DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Years ago I had an Outdoor Research "Air Purge" or something like that compression sack. I no longer use compression sacks, but I wish they made something like this in a simple dry bag with a tiny valve or material to let the air out. No matter what, they always reinflate some, especially my large liner for quilts.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    heres a pic20191001_141231.jpg

Thats a 20 degree HG Phoenix and a 20 degree Warbonnet tq on the left.Puffy jacket and night clothes on the right.Bags weigh 2 oz each.Saved 1.5 oz over my previous bagging system which consisted of a separate Base Camp bag for each inside a compactor bag.

I unzipped the size small bags,put in the goods,shut it,opened valve and mashed the air out and closed the valve.Appears air and water tight to me and it fit quite nicely in my ULA Circuit.All my other gear is in its own stuff sack so I dont see any problem with moisture.

Anybody else ditched their pack cover?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Looks good. I can't wait to try this. I keep putting it off and forgetting. I still don't like the idea of rolling...seems rough. Maybe I can just fold once and push the air out?

I can't come to skip my pack cover. It's sort of like wearing a rain jacket in town, but still using an umbrella. Sounds redundant, but not really.
    Last edited by OneClick; 10-02-2019 at 08:37.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Looks good. I can't wait to try this. I keep putting it off and forgetting. I still don't like the idea of rolling...seems rough. Maybe I can just fold once and push the air out?

I can't come to skip my pack cover. It's sort of like wearing a rain jacket in town, but still using an umbrella. Sounds redundant, but not really.
    Actually,I did not roll or fold anything.Just put stuff in the bag past the indicator line,zip it closed,open the valve and mash down on the package until you're satisfied and close the valve.Personally,since it's down,I did not use mechanical pump included or overdo the compression and got a pretty nice result.

Images
    I always take my pack cover anyway. I use it as:

Pack cover
    Kitchen table (spreads all my cooking stuff out on the ground without getting dirty)
    Hang bag (when cinched)
    Floor mat (for backpack when raining)
    Pants protector (for sitting on wet or sappy logs)

Wow! Just wow! I have tried every trick in the book to keep my knees from trying to bend backwards or be smashed together in a gathered end. My anatomy, leg length, knee health..., or just general wierdness have kept me from being truly comfortable in a GE until I bought a $1.00 vacuum bag from The Dollar Tree from reading this thread. Just a few puffs of air, and 1/2 of a thermarest foam pad laid on top has just given me the most comfortable couple of nights sleeping in a Clark Hammock that I have ever had. Then when I got done, I packed my down UQ and TQ along with my pillow into the bag, pushed most of the air out, and they fitted nicely in my motorcycle drybag. In addition, I packed a couple sets of clean-dry clothes in other same type bags, and after showering then re-placed the wet stinky clothes in same pack for transport back home. Turned bags inside out for drying and will be ready to use again. Thanks!!!!

Images
    If also using as a knee pillow, will the valve not allow the air to escape? Not if the valce van be opened and closed, but which brands have that ability? All of them?

No air escaped from the one I used. It has a one way valve and a separate screw on cap. Stands to reason if it will hold vacuum, should hold slight pressure

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by inspectorguy View Post
    No air escaped from the one I used. It has a one way valve and a separate screw on cap. Stands to reason if it will hold vacuum, should hold slight pressure
    Some have screw closed caps valves, some simply have one way valves(best I can tell looking online) which allow air to exit, but not enter. Which brand/type did you use?

Not really sure what brand. They were the just the large size at Dollar Tree.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast