Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from MN

Hello from MN

Hello Folks,
    Just wanted to drop in and introduce myself. I'm completely fresh to the world of hammock camping, so I'll be making heavy use of the search box. My brother and I are planning our first canoe trip in the Boundary Waters late this summer, and I'm on the hunt for a setup to replace my old tent. I had a back injury a few years ago that, while it didn't take away much function, makes sleeping on the ground far less palatable than it used to be. So far I've racked up a whole one night of sleep outdoors, and even with the learning curve it was the best sleep I can recall having outdoors in a very long time.

I look forward to chatting with you all, driving myself crazy with research, and I can't wait to get some more time hanging outdoors.

-Jason

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Welcome to the forums, Jason! I live over in Wisconsin, but I was born in Minnesota! (way up north so no where near you).

There have been a couple Minnesotans who have ventured over to join us at some of the hammock hangs in Wisconsin. I'm hosting one over Memorial Day at Wildcat Mtn S.P. (about 3 hours away from you). Feel free to join us if you can. Otherwise, I hope to hang with you soon!
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Hi Karla, thanks for the warm welcome. That sounds like a great opportunity, but my Memorial Day weekend is already spoken for with some camping time with the family . I'll have to keep an eye out for more events in the future though.

Hi JasumX and welcome to the forums. Go ahead and burn up that search box; it's probably here if it's related to hammocks.
    Cheers.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties
    Welcome... Here's my BWCA setup from last year.

I like a Winter Tarp w/ doors for the BWCA. You can never predict the winds / storms you will get up there and you cannot always camp in areas that are protected from the wind.

My setup is a UGQ Winter Dream 12 w/ End Pole Mods.... I LOVE this tarp. You can go from a sunny vista, "porch mode" to hunkered down, "Oh-Chit" mode in 30sec w/o leaving the tarp. For less severe rains you can lie in leisure with the porch open and watch the rains come down. It's my favorite hammock item (next to an underquilt, which THE 1st thing to invest in).

The buttoned up picture is from a hillside site at a Scout camp... the light rain came from Uphill... with the UGQ setup, I was able to lower one side and still have a vista to the downhill side.

Plenty of good options for Under Quilts... I have custom quilts from UGQ and Hammock Gear as well as the Econ line from HG. A 30deg UQ and 40 deg TQ will suffice for most spring/fall BWCA trips down to the upper 30's.

Shown is a Dutchware Chameleon with integrated / removable bugnet. I also have a bottom entry or "Fronkey" bugnet, which I almost prefer and you can match to any gathered end hammock.

In my last BWCA trip with 3 tenters and me being the only hanger... I was the only one who stayed completely dry in 3 nights of rains (with beautiful days, thankfully).

Have fun.. enjoy the journey!

22042247_1851431354871161_2288528450794259956_o.jpg
    17493205_1632275543453411_2311794228542423425_o.jpg

Thanks for the info Us5Camp! That tarp looks pretty amazing, though I must admit to a bit of sticker shock with the full End Pole kit added. I think that'll have to be a future upgrade

My current hammock is a relatively inexpensive deal I got off Amazon, and over the past couple days I've noticed an unfortunate design choice. It's a crazy wide hammock at 84 inches. (I went WAY overboard as I'm 6'3" 255# and am always concerned about fitment). That probably wouldn't be a problem except in order to get that length the manufacturer used a 5' piece of fabric in the center with a 1' piece on each side stitched together. The end result is that the hammock material stretches, but the stitched portions don't. It's fine when using a sleeping pad as that tends to obscure the uneven feeling, but it's not nearly as comfortable laying in the hammock by itself.

So I'm back to square one... I did just order a Dutchware Netless Wide to try out 11' x 68" with no seams and see how that feels. Hopefully that will work well, and I can build the rest of my hammock system from there.

Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties
    Quote Originally Posted by JasumX View Post
    Thanks for the info Us5Camp! That tarp looks pretty amazing, though I must admit to a bit of sticker shock with the full End Pole kit added. I think that'll have to be a future upgrade

My current hammock is a relatively inexpensive deal I got off Amazon, and over the past couple days I've noticed an unfortunate design choice. It's a crazy wide hammock at 84 inches. (I went WAY overboard as I'm 6'3" 255# and am always concerned about fitment). That probably wouldn't be a problem except in order to get that length the manufacturer used a 5' piece of fabric in the center with a 1' piece on each side stitched together. The end result is that the hammock material stretches, but the stitched portions don't. It's fine when using a sleeping pad as that tends to obscure the uneven feeling, but it's not nearly as comfortable laying in the hammock by itself.

So I'm back to square one... I did just order a Dutchware Netless Wide to try out 11' x 68" with no seams and see how that feels. Hopefully that will work well, and I can build the rest of my hammock system from there.
    Yes.. w/ the End Pole option, it does add up... glad I eventually spent the money. I started w/ a Kelty Noah 12. You can sorta get a door effect with it... it just takes many more lines and figiting. You can open it up w/sticks to open up a 'porch'. They can be had for around $50.

You will definitely be happy with a single piece hammock. I'm 6'2" 190lbs. I haven't tried a wide yet. I may have to buy one just to try. My current hammocks are std width from Dutch and Dream. Both are very comfortable and easily get a flat lie. I sleep both on my back and my side in these.

Good Luck... nothing wrong with building up by pieces and as the ol' budget allows! HYOH!

Hammock
    10' SFOC
    Welcome @JasumX!

There are a bunch of Minnesotans on here. (We're due for a gear and bagels soon @nancyhashope!)

@Us5Camp, if someone wanted to make a budget version, do you think he could buy tent pole replacements like this and use a pipe cutter like this to cut it down to the custom size?
    Chris Siebenaler
    Sloth and Fox Outdoor Company
    Amazon
    Facebook
    Instagram
    Website

Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties
    Quote Originally Posted by SlothandFox View Post
    Welcome @JasumX!

There are a bunch of Minnesotans on here. (We're due for a gear and bagels soon @nancyhashope!)

@Us5Camp, if someone wanted to make a budget version, do you think he could buy tent pole replacements like this and use a pipe cutter like this to cut it down to the custom size?
    @SlothandFox,
    Not sure... you'd need some end tips... Quest Outfitters ... can fix you up... .can also build all you need from them.
    Here's an FAQ

Hammock
    10' SFOC
    Right on. The link I provided included end tips, but you're right to point out the end tips in case he went with a different purchase that may not include them.

For everyone else reading, shortening custom aluminum poles is super easy is you're looking to upgrade your current poles. Get the tube cutter! Perhaps there is a guide on here for customizing pole length. I could create one if not.
    Chris Siebenaler
    Sloth and Fox Outdoor Company
    Amazon
    Facebook
    Instagram
    Website

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast