Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images

Cubin fiber/dyneema tarps

Is it worth the cost? I know lighter is better in backpacking. But is it worth it to spend 200 to 300 dollars more? Looking at the journey from hg and the dyneema tarp with doors not the palace.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I suppose it's kind of like asking, "How blue is the sky?" There are as many shades of blue as there are ways of individually perceiving/counting cost. How often do you hike and for how long? Where? Do you have budget limitations or none? Can costs be mitigated by multi-purpose usage - not just for the tarp, but for the sum total of your gear? For example, I use my hammock and quilts every night - not just for camping. Therefore, no need to spend money on mattresses, fitted sheets, etc. Best wishes as you weigh the decision you have before you.
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Picking up from Watertooner... "... the sum total of your gear..."

If you're buying a very expensive and lightweight piece of kit it is usually because you want to reduce overall pack weight.

But if your pack weighs 40 lbs and you reduce it by 10oz by going with a DCF (Cuben) tarp and make no other gear changes, that isn't going to put a perceptible dent in it.

So if you're on a campaign to radically reduce pack weight — or if the DCF tarp is the final piece of your weight reduction plan — then yes it is worth it. Otherwise it is not.

Above is my 2¢.*

*As a side note>>>>> the comments above are not meant to be and should under no circumstances be construed as "pack weight shaming" or "elitist UL snobbery." They are meant merely to define how stuff is accounted for in the context of the Base Weight discussion, mainly so that we're all on the same sheet of music. Personally, it doesn't concern me what other people choose to carry because I'm not carrying it. I don't evangelize on the trail and have a policy of "speak only when spoken to" when it comes to UL backpacking, and even then I stop immediately at the first whiff of disinterest.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    You have received wise counsel above.

Weight is the primary advantage for most. Secondly, the lack of stretch can improve performance. Camo DCF is amazing to look at and to be stealthy.

Other than that, it packs bigger than other high-end materials and cost a ton.

LOVE my Cuben!!!!

Hammock
    11' SLD Lair
    Tarp
    SLD and HG WP
    Insulation
    HG UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post

If you're buying a very expensive and lightweight piece of kit it is usually because you want to reduce overall pack weight.

But if your pack weighs 40 lbs and you reduce it by 10oz by going with a DCF (Cuben) tarp and make no other gear changes, that isn't going to put a perceptible dent in it.

So if you're on a campaign to radically reduce pack weight — or if the DCF tarp is the final piece of your weight reduction plan — then yes it is worth it. Otherwise it is not.

Above is my 2¢.*

*As a side note>>>>> the comments above are not meant to be and should under no circumstances be construed as "pack weight shaming" or "elitist UL snobbery." They are meant merely to define how stuff is accounted for in the context of the Base Weight discussion, mainly so that we're all on the same sheet of music. Personally, it doesn't concern me what other people choose to carry because I'm not carrying it. I don't evangelize on the trail and have a policy of "speak only when spoken to" when it comes to UL backpacking, and even then I stop immediately at the first whiff of disinterest.
    Very well put.

I will add, having both the dyneema tarp with doors and the Dyneema WP, that the WP gives me more options. I camp in all seasons and all weather and the extra protection saves me a few worries. I still use my sil-nylons for non hiking trips.

Hammock
    Town's End Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post

Above is my 2¢.*

When people I bike with ask about saving weight (at a huge cost) on their bike, I usually point out that it's easier for most people to lose ten pounds off their *** than a pound off their bike.

Like the quoted post says, if you are at the point where you are "ultralight" on the trail, it might be worth it to you.

Heck, if you simply want it and have the cash, it might be worth it to you.

I tend to look at the fact that I can save as much weight by using a light suspension system and hammock for a lot less money as a reason to use the Superfly.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    "It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it"

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    cmoulder nailed it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    I'm not sure you are asking the right group this question. It's like asking if buying a BMW is worth is on a luxury car forum.

In short No. A dyneema tarp is never worth the cost solely based on function. The only reasons to pick a Dyneema tarp over other options is the minimal weight savings and/or bragging rights. That is it. If you are through hiking a long trail then the weight savings may be worth it. If you are weekend hiking then the minimal weight savings is not justified, particularly if you pack any luxury items. (camp chairs, booze, shoes, etc.) It is being purchased for bragging rights, whether consciously or subconsciously.

Another, item no one seams to talk about is potential trail theft. Everyone knows how expensive these high end items are, and if you base camp at all how confident are you in leaving your $300 tarp, $600 Tent etc set up in the woods. I have 0 worries about loosing my inexpensive hex tarp. I know nearly all backpackers are good honest folk, but I do not want temptation overriding someones honesty.

Now if it is just something you want and have the money, then by all means get one. But if you are asking if the product itself justifies the cost then on straight functionality, the answer is clearly no.
    Last edited by jeff-oh; 05-12-2019 at 08:10.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    It's taken years for me to get to the point that DCF made sense. Initially I put together a kit that was capable & reliable and got me out on the trail with safety and comfort. Weight was a factor but it was way down the priority list. Just figuring out what I needed was most important.

My kit was always changing. The focus was more on dialing in which gear I wanted/needed in my pack rather than how much it weighed or what its' pack volume was. By the time my trip list was dialed in (took about three years) I had changed packs three times, eliminated countless items (big and small), changed quilts a few times, and went through five tarps (WB Mamajamba, Superfly, two DIY Silpoly's and a postage stamp size asym).

Over some time I ended up with a solid list of items I was happy with and knew I would use every trip... it was time to start reducing weight (never really had a problem with volume). I had nothing else to eliminate outright, so I was on the prowl to replace the gear I had, only smaller, or lighter.. in most cases both smaller AND lighter (both my packs were, and still are, too big for what I was carrying and both of my tarps were unnecessarily large and heavy..).

Only then did I decided DCF made sense.

A few words of caution. Proceed at your own risk. Cuben Fiber gear is the witches brew. Totally addictive. The proverbial Rabbit Hole. Akin to crack cocaine. Wicked cool.. Stupid expensive.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dream hammock Raven
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Ok so this tarp will be the final piece to complete my kit. Every other piece is cottage vender. Except my tarp. While I do love this tarp it's very vs very big. My base weight so no food or water is around 11 pounds . I was unaware the dyneema tarps didn't pack down as small as others . Thanks for the great advise got a lot to think about.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast