Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Insulation
    Wooki Underquilt.
    Suspension
    Tree Straps
    I started some years ago with a Clark NX-150. A very expensive hammock that was well made and worked well... except I couldn't ever really sleep in it. I am a side sleeper. I tried for a couple of years to train myself to be a back sleeper but it didn't work. I finally sold the Clark and went back to the ground in an MSR Hubba. That was until I discovered the WBBB about 3 years ago! Now the tent is in my growing pile of camping gear that I have but don't use. (I'm sure everyone can relate to that LOL).
    So now I am pretty good with the BB and the Woopi underquilt but the more I read, the more I have the bug in me to spring for the RR. The only thing really holding me back is I try to go ultralight as much as possible and the RR would add a bit to my pack weight. The other issue is how the spreader bars would fit in my 32 liter summer pack. Any advise or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Bluegill13,I have only tried napping in a GE hammock but found it super uncomfortable. Being a side sleeper like you I was skeptical of a bridge hammock but I figured I would try it. Game changer for me. I did a week in the Boundary Waters in May with the Ridgerunner and was amazed at how well I slept and how good my body felt in the morning. No sore back or hips from the hard cold ground. In my opinion the extra weight would be worth it. Not sure about fitting bars in your pack but I would try to figure it out. Just my 2 cents.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Insulation
    Wooki Underquilt.
    Suspension
    Tree Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Moray View Post
    Bluegill13,I have only tried napping in a GE hammock but found it super uncomfortable. Being a side sleeper like you I was skeptical of a bridge hammock but I figured I would try it. Game changer for me. I did a week in the Boundary Waters in May with the Ridgerunner and was amazed at how well I slept and how good my body felt in the morning. No sore back or hips from the hard cold ground. In my opinion the extra weight would be worth it. Not sure about fitting bars in your pack but I would try to figure it out. Just my 2 cents.
    Thanks for the reply. I am going to go ahead and order the RR. Now I am debating on the configuration to order. Definitely the bug net! The bottom I guess is the question. I absolutely love my underquilt with the BB so I imagine I will eventually get an underquilt for the RR. However, I can't afford to spring for both items at the same time so I am leaning toward getting the RR with the 30d fabric and a double bottom. I weight around 150lbs so I think that would let me go with a pad sometimes or even no insulation in the hot summer and maybe by this winter I can add the underquilt.
    One other question... The Warbonnet site says you can order the RR with no suspension (just continuous loops). What dose that mean and can I swap out my tree straps from my BB when using the RR?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueGill13 View Post
    One other question... The Warbonnet site says you can order the RR with no suspension (just continuous loops). What dose that mean and can I swap out my tree straps from my BB when using the RR?
    At each end of the hammock, there are two dogbones (lengths of cord with loops at both ends) which start at the corners of the hammock and meet at a triangular buckle at the apex. There is a continuous loop attached to each of the triangular apex buckles, but no suspension other than that. You can use whatever tree straps and suspension you like. If your existing suspension you want to reuse is cinch buckles, you'll have to remove the continuous loops from the RR and replace them with the continuous loops (from your BB) that the buckles are spliced onto.

Or get a second set of these to put on your RR and just swap the straps themselves over.
    https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/product/1-buckle-set/
    However, this set of buckles is $10 and for $15 you could get a full, dedicated strap/buckle suspension with your RR.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 06-24-2019 at 09:15.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    I have a DL RR. I started out using a pad but moved to an UQ. I am glad I got the DL because I still have the option to use a pad.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    "Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing."
    - Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    My spreader bars go in the side pocket of my pack along with my tarps poles. If you have a tarp that you can spread out a little bit with a pole mod, it will help a lot with the Ridge Runner not hitting or even poking through the side of the tarp (which I have never really been too worried about). If you are really worried about the additional weight of a bridge, you can cut the weight of the spreader bars in half by ordering a set of carbon fiber bars from Rota Locura (www.rutalocura.com). I don't think that Josh has them listed on his website, but just drop him an email. I think that they are around $100.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueGill13 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I am going to go ahead and order the RR. Now I am debating on the configuration to order. Definitely the bug net! The bottom I guess is the question. I absolutely love my underquilt with the BB so I imagine I will eventually get an underquilt for the RR. However, I can't afford to spring for both items at the same time so I am leaning toward getting the RR with the 30d fabric and a double bottom. I weight around 150lbs so I think that would let me go with a pad sometimes or even no insulation in the hot summer and maybe by this winter I can add the underquilt.
    I have the double bottom. I also weigh around 150lbs. I used a pad and a underquilt because May in Minnesota can be pretty cold. That combo was very comfortable for me.I like the feel of a pad under me. It helps me lay flatter. I tried my 21” pad but keep falling off the edge of it so I bought a wider one and it worked great. I know you are weight conscious so a wider pad may not be for you. I’m not sure about suspension questions but maybe Brandon from WB will answer for you.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    I definately would recommend getting a double layer RR and using an inflatable pad (about 25" wide; only partialy filled with air), for much more comfortable sleep. People seem to like the Klymit pads; I'm happy with my green Sea to Summit pad. An inflatable pad makes the RR feel wider, more like a cot.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Insulation
    Wooki Underquilt.
    Suspension
    Tree Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by ChacMool View Post
    I definately would recommend getting a double layer RR and using an inflatable pad (about 25" wide; only partialy filled with air), for much more comfortable sleep. People seem to like the Klymit pads; I'm happy with my green Sea to Summit pad. An inflatable pad makes the RR feel wider, more like a cot.
    I'm glad to hear the klymit inflatable pads work well. I ordered the Klymit Static V2 about 2 weeks ago to use on hot nights instead of the underquilt in my BB. it is 23 inches wide and lightweight and packs down small. However, I wasn't that impressed with using it in my double layer BB. I was thinking about sending it back but I guess I will keep it and try it in the RR. If nothing else, it will be a good pad when and if I ever use my MSR Hubba tent
    Last edited by BlueGill13; 06-24-2019 at 20:08.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Insulation
    Wooki Underquilt.
    Suspension
    Tree Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    At each end of the hammock, there are two dogbones (lengths of cord with loops at both ends) which start at the corners of the hammock and meet at a triangular buckle at the apex. There is a continuous loop attached to each of the triangular apex buckles, but no suspension other than that. You can use whatever tree straps and suspension you like. If your existing suspension you want to reuse is cinch buckles, you'll have to remove the continuous loops from the RR and replace them with the continuous loops (from your BB) that the buckles are spliced onto.

Or get a second set of these to put on your RR and just swap the straps themselves over.
    https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/product/1-buckle-set/
    However, this set of buckles is $10 and for $15 you could get a full, dedicated strap/buckle suspension with your RR.
    Yeah, you are right. Sometimes saving a few bucks isn't worth the hassle. I will just get the straps from Brandon at the same time.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast