Hello from Vietnam

I'm an 48yo American guy working overseas in Vietnam for almost 6 years now. I live in a very small village in a pretty nice area near Ha Long Bay in the North. There are some rivers, islands, and the coast with very calm seas nearby.

In my quest to find more interesting and fun things to do now that I'm not working on weekends, I have discovered camping and hiking. I'm also into motorbikes and have travled around the North of Vietnam quite a bit. I plan on a trip down the length of Vietnam later this year.

I will start renting a Vietnamese style canoe from a local villager soon to start some island hopping around my area.

I'm also very interested in eventually thru-hiking if time ever allows.

So my gear has to allow me to:
    motorbike tour
    canoeing
    hiking

Hiking and camping are pretty new to Vietnam and generally, only the younger people do it. I get a lot of weird looks when people see me out in the areas where I camp (I get the same weird looks when they see me running since hardly anyone does that kind of activity here, but they are getting used to me). Hotels are cheap so most people just stay there when they tour around. The good thing is that a lot of the land is gov't owned and controlled and I've never had an issue when people see me camping somewhere (it's super crowded here so you can't go ANYWHERE without seeing people, even in the most remote areas, there are people). In my area there are a lot of logging areas so I don't try to deal with the dense jungle areas.

I picked up a cheap hammock, tarp, and bug net setup and also got a tent to compare. After trying both, I only use the tent when my girlfriend comes along (Evidently, the tent offers better protection against ghosts but the tarp/bug net on the hammock does not! Note: Vietnamese people are VERY superstitious). I'm hoping to eventually convince her to get a hammock and get rid of the tent completely. The hammock is so much better but to be fair, I don't currently have a sleeping pad to use in the tent. I love the hammock and how quick I set it up to have a break after lunch or to wait out the rain storms that are common during the rainy season now.

My goals:
    I'm running the current rope set up that came with the hammock. Eventually, I may want to upgrade my rigging for weight savings for "ultralight" backpacking.

I have a 10x10 tarp from Amazon that's about 28oz (just the tarp, not the stakes or cordage). I think that's my biggest opportunity for weight savings so I want to upgrade to a lighter tarp. I will keep the existing one for a spare for motorbike camping or for my girlfriend if she decides to convert to hammock. I'm leaning towards a silpoly 8x10 set up in a asymmetrical position but still researching to make a final decision.

I'm also wanting to modify my bug net to a removable style like the war bonnet. Tailors and parts (zippers, straps, fabric, clips, etc) are super cheap here.

I need to figure out what I will do in colder temperatures. It gets down to about 5C here in the winter. I'm trying to decide between a sleeping pad or an under quilt. I figure the sleeping pad can double for when I have to go to the ground periodically. I also hope to eventually do a thru-hike if work schedule/job situation ever allows so I want to get better at "going to the ground" and dealing with colder temperatures for that.

Here's a view from a camping spot from a recent motorbike camping trip:
    59665004_2629179167096749_5251987349302149120_n.jpg

My gear:
    hammock: Arbor Creek XL Double Camping Hammock - 24oz with ropes and tree protection
    tarp: Unigear Hammock 10x10 Tarp, PU 3000mm - 28oz for tarp only
    bug net: Hammock Bug Net Outdoor 11' Hammock Mosquito Net 12oz
    under quilt: none
    sleeping pad: none

To buy stuff from the US, I have to wait until I go home for home leave (usually once/year) or get someone to "mule" it back that's coming here. My next opportunity for a mule from the US is June. I'm hoping to get the tarp, under quilt, and sleeping pad chosen by then.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

Oh, any advice on how to not automatically look for how you would hang your hammock when you see a group of trees!

Images
    Hello stantheman750
    I have heard Vietnam is absolutely beautiful. Please share some of your pictures when hammock camping. Woops welcome to the forum.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Welcome to HF! Can't help you with the problem of continually sizing up trees. Seems to be a common problem with all of us!

Quote Originally Posted by stantheman750 View Post

Oh, any advice on how to not automatically look for how you would hang your hammock when you see a group of trees!
    The game is the best teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by stantheman750 View Post
    Thanks for everyone's advice.

Ha! I think we ALL see trees differently when we have a hammock with us.

As to advice, you're right to be looking at another tarp. Yours is pretty heavy. Living where you do, you might want to look at Hennessy Hammock. They're not going to be the lightest option, but they are solid and do well in humid environments. If you get the double layer, you can slip a pad in and probably be good to go, giving you the option to sleep on the ground. Their setups include tree straps, suspension and tarp in one package, which might appeal to you as well.

Otherwise, the sky is the limit in terms of what would be useful. Any of the vendors with forums here can help you with setups, either separate pieces or possibly an all in one package.

By the way, thank you for a very informative intro post.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Welcome to HF! When it comes to trees, I look at them as a biology experiment first...what species do we have? Then, I know what size tree I need to hang my fat butt from and I move on to the space between.

DEFINITELY take advantage of the inexpensive sewing and manufacturing base while you are there. Have someone make you a copy of every kind of hammock you can find, multiple tarps, clothes. Whatever you can afford.
    Oooh, shiney! What does THIS button do?

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Welcome to the forum Stantheman750.

...and the hammockers curse or blessing of checking out the the distance between suitable trees will follow you to your grave. :shades.
    Last edited by ofuros; 05-10-2019 at 17:13.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Welcome! Vietnam is on my short list of travel destinations. I'm kind of envious of your situation, and the great scenery available to you.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 40F
    Suspension
    Dutchware strap BB
    Nice to meet you, my nephew lives in Ho Chi Minh for quit a few years, computer business. My son and my wife visited him a few years back and my son fell in love with Asia. Enjoy tripping!

• + New Posts