Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck

Pierre SD

Looking for a great spot to hang near Pierre, also making the trip to Mt Rushmore, would love to come back with epic pics!!!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC/Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    Not familiar with the Pierre area, but the Black Hills Area is extremely beautiful! We vacationed a few times up there and based our trip out of Hill City. I can clearly remember heading north up 385 towards Deadwood and passing a couple amazing looking lakes, Sheridan Lake and Pactola reservoir. This was long before I hammock camped, but I'm sure there are many areas there that would be perfect. I just looked up Sheridan Lake South Shore campground's website and it looks to have numerous trees to hang from, I would scope that area out for sure. So many things to do and see in that area!

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Quote Originally Posted by TyRod View Post
    Not familiar with the Pierre area, but the Black Hills Area is extremely beautiful! We vacationed a few times up there and based our trip out of Hill City. I can clearly remember heading north up 385 towards Deadwood and passing a couple amazing looking lakes, Sheridan Lake and Pactola reservoir. This was long before I hammock camped, but I'm sure there are many areas there that would be perfect. I just looked up Sheridan Lake South Shore campground's website and it looks to have numerous trees to hang from, I would scope that area out for sure. So many things to do and see in that area!
    Awesome!!!! Will check it out for sure!!!!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I can't help you with a hang spot but if you're in Pierre for the night treat yourself to dinner at Cattleman's Steakhouse. One of the best steaks I've ever had.

I've only been through Pierre once but I don't recall many trees. Lot of open grassland.

The Black Hills are beautiful for sure. Enjoy your trip!
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    can't really help you out on information for pierre, other than that most of the trees you are going to find are gonna be in parks or along the missouri river but if you want information on the black hills i can probably answer most any question you have

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Yeah plus one on heading for the Black Hills of SD, especially near Deadwood, where you can try your hand at panning for gold "prospector style"! Deadwood is only 3.5 hours drive from Pierre.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    Yeah plus one on heading for the Black Hills of SD, especially near Deadwood, where you can try your hand at panning for gold "prospector style"! Deadwood is only 3.5 hours drive from Pierre.
    We plan on staying overnight in Rapid city! We might have time to hit Deadwood

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Smckinney0031 View Post
    We plan on staying overnight in Rapid city! We might have time to hit Deadwood
    How long do you intend on staying in the area? There is so much to see around Mt. Rushmore that after two seperate week long trips to the area we were never able to fit in Deadwood nor even Spearfish.

Mt Rushmore itself holds several hours worth of interest.
    The scenic drives of Custer Sate Park can consume a full day. I preferred The Needles Highway and the Peter Norbeck scenic byway; the kids preferred the Wildlife Loop - Bison, Praire dogs and Burros were the hightlights. The burros are relentless.
    Want to hang overnight? The Black Elk Wlderness allows dispersed camping with unlimited hiking and hanging opportunities. Black Elk Peak (Formerly Harney Peak) will take your breath away...OK I am an old fat guy so it was quite the climb. The view is nice as well.
    Jewel Cave, Wind Cave and Rushmore Cave are each worth a look. If you pick just one choose Jewel.
    Pan for Gold in Downtown Keystone.
    Don't miss the Cosmos mystery Area.
    Tip: Reptile Gardens is more interesting than Bear Country but nothing more cute than the baby bears at play.
    Swing by SD Air and Space Museum if you are ready for a break from driving. It's free to walk around the retired aircraft. There is a fee if you want to tour a missle silo.
    Chapel in the Hills is remarkable but seemed like a longer drive than it was worth, it was our last stop on the way out of town. Free to tour.
    We viewed Crazy Horse monument from the visitor center. There is a fee if you want to tour it up close.
    Hot Springs is a bit of a drive but, the Manmoth Site is remarkable and well worth the trip. You'll spend about 4 hours there. After visiting Manmoth site, take in a swim at the Hot Springs, really more like Tepid Springs but, rejuvenating none the less.
    Bad Lands - If you haven't seen it don't miss it.
    Wall Drug- I could say skip it but, after 282 billboards telling you visit, you almost certainly will.

It has been about 3 years since our last visit. Clearly, I am due for another.

Sorry, I can't be more helpful for info around Pierre. I was only there once and I don't recall seeing a tree.

Enjoy your trip.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    so here is my advice for visiting the black hills

i know you said you are doing mount rushmore, i always tell people to do crazy horse, i feel there is much more to see at crazy horse, although it is a work in progress, the scale is so much larger that mount rushmore (about 10x) you can fit entire mount rushmore under crazy horses arm on the sculpture, but it is not completed which is one knock some people put on crazy horse when comparing the 2, i prefer crazy horse much more

if you want to do a couple of drives, for the southern hills i would choose the needles highway in custer state park and if your in that area, iron mountain road is also awesome, in the northern part of the hills where i live, spearfish canyon is as pretty of drive as you can have with lots of hiking in the area

i tend to try and steer people to the less touristy stuff we have here, that said if you like to hike there are trailheads and hiking trails all over the hills, my advice is instead of "seeing" the black hills you get out and "experience" the black hills and imo the best way to park at a trailhead and start walking, you can find all the trail information online with a simple google search

towns to visit that are cool to check out are, deadwood, lots of western history there, hill city has an artists vibe to it, custer is a nice town but not as much walking around stuff to look at as the other 2, all the towns in the area have some sort of mining or western history to them

a few local places to eat that are great, black hills burgers in custer, dough trader pizza in spearfish, if in hill city, alpine inn is a must, my favorite for the entire hills is lewies burgers and brews, just outside lead (pronounce leed) a dive bar at it's best!

so there is about 2% of the stuff you can do in the hills, hard to really go wrong anywhere, just don't tell anyone we're trying to keep this place a secret!

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    We have plans to stay over night in Rapid City at his point. I am with 2 non hikers/campers. We for sure plan Rushmore and Crazy Horse. As I have promised pics of Crazy horse to someone who was there in the 70s after he recovered from a war injury. I know we r gonna hit Cosmos as well. I only have 1.5 days in the area. The other 2 are gonna be spent closer to Pierre as my host has other obligations on Thursday evening!

You guys are awesome! Thank you so much!

• + New Posts