Tarp
    Dutchware Bonded
    Insulation
    Enlightened / HG
    Suspension
    HG Daisy Chain
    Images

Ridge Creek vs down

I am a Ridge Runner user and currently use a Warbonnet lynx for my underquilt. I'm looking at going to a 3 season UQ and was looking at the loco libre but since their orders are suspended right now I jumped over to Arrowhead equipment to check out their Ridge Creek setup with climashield. Any pros and cons with the climashield vs the traditional down? And do you guys think the climashield is any warmer for it's weight? Thanks for any info
    Some days I can't tell whether I found a rope or lost a horse...

Hammock
    WB, DH, SLD
    Tarp
    ZPacks, Thunderfly
    Insulation
    EE, Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Spider 1.5/Beckett
    I have a 3 season Jarbidge I got as a “starter” underquilt. I still use it 3-4 times a year, usually when expecting wet weather. I’ve had it down to the low twenty’s with a 20 degree topquilt, always toasty warm. Works as well as my 20 degree down underquilts. Only trade-off is increased pack bulk. I recommend AHE Climashield insulation products.

Images
    I have a Ridge Creek XL and it's wonderful how simple it is to hang. Just 4 mini-biners, no adjustments. (I assume the Lynx is the same though.) This is the only UQ I've ever used with the Ridgerunner, so I have no basis for comparison, but I can attest that it works perfectly. I've had it down to 25° which is what it's rated to, and could have gone a little colder, no problem.

I was also surprised how light and packable it is for a synthetic. It's actually several ounces lighter than my full length 20° Zeppelin underquilts from UGQ. It's I believe about 2oz heavier than a full length 3 season Lynx.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    Dutchware Bonded
    Insulation
    Enlightened / HG
    Suspension
    HG Daisy Chain
    Images
    Great, thanks for the info. It might be nice to have a synthetic setup Just for wet weather anyway.

Hammock
    Chameleon/Ridgerunner/Raven
    Tarp
    OMW/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Ghost P/Ridge Reap
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    So if you didn't buy this already, I don't have the Ridge Creek, but I do have the Jarbidge. I also have George's Ridge Reaper. I live right by you and could show you each. I probably wouldn't be able to do so until next week. I am hitting up the West Rim Trail this week.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brohawk View Post
    I am a Ridge Runner user and currently use a Warbonnet lynx for my underquilt. I'm looking at going to a 3 season UQ and was looking at the loco libre but since their orders are suspended right now I jumped over to Arrowhead equipment to check out their Ridge Creek setup with climashield. Any pros and cons with the climashield vs the traditional down? And do you guys think the climashield is any warmer for it's weight? Thanks for any info
    Are you still looking? If so, you may have noticed that for roughly 19-20 oz full length, the AHE RC is both rated at 25F and has been tested to at least 25F and plenty warm. That is an excellent warmth to weight ratio. The equivalent WB down model weighs about 2 oz less, and will pack little smaller.

You may also have noticed that the Jarbige, which has the exact same insulation and rating as the RC for bridges- has kept Baldknobber plenty warm to the low 20s. He felt he could have gone lower. that is not uncommon for that UQ. The RC should do every bit as well, maybe a bit better, because of it's superior, consistent, snug, draft free fit.

So, it appears to be about as warm as the down model, while probably taking up a bit more room in your pack. I have a RC, and it certainly fits like a glove on the WBRR. I have found it to be plenty warm at 30-40, but have not had the chance to test it at colder temps. But I'm sure it would do just fine for me at the rated temps.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I have owned several Arrowhead TQ/UQs for the past 8-9 years along with too many down TQ/UQ's from various vendors. They all work.

Arrowhead pro... cost less than down
    can insulate when wet
    Paul has some very fast turnaround times on his products
    con....does not compress as small as down, not a big difference but it might be an issue if pack space and size is important
    usually weights a tad more

These days I usually use my Arrowhead for car camping.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    Dutchware Bonded
    Insulation
    Enlightened / HG
    Suspension
    HG Daisy Chain
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by durunner View Post
    So if you didn't buy this already, I don't have the Ridge Creek, but I do have the Jarbidge. I also have George's Ridge Reaper. I live right by you and could show you each. I probably wouldn't be able to do so until next week. I am hitting up the West Rim Trail this week.
    Ah...I just got home from work and read this. Thanks neighbor but I just ordered a ridge Creek 3 season. Gonna hit Pinchot trail over memorial day weekend and try it out. That is if it ever stops raining here in Northeast PA.

Hammock
    Chameleon/Ridgerunner/Raven
    Tarp
    OMW/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Ghost P/Ridge Reap
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Nice. I did that trail late Easter afternoon into the next day. Did the Old Loggers Path the week before.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I purchased a AHD Ridgecreek when I had a WBRR. As my first foray into using a UQ instead of an insulated pad. The reasons for choosing a synthetic UQ have been listed by others. The WBRR has long been passed along for others to enjoy as I found other hammock styles more to my preference. But I still use the Ridgecreek with both GE hammocks, but especially with my Hammocktent 90 degree hammocks. When I am backpacking I typically go with a down UQ for good weather and an insulated pad for hinky weather. Another great use for the AHD is when weight and room are not constraints and abuse is more likely. For instance, if I am truck camping I wouldn't hesitate to take the AHD for a campground or roaded location because I know it will handle any potential abuse, keep me warm, and I have to worry less about losing an expensive piece of gear if Bubba, Flavia, or their kids happen across my campsite while I off on other pursuits, e.g .biking, fishing, floating, day hiking, and etc.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast