Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    If you get one I would recommend you get the Winter Palace in Camo because my standard in the non camo light green is too skimpy to inspire real confidence,is translucent so it becomes a green house,and it's somewhat transparent so you don't really get much privacy.

Note,I do not like my Standard at all,can't get much for it,and feel like I am stuck with it but there are times it goes with me simply because of it's weight.Yeah,I bot the wrong one and am stuck with it.
    I kind of like the green's translucency, but everyone's different. If I'm too covered up and it's dark I get a little claustrophobic.
    I might be interested in your standard if you wanted to sell it.

If I were to buy one again, I'd pop for camo. The green is fine, but when it's hot or if you need shade, the greenhouse effect is full on!

As to privacy, it is what is is and I wouldn't use it for car camping in a crowded campground.
    Last edited by michigandave; 06-07-2019 at 12:49.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    michigandave, are you saying the greenhouse effect is full on because it's a green tarp? Makes sense to me.

There are compromises with ultralite gear. Too often I hear it described as "exactly like" regular gear except lighter and more expensive. But it's important to understand the other compromises that make something lighter and "weigh" that benefit over other concerns.

Like camo is fun, but who is it for? My experience is if people see your camp, they are more like to avoid it. I'm guessing many animals use sound and smell for detection. During our rifle deer season, hunters can wear camo but must also wear bright orange. So around camp, you are wearing something that only makes it difficult for people shooting guns to see you.

Once I considered bumping into one of two guys at a lunch counter. They were army/national guard - in camo. I had planned to say, "Excuse me, I didn't see you." then turn to leave and bump into the other guy. I thought it would be funny - to me for sure, but on so sure about the two guys. So I held off. A few days later, I saw a woman in camo - same outfit - and first, I thanked her from her service, then asked if she thought it would be funny if I had bumped into her and then aplolgized because I didn't see her. She said she thought it would be funny, but many the guys would not.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    11' SLD Lair
    Tarp
    SLD and HG WP
    Insulation
    HG UQ
    Images
    My Camo dcf tarp is so it blends in more. Probably $1500 worth of gear at my
    campsite every time I leave. Im not so concerned with other campers as I am
    with someone just passing by. Not really sure how much more my gear is protected
    but I do have more POM.

Hammock
    2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    There's a post on here where someone (or a group) basically went through dry/wet weights of all 3 materials. IIRC, the DCF still picked up some water weight because of surface tension, but nowhere like silnylon. Even shaking the tarps, they all still had gained water weight.

Edit, found it: https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...ight-retention
    Thanks FL Turtle. Your link was interesting. Not sure where I fall off on this. Not a clear cut option. My pack for this trip is about 24 lbs. Shave a pound off that isn't much and someone mentioned earlier that it might not be noticeable. Will have to think on this further. Appreciate the thoughts.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123