them both comfortable along with easy to set up. My brother is 6'3" and sleeps well in either of them also. Comfort is very individual so you may find all of our suggestions moot for you.
    That is interesting that your 6'3" brother still sleeps well in the shorter expedition. Interesting, but not all that surprising to me.

Deejayen, I am 6'1", 205 lbs. I started with the HH UL Explorer in 2006, and remain happy with that model to this day. I have no significant complaints with it, at least none that I don't also have with many other much more popular gathered end(GE) hammocks. Problems which- unless willing to use a large knee pillow(which I am willing to do)- are only fully solved with a bridge hammock, which has it's own- and different- set of pros and cons. But for me, in the world of GEs, the HH Explorer UL(11 ft) has been just fine.

However, many(most?) folks here find the longer hammocks(like an Explorer) more comfy than the shorter(like a Hyperlite) GE hammocks. I have not really had that experience, though I am over 6 ft. One of my all time fav GE hammocks is the Claytor No Net, which is skinny(4 ft) and 10 ft long. I have never really been able to beat the over all comfort of this hammock with any other GE. Even more so, I have an even shorter(though not as skinny) Speer hammock( I think about 9 ft long) which is quite comfy over all. It is actually the best GE I have tried for being consistently free of that old nemesis of painful calf pressure. But, I do find a hint of knee extension with it, so I end up needing a small knee pillow anyway. And I can not sleep on my side with legs straight. But in fetal position, or on my back with a knee pillow? Equal to anything I have tried, and the champ among GEs for no calf pressure.

IOW, I find that there are many variables other than length or width which determine MY comfort in a GE hammock.

The HH Hyperlite, with stock tarp, weighs 1 lb 12 oz. If you wanted to go with the longer Explorer UL zip, the weight with tarp is
    2 lbs, 4 oz.(the non zip, bottom entry is 2 oz less). So that will cost you about 8 oz and about 10% more bulk.

Re: the larger Hex tarp: the 11.9 long X 10 ft wide Hex tarp is 70D PU material, coming in at 27 oz.

I can not get the specs for the asym tarps to pull up, but my asym (standard) tarp is 11.7 oz(for the longer Explorer). But, I also have a Hex 12 foot HH tarp with lighter sil-nylon material which I think runs about 19 oz. So, if desired, you can get a larger HH tarp at a much lower weight than the standard HH hex tarp weight.

If you can buy HHs in your country, not having to pay the large shipping charges and taxes if sent from the USA, I would think that would be a huge factor.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-02-2019 at 09:04.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Hennesey's are fine hammocks for a lot of people and were the schiz back in the day. They are quite expensive now for what they are, (short, heavy and less desirable). This is important in that getting your money back out of them by reselling them is harder. If you are ok in a shorter hammock this is a quick, turn key operation and you can pick them up in places like REI.

If you desire a lighter, perhaps nicer fabric in a longer hammock, well, you have options. Dutch has a starter kit which really isn't all that more expensive than an HH all in one deal.

It's an absolute pain in the backside to get a decent hammock in the UK without paying absurd shipping/customs fees. HH (buy from Amazon, not HH directly to avoid shipping fees) is one of the better options going. Simply Light Designs have the cheapest international shipping of the really good American vendors, and can be cheaper than the Ultralight, even after shipping and customs. There's also the DD Chill-Out hammock (the only one of their hammocks worth considering: still overweight for what it is, and still needs the suspension swapping out, but at least it's not absurdly short), and easyhammock.co.uk, if you like sewn-in bugnets.

Tarps are relatively easy to get in the UK: apart from Henessey, there are loads of decent retailers on Amazon, and they all work nicely. Even DDs tarps aren't bad, though they do tend to be massive and proportionally heavy.

Insulation-wise, there are some down top/underquilts on Amazon, though I can't testify to the quality of any of them (one of the TQs is made by Paria Outdoors, though, and I do own several other bits of their kit, and it's all good quality). THere are also some decent quality down throws on there that are easy to make into topquilts/underquilts, if you don't mind a little bit of work to save some cash.

Suspension is easy to get over here: Henge Hammocks on ebay sells all sorts of bling/cordage/etc., largely imported from the US. You can also get decent tree straps and amsteel from DD (though they inexplicably use abysmal webbing on their hammocks).
    Last edited by bluesam3; 07-02-2019 at 10:12.

Thanks very much for all the great info.

I've just discovered Henge Hammocks after watching a video about making whoopee slings. I suspect I'll buy some hardware from them, and I'll also be tempted to buy a splicing kit and Amsteel to have a bash at making my own suspension.

I think I just need to try a hammock. If I find them comfy then I can see that it's well worth carrying a little extra weight. Additional bulk is more of a problem, but the system can be split down and stored in different pouches, and there are no poles to worry about, so a lightweight hammock system might be quite easy to live with.

I'm still tempted by some of the SLD products. However, while their baseline prices seem very attractive, adding a few options such as lighter fabrics, continuous loops, pull-outs, and suspension can almost double that.

Quote Originally Posted by deejayen View Post
    Thanks very much for all the great info.

I've just discovered Henge Hammocks after watching a video about making whoopee slings. I suspect I'll buy some hardware from them, and I'll also be tempted to buy a splicing kit and Amsteel to have a bash at making my own suspension.

I think I just need to try a hammock. If I find them comfy then I can see that it's well worth carrying a little extra weight. Additional bulk is more of a problem, but the system can be split down and stored in different pouches, and there are no poles to worry about, so a lightweight hammock system might be quite easy to live with.

I'm still tempted by some of the SLD products. However, while their baseline prices seem very attractive, adding a few options such as lighter fabrics, continuous loops, pull-outs, and suspension can almost double that.
    I've never found any particular benefits from pullouts or continuous loops, honestly, and suspension is really easy to make yourself.

Splicing tool wise, I've used a bunch, but never found anything better than a bit of floristry wire folded in half.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast