Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Wide
    Insulation
    HG Econ Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Anyone Know How To Unknot a Kevlar Tree Hugger Strap

I have a kevlar tree strap that I use a titanium toggle to attach to my whoopie sling. When it rains for a prolonged period, the slipknot gets stuck and won't budge. It's happened again and I can't seem to get the knot apart without tearing the strap. The last time this happened I was able to get it unstuck with pliers. I've had no luck this time. Anyone have any suggestions?
    IMG_20190506_215117.jpg

Images
    Can you work a tent peg into that knot?

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Marlinspike. Or use a knitting needle to loosen.

While the strap is on the tree I wrap the tag end in my hand and give it a healthy yank. Pops right out everytime for me. Use the same straps. I use a marlin spike hitch though.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Just like the movie Beerfest, the webbing might benefit from the same treatment before trying again. Rain water might be softer than tap water. Good luck!

EDIT:
    1) Rather than loosening the knot, try pulling the loose ends through the knot first.
    2) Thread yarn through opposing knot sections. Create loops for each yarn. Wear leather gloves, then pull them apart by the yarn while shaking/vibrating your fists.
    Last edited by W8lkinUSA; 05-06-2019 at 23:00.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    What kind of knot is that?

If it's a MSH it should just pull through with some (maybe considerable!) effort, but it looks like it might be an overhand, although I don't know why one would be using a fixed loop with a toggle and whoopie sling.

In any event, if you need a fixed loop that is easy to untie, next time use the Alpine butterfly knot.

Edit: this netknots method of tying is the one I prefer, NOT the animated knots version... unnecessarily complicated IMO
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    Soften it up with a mallet.
    Gadget absolutely right
    I will describe this technique
    On a hard flat surface, put paper towel or tee shirt to protect strap from grit or sand.
    Put strap knot on top of fabric or paper towel and cover with another layer of fabric, to protect strap.
    Hammer or mallet tap knot gently firmly making FLAT contact with knot
    Most simple knots, when jammed tight are more or less round. By tapping with mallet or smooth stone the knot becomes flattened like a pancake. The strap followed the shortest distance possible through jammed rounded knot. Now that knot is flattened, strap has had to follow a longer distance through knot due to its changed shape. Now the knot is looser than it was and very easy to undo!
    The short version is to put knot on hard floor or flat rock and stomp it with heel of your shoe, whilst uttering your best profanity—it works for me. I demonstrated this technique at Medoc Hang.
    Great minds think alike—even though I suspect Gadget is somewhat smarter than me, and better educated

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Wide
    Insulation
    HG Econ Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Thanks everyone for your help. I decided to try the suggested solutions in order of what I'd probably have available on a trail. Here are my results. Just for clarification, the knot is a marlinspike hitch. I call it a slip knot.

1. I tried using the bottom of my trekking pole to pry the knot loose from inside the loop. This is similar to the tent stake suggestion. Did not work.
    2. I tried soaking the strap in water to lubricate the strap. This just made it harder to grip. It also did not work.
    3. I ran the strap around a tree and using the tree as an anchor I pulled on the other end with my body weight. It made me kind of nervous because I think I would have ripped a normal piece of nylon that size. I had to just keep reminding myself that this is kevlar. It popped and freed itself. This is the solution I'm going to go with in the field since I will always have myself and a tree.

I think the mallet approach would work too. I think the next time this happens, I'll try that just to see what the results are.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast