Custom (?) under quilt for my Ridgerunner

Who can make for me an under quilt I need which is like the ones Warbonnet and Loco Libre make specifically designed (shaped and sized) for the Ridgerunner, but rated for -40? Or otherwise point me to who has these in stock. Otherwise the best I can do (I think) is to attach two zero rated under quilts to the Ridgerunner and see what happens. I'd rather get the right tool for the job though. Any suggestions?

Richard Bryan
    New York, NY

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Loco Libre should be back up and running within the month. Only option i know of without stacking. I’d just stack.
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If not you can stack two to get to -40º.
    I've camped in my hammock in -40ºF and it is no joke!
    A 0º and 20º set of UQs should get you to -40ºF.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Is your WBRR a double layer? If you can't find a custom -40 in time for when you need it, get a zero WB or AHE, add a CCF or inflatable pad for another 30 or 40*F. ( One young fellow here has taken a Neo Air XTherm to about -10F in a bridge, ALL BY ITSELF) Or add VB clothing for another 20F. Or a space blanket on top of the UQ with maybe the WB Poncho/UQP on the outside, for another 20+. Just 1 or 2 of these things added to a zero UQ might get you there. Just some things to try, all of course if you can't find that -40 UQ.

Images
    Using the custom quilt builder at Warbonnet, you can order a full length "Scandinavian" Lynx underquilt. I think the Scandi models are essentially -20° quilts, though I'm not sure why they don't just market them as such.

A -20° quilt plus an insulated pad between the Ridgerunner layers might get you down to -40° but I wouldn't want to find out in the woods that it wasn't enough in those conditions.

Looking at Loco Libre's selections, it appears the Ridge Reaper is only offered down to a 0° model. I thought they went as low as -40° but that seems to be only for the Carolina Reaper and Habanero models.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 05-07-2019 at 01:43.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Using the custom quilt builder at Warbonnet, you can order a full length "Scandinavian" Lynx underquilt. I think the Scandi models are essentially -20° quilts, though I'm not sure why they don't just market them as such.

A -20° quilt plus an insulated pad between the Ridgerunner layers might get you down to -40° but I wouldn't want to find out in the woods that it wasn't enough in those conditions.

Looking at Loco Libre's selections, it appears the Ridge Reaper is only offered down to a 0° model. I thought they went as low as -40° but that seems to be only for the Carolina Reaper and Habanero models.
    Good idea, I forgot about that Scandi Model.

I would most assuredly think a pad- in a bridge where it is less likely to interfere with quilt fit- would be able to push this UQ another 20 degrees, considering how far people(DuctTape, 509-T203-KG) have been able to go with pads alone. Also, more than one person has been able to go well below ratings with some of these WB UQs alone. But, like you said, not a good idea to put it to the test for the first time far from a safe bail out. Especially at those dangerous temps.

OTOH, if one is confident of the quilts rating for them, based on other experiences, and if -40 comes along and it turns out you can't really push that UQ it below the -20 rating, you probably won't die, but rather end up with an uncomfy night and some poor sleep. And there are always tricks like hot water bottles to help out. And if augmenting with a winter pad, if it all hits the fan, just lower that bridge hammock down to the ground or snow. Best bet is testing at home, or at a campground with car nearby, for -40, but don't know how often those opportunities come along. Any way you look at it, way below zero can be risky. But what am I saying, so can a very wet and windy +35*F! Re: a pad in a bridge hammock at minus 10F + some wind chill:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad-in-a-bridge
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-08-2019 at 07:34.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post

The customized version allows you to specify an overfill. Will a 3oz overfill bring it down to -40 from -20?

Images
    I think of overfill more as "insurance" to the temp rating than adding to the temp rating. The overfill doesn't change the height of the loft of the quilt, which is determined by the cut and construction of the fabric baffles. Loft height has more affect on the rating than the amount of down stuffed inside, assuming there is enough down stuffed inside to fully loft the quilt. The down stops convective heat transfer inside the quilt by minimizing the ability for air currents to flow and move body heat away from you. Thicker loft keeps the cold outside air farther from your body and keeps more of the air heated by your body trapped within the down. The vendors here use a generous amount of down in their quilt designs, ensuring the quilts will loft properly and perform to their temp rating.

The overfill does, however, help ensure that the quilt stays fully lofted and minimizes the chance of voids in the down. Loss of loft and especially voids will result in colder spots. Overfill would be especially useful on a multi day trip where the quilt would be repeatedly packed and relofted each day, possibly taking on moisture as time goes on.

I have a -20° Carolina Reaper from Loco Libre and I chose to have 3oz (if I remember correctly) overfill added. So while that is something I'd suggest on a winter quilt, I wouldn't expect it to take the rating from -20 to -40 or even -30. To me it's more about preserving the rating than enhancing it.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 05-07-2019 at 22:02.

• + New Posts