Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneShootn View Post
    Interesting, but if you ever make another video, please do it horizontally (landscape) and not vertically (portrait).
    for you bro for you!!

https://youtu.be/Q0Z9TiMFDMI
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JT4446 View Post
    Still using my pulley system with a "no tree" connection using the Jeff Myers all-in-one setup. I spent three straight weeks with this set-up camping by a lake.

The main thing I like is having a hanging line under the tarp. I hang my pack and have a clothesline I can hang stuff from to dry or air out under the tarp. The only downside I have found is when the trees are too close together. Gotta have 15 feet or more between trees.
    15+ is always good!
    J. Garcia
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    Quote Originally Posted by JT4446 View Post
    Still using my pulley system with a "no tree" connection using the Jeff Myers all-in-one setup. I spent three straight weeks with this set-up camping by a lake.
    Could you guys fill me in on this method? I have used the MyersTech all-in-one one tarp suspension... in fact, it was one motivator for me to start using whoopies instead of straps, as the prusiks grip Amsteel better than they do 1" dyneema/poly. But what is the pulley system?

I see how the biners could be used as pulleys, and I see what might be a pull cord in your video up under the tarp... but What's the purpose of the pulley? Just to tension the tarp? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
    Could you guys fill me in on this method?
    I'm with Snaps. What exactly is a "no-line tarp suspension" and what's the purpose of the "pulleys"? Is it just a method of tensioning a tarp ridgeline attached to the hammock suspension vs an independent ridgeline?

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Hmmmm.

Your tarp will connect to your hammock suspension at points that are a consistent distance from each end of the hammock.

My whoopie slings are attached directly to my hammock, with no CL. That means I can attach permanent mount points on them a couple of feet up from each end of the hammock. I should be able to quickly mount a tarp to them with some beefy shockcord. Hammock and tarp could even go in the same stuff sack and both hung at the same time (as long as the tarp never gets wet...)

The advantage of this system is I have no need for my tarp's continuous ridgeline. That's a fairly light item, but is slightly troublesome to put up and take down.

The disadvantage is the larger minimum distance between trees. And when it's raining, it would be difficult or impossible to put the tarp up first and take it down last.

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle

NO-LINE tarp suspension

Quote Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
    What exactly is a "no-line tarp suspension"...
    I can answer this part: my original Hennessy hammock had long Spectra lines connected at the gathered ends as hammock suspension. The tarp was designed to tie right to those lines with prusiks... there was no tarp ridgeline. Jeff Myers has what he calls the "all-in-one" tarp suspension which does the same thing. It has some prusiks, some loops used as handles to tension the prusiks, and some toggles to connect to the tarp. As far as I know, there is no lighter tarp suspension, but it does have some limitations depending on the relative lengths of your hammock and tarp, your hang angle, and so on. Plus it works much better with round cordage than it does with flat straps.

There are many ways to do it, but "no-line tarp suspension" just means that you're fastening your tarp to your hammock suspension.

I still don't know what the pulleys are for, though.

EDIT: Baka Dasai responded as I was posting. Good explanation of the "cons" of the no-line tarp suspension.

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    so, lemme put in two valuable cents on several points:
    the no-line tarp suspension is having your tarp on the same suspension you have your hammock, there are a couple ways to make it happen. in my latest (landscape) video i didn't have the hammock up, but the straps are hanging right under the tarp ready for J-Bends.
    i don't use the pulleys (from a two-line tarp suspension created by another innovator i fail to recall) because i have already broken zing-it once pulling tightly against the pulleys. the pulleys are what inspired my lineless system. they make adjusting the tarp head-to-foot over the hammock really easy, and also leaves a sturdy line underneath your tarp to dangle stuff off of thereby tightening the tarp. i even still have one on the klemheist that i don't use. valid, works. i don't wanna pulley, i just use the 'biners with no line. my tarp has doubled 1/8" shock cord at the ridgeline tie outs to connect to the 'biners on my straps.
    i put the tarp up on the hammock straps first, slide the klemheists tight, then J-Bend my hammock up. Jeff's tugloops are brilliant, and his system seems to be pretty much what mine is. mine is all paracord and front yard experiments, while his stuff is all professional dyneema coolness.
    i have had zero issues with unwanted sliding of klemheists on straps, i use poly straps not dyneema.
    J. Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
    I can answer this part:
    And in words a noob can understand clearly. Thanks! That's what I've been running since I started. HH with the factory prusik "no-line tarp suspension" (and didn't even know it).

Quote Originally Posted by Theguywitheyebrows View Post
    they make adjusting the tarp head-to-foot over the hammock really easy, and also leaves a sturdy line underneath your tarp to dangle stuff off of
    Okay. That makes perfect sense now. I rather like the idea of having a hanging line.

Appreciate y'all taking the time and patience to explain it out.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    [QUOTE=Theguywitheyebrows;1984384]for you bro for you!!

https://youtu.be/Q0Z9TiMFDMI[/QUOTE

Hammock is horizontal, lines are horizontal, even the horizon is horizontal, which, I suppose, is redundant, as horizontal means, basically, like the horizon. And now camera is horizontal. Good choice.

I use a one-piece ridgeline above the tarp and attache the tarp with Klemheist knots, but I run a line under my tarp, too, to take the strain off the tarp. I use 1/2" polypro webbing. Lightweight and very strong, and I thought the width would be better for the tarp than a round line. Of course, I could be wrong. So, I'm actually attaching the webbing to the ridgeline and can pull it as tight as I want with minimal strain on the tarp. In fact, most of the strain on the tarp comes from the guy-outs.

I see you have a little camping partner there. Got him a rig yet?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    nice...

I played with this same setup a few years ago. It was the one instance where Dyneema tree straps were actually an advantage because their tendency to bunch up into a rope allowed the tarp prussik to slide more easily.

Shock cord is key.. I used it only at the ground corners.

Where you have the shock cord at the ridge tie out, I used zingit with a DWG Hook Worm that clipped to the tie out.. this allowed me to position the tarp higher or lower and keep it tight.. shock cord keeps the tension for you.

I used a button knot, girth hitched to the strap, so the zingit could be removed if using the straps more traditionally, with a standard tarp RL setup.

I also tried a DWG Double Whoopie Hook in Speed Hook configuration, which i later ditched.

Can't remember why I stopped exploring this..

Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast