DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Very cool!! I saw this on youtube (probably an HF member) years ago but he was rolling them up from the bottom, which seemed VERY stressful on the down. But simply packing them in like I would in a drybag would be great. That's what I don't like about my normal pack liner...just when I think I have it all packed down nice, another push shows that there is a lot more air left inside. So I have to unroll and let the air back out.

Just during last weekend's trip I thought about using a heavy, large ziploc. Cheap on ebay. Not as fancy, but still easy to let air out and zip shut.

Hammock
    DH Raven, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Why You Need a Vacuum Bag

Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    The ones I have are an off-brand I got from the dollar store. The wrapper mentioned using a vacuum, but I can easily poke the valve and squeeze the air out. This worked great in the field. To inflate, i open the zipper a little bit and just blow in.

I was also concerned about long term damage, but I don’t suppose putting something in this bag would be much different than cramming something down into the bottom of my backpack and having all the compression straps tightened down.
    Do you ever find that a 20”x24” would be better, or is the 16x24” pretty perfect?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdy98p View Post
    Do you ever find that a 20”x24” would be better, or is the 16x24” pretty perfect?
    I don’t imagine it makes much difference. You can change the perceived size just by changing how much air you use when using it as a pillow. As a packing bag, the size I have works great in my 65L bag for containing both quilts and a pillow.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Im going to try the vacuum bag just to see if I can move to a smaller pack.I have always just crammed my two quilts into a bag inside the compactor bag liner and they always are bulky.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner, Extra wide XLC clone
    Tarp
    RSBR silpoly
    Insulation
    Down, lots of down
    Suspension
    BIAS anchor,amstee
    The plastic used on the Ziplock seems really crunchy and brittle. I often thought of cutting the valve out and using it on a sil-nylon roll top, but never really required it because you squeeze all the air out before you fold it closed.

How rugged is the plastic?

I ask for two reasons (possibly requiring opposite answers):
    1. Is it likely to get a puncture and be useless? (Even worse if it happens in the middle of a trip.)
    2. Is it crinkly when used as a pillow?

I absolutely LOVE this idea, and I'll be purchasing one (or a few), on my next visit to the dollar store or the Big W.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by framjam View Post
    How rugged is the plastic?

I ask for two reasons (possibly requiring opposite answers):
    1. Is it likely to get a puncture and be useless? (Even worse if it happens in the middle of a trip.)
    2. Is it crinkly when used as a pillow?

I absolutely LOVE this idea, and I'll be purchasing one (or a few), on my next visit to the dollar store or the Big W.
    It's actually fairly rugged. If you're a dummy and go off fighting zombies with it, of course you can puncture it. But i have been using mine on several trips and also use it indoors for months and it has been fine. Eventually the ziplock will wear out, but you definitely get your money's worth at $1 each.

I use mine as a knee and back pillow, not a head pillow. I think it would be too clammy and recommend using a down jacket instead.

I live in a fairly zombie-free part of the continent, so I think I'll be ok, there.

I certainly wouldn't put my head directly on it. I was thinking of wrapping a fleece jacket around it, but using it for shape maintenance. (My jacket always seems to octopus its way out of a real pillow shape, some time in the middle of a good dream...I suppose if I was dreaming about zombies, I would welcome the interruption.)

Hammock
    DIY basic
    Tarp
    Amazon Special
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Just remember, if you're dreaming about zombies, do not use the ziploc as a shield, as zombies will be able to puncture it.

Hammock
    Oak Creek Lost Valley
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Suspension
    ENO Helios
    This is a really cool idea, thanks for sharing.
    "Hike until the signals Weak"

Signal Outdoors YouTube

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast