Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Regarding pack down size of CF and silnylon: Here's a side by side comparison of my 11 foot HG standard with doors and my 11 SLD Trail Haven (sil and no doors). These are just packed loose and its pretty close. I found I can get a tighter pack with my CF tarp when I didn't use the CF snakeskin. There's also a 5 oz difference in weight (using stuff sack) with the two different tarps. (Beer is ROAK Brewing Co devil dog French toast oatmeal stout...if you can find it, but it. Tastes just like what is says.)

CF took some getting used too in those first few rains, but after awhile, I found it kind of relaxing. Expensive, yes, but I look at it this way: as I get older, anything I can do to shave some weight and make my trip more enjoyable is well worth it.

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    The pros are obvious.
    The cons are noteworthy.
    Its harder to pack, and generally larger once packed. Although it can pack smaller if you really pushed it.
    Iv never worried about ripping or puncturing my sils. I do with the dyneema. My heart skips a beat every time i trip over a guyline. It's a mindset thing, I think. In reality it's probably stronger in the pull, less in the puncture vs sil.
    It let's light through. Even the camo version let's more light through then a basic grey silnylon.
    Its crinkly. Like plastic bags. And loud in the rain. I prefer this however. It is surprisingly not crinkly in wind...
    Want a specific shape or width? Well, more then likely out of luck.
    Iv only recently gotten mine, so I'm still undecided on the worth. But even knowing the weight, I'm still surprised everytime I pack it up. My mind just does not comprehend how light the whole setup is. It really is an unreal experience.

Have some cash to burn? Is loosing 10oz or so important? Have a bit of extra room in your pack? Then go for it. If you dont like it, sell it. You'll get almost your full price back.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I love my HG Winter Palace. I can't believe it's only 8.6 ounces. Then again, I'm not in the least susceptible to any of the criticisms of cuben fiber.

Too expensive? I've got a 4-season tarp with doors that is 8.6 ounces. 'Nuff said.
    Too loud? This one just cracks me up. I used to live in a house with a tin roof, and when it rained, I slept like a baby, just like I do with my Winter Palace. Besides, I can't tell the noise difference between rain on silnylon and rain on cuben fiber.
    Too bulky? The tarp goes in an outside pocket on my pack. In other words, the extra bulk makes no difference to me.
    Lets in too much light? I'm not a day lounger anyway - makes no difference to me.
    Too delicate? I've had my Winter Palace for seven years, and it's been through 60 mph windstorms and dime-sized hail storms. Still looks brand new.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I concur regarding DCF in general. Price is the only real downside, but otherwise it is, for me, simply the best tool for the job. I do not see it at all as a status symbol.

The noise thing really seems to bother a lot of people. When I was a groundling people said the same thing about rain on the Duplex, and about crinkly air mats, and the plastic feel against skin, etc, but those things didn't bother me in the least. Being a knuckle-dragging Neanderthal has its advantages, I suppose.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Chameleon/Ridgerunner/Raven
    Tarp
    OMW/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Ghost P/Ridge Reap
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    So pricey but one of the best purchases that I ever made. Easily one of my favorite pieces of gear.

Hammock
    Dream hammock Raven
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    You guys have made this choice a lot easier thanks.

Hammock
    2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    Appreciate the info everyone has shared. I enjoy my silnylon tarp having used in four seasons. But the reason I'm looking at this thread is I have a trip coming this weekend that involves rain. My silnylon sheds rain just fine but it absorbs moisture. Sunday morning I'm anticipating the tarp to weight several more pounds than when I pack it up tonight dry. Long term I'd like to avoid dealing with the weight of a wet tarp in multi-day hikes.

I understand the dry weight advantages of dyneema vs silnylon but anyone have thoughts on managing a dyneema tarp over several rainy hiking days? I understand that dyneema doesn't absorb moisture. This right?

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by JSH View Post
    Appreciate the info everyone has shared. I enjoy my silnylon tarp having used in four seasons. But the reason I'm looking at this thread is I have a trip coming this weekend that involves rain. My silnylon sheds rain just fine but it absorbs moisture. Sunday morning I'm anticipating the tarp to weight several more pounds than when I pack it up tonight dry. Long term I'd like to avoid dealing with the weight of a wet tarp in multi-day hikes.

I understand the dry weight advantages of dyneema vs silnylon but anyone have thoughts on managing a dyneema tarp over several rainy hiking days? I understand that dyneema doesn't absorb moisture. This right?
    There's a post on here where someone (or a group) basically went through dry/wet weights of all 3 materials. IIRC, the DCF still picked up some water weight because of surface tension, but nowhere like silnylon. Even shaking the tarps, they all still had gained water weight.

Edit, found it: https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...ight-retention

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    If you get one I would recommend you get the Winter Palace in Camo because my standard in the non camo light green is too skimpy to inspire real confidence,is translucent so it becomes a green house,and it's somewhat transparent so you don't really get much privacy.

Note,I do not like my Standard at all,can't get much for it,and feel like I am stuck with it but there are times it goes with me simply because of it's weight.Yeah,I bot the wrong one and am stuck with it.

Images
    A different reason to go for the camo (if buying from Hammock Gear) is that the green DCF is now unavailable until late October, per the HG website.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast