Dutchware DL Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    LL SS Serrano 20
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch

Continuous loop heat damage

Hello all, I was just out hanging using dynaweave straps tied to my CLs with the Becket hitch and had the knot slip on me. I've hung like this a few times before and never had the knot slip bit today I had both my head and foot ends slip on me when I put my full weight on the suspension. I weight like 165 pounds and I gave both sides a very tight pull to set the knot before I laid down.

I switched over to the style of Becket hitch that Warbonnet recomended in their YouTube video and these seem to be holding but today has really shaken my confidence in using the Becket hitch.

Further, after the knots slipped both the straps and my CLs were warm and appear to have melted in some areas. Per the attached photo, did I ruin my CLs? Should I replace them? Strongly considering going back to whoopies after this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your CL look fine- maybe a little polished. As long as there are not many broken fibers you should be good. You could always splice up a couple of new ones and replace them- your choice. Becket hitch slipping- IDK- I have never had one slip on me.

Hammock
    Dutchware DL Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    LL SS Serrano 20
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch

Thank you for the input, I took another look at the loops and I can't see any actual broken strands.

I think figured out why the Becket hitch slipped. I larks headed small loops of zing it onto the ends of my CLs so that I could pull the Becket hitch out easier. Before I went out today I was looking at the larks heads and moved the larks heads down to make a square knot, I thought it looked cleaner. When I checked on my hammock after the slipping incident both little square knots had been pushed back up. I think that when I out my weight on the hammock the tree straps pushed the zing it loops up and that small amount of movement was enough to trigger a slip in the knot. if it doesn't rain too much tomorrow I will try the Becket again with the zing it loops moved into the right position.

Hammock
    Dutchware DL Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    LL SS Serrano 20
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Pictures of the loops
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    Try the JBend instead if you want to stay with the simple knot setup. It works by jamming instead of friction, so is not as vulnerable to slipping.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    Try the JBend instead if you want to stay with the simple knot setup. It works by jamming instead of friction, so is not as vulnerable to slipping.
    +1

J-Bend is the only simple knot that I have found to work with every cord/webbing combo I've tried that has not slipped. Ever. Including Amsteel/Amsteel, and that's saying something.

My current fave, Lapp Hitch (slipped), works with Kevlar/Amsteel with zero slippage, but it will slip a bit with Venom/Amsteel if shock loaded, and it will shred Mule tape if it slips.

To me that CL still looks reliable, although obviously you don't want to make a habit of incurring heat/friction damage in the same spot. Maybe rotate the loop around a bit to a fresh, non-polished section so that you will at least have some indication if it slips again.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    You might have tied your Becket hitch perfectly
    You might have tightened it good too
    I’ve been using 2.0 dyneema straps and have noticed some settling or minor slipping after my best efforts to get hitch correct and hand tightened and slow loading hammock to get hitch to “set”
    It might not be you—it can be the strap!
    Most of these knots-hitches that are finished with a bight can have an emergency brake or failsafe builtin by adding a slip knot in bight. I show this in my YouTube video David Hughes Phantom Grappler Recommended Ties part 2 of 2
    About 4 minutes 10 seconds into video
    The knot shown, I call Carolina Becket Hitch
    I like Becket Hitch—can adjust close to exactly where you want your hammock to be. I make it a little tighter or shorter to allow for some settling as hitch is fully hand tightened and hammock slowly loaded.
    Even then, I’ve had Carolina Becket slip a bit as it settles and sets—-but that slip knot stops all travel and GarnaUTees you will not be lowered to ground

Hammock
    Dutchware DL Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    LL SS Serrano 20
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch

Thanks everyone, I ordered some new amsteel to make some whoopies and to replace my loops if they show any signs of damage per your feedback. I plan to rotate my continuous loops and try the Becket hitch and the j-bend this weekend. Thanks for the help and diagnosis of my CLs!

In your experience do 1/8th inch amsteel continuous loops hold up better than 7/64 over time? Has anyone tried using sewn webbing loops as their continuous loops in place of rope like amsteel?

Images
    I use webbing loops for my home hammock. I have hung on them every day for 4 years and they are fine. Knots get hardened after a while, but I rarely move them so no problem. These will definitely give you more friction for tying off a camping hammock. However, as I previously mentioned, the JBend doesn’t depend on friction and works better with amsteel loops.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    You should be ok with 7/64 amsteel loops. When I first got interested in hammocks, I did not trust 7/64 to hold safely, so I used 1/8. Then at local hangs there were campers over 300 pounds using 7/64 with no failures.
    I’ve stubbornly kept using 1/8, and maybe it has helped me a few times when my experimental suspensions were beyond recommended tolerances.
    Maybe 1/8 will last longer or wear out slower.
    It does weigh a little more and has slightly more bulk. You are free to choose and have fun getting your rig specked out.
    Sewn strap loops probably will work as long as strap is strong and sewing is on par with commercially available end loops.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast