Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Those are just Costco down-throws at a jacked-up price.
    Thank you, I had asked about them In one group but no one was able to give any info

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Don't go cheap, or you'll end up like me. I bought a synthetic potomac quilt from Arrowhead for my hennessy, then I bought a synthetic custom made UQ from loco libre gear for my DH Sparrow. Now I want to save some weight and I ordered a HG Incubator a few minutes ago. Just buy once, cry once! Get a good down UQ such as the Economy Incubator. $175 for a 30 degree long UQ....... that's pretty good.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I concur with the other recommendations to save up and get a good quilt. The Hammock Gear Econ line is an excellent value. Until then, use a cheap CCF pad or Reflectix to get you through. You'll be glad to have not wasted your money on a "cheap" UQ that won't do the job- yet still cost you $50+. Reflectix works well enough, and can be easily repurposed into pot/cup coozies, sit pads, etc...
    Last edited by rweb82; 05-06-2019 at 11:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmaduke View Post
    Don't go cheap, or you'll end up like me. I bought a synthetic potomac quilt from Arrowhead for my hennessy, then I bought a synthetic custom made UQ from loco libre gear for my DH Sparrow. Now I want to save some weight and I ordered a HG Incubator a few minutes ago. Just buy once, cry once! Get a good down UQ such as the Economy Incubator. $175 for a 30 degree long UQ....... that's pretty good.
    Good advice, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    I concur with the other recommendations to save up and get a good quilt. The Hammock Gear Econ line is an excellent value. Until then, use a cheap CCF pad or Reflectix to get you through. You'll be glad to have not wasted your money on a "cheap" UQ that won't do the job- yet still cost you $50+. Reflectix works well enough, and can be easily repurposed into pot/cup coozies, sit pads, etc...
    Thanks! Never heard of somebody using Reflectix, what do you do with that? Do people ever combine it with an UQ at lower temperatures for extra warmth?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nateweger View Post
    Thanks! Never heard of somebody using Reflectix, what do you do with that? Do people ever combine it with an UQ at lower temperatures for extra warmth?
    Since pads (and Reflectix) are vapor barriers, they cause sweating and condensation for me (and for many, though there are folks like BillyBob58 who LOVES any kind of vapor barrier and claims to have never had any appreciable condensation), I'm not gonna combine pads with an UQ. No way - not gonna happen. Though I've never tried it, I would expect it's hard to get the UQ to fit properly with a pad in the hammock.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Since pads (and Reflectix) are vapor barriers, they cause sweating and condensation for me (and for many, though there are folks like BillyBob58 who LOVES any kind of vapor barrier and claims to have never had any appreciable condensation), I'm not gonna combine pads with an UQ. No way - not gonna happen. Though I've never tried it, I would expect it's hard to get the UQ to fit properly with a pad in the hammock.
    Good to know, thanks!!

Do you use a sleeping bag AND a top quilt, or is a sleeping bag enough on top? Do you use anything on top besides clothes when it's above 40 F?
    +1 on what oldpappy says about head coverage. When it's cool but above freezing, I wear a stocking cap in a hammock. When it starts dropping below freezing, I'll wear a full face balaclava. Mine is just army surplus wool, heavier but warm. Getting your head covered in cold weather makes a HECK of a difference in your comfort. It also helps to keep your neck covered. I'll use a buff for that, maybe a scarf or something similar.

I've never used both a sleeping bag and a quilt, but if you're doing serious cold, like below zero stuff, that's an option. See some of Shug's videos on crazy cold weather setups. Down to 20 or so I'm covered with my top quilt only, though I'll have a good base layer on and some of my other clothing. If I have a puffy jacket, it's usually going to be around the footbox of my quilt on the outside. Again, see Shug's videos for the technique, which is where I learned it.

You can stack quilts with pads. I've done so in my bridge hammock, using a small 20x20 inch CCF pad under my back to kill cold spots. You can also stack quilts with quilts. I've experimented with using a poncho liner inside a quilt in cold weather and it works to hold in more warmth and block wind.

Speaking of blocking wind, an underquilt protector is also a good thing to think about. 2QZQ make a good one, or you can DIY one, which is what I did. It'll keep the wind from robbing warmth from the underqult and can also help keep rain splashes off your quilts.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    +1 on what oldpappy says about head coverage. When it's cool but above freezing, I wear a stocking cap in a hammock. When it starts dropping below freezing, I'll wear a full face balaclava. Mine is just army surplus wool, heavier but warm. Getting your head covered in cold weather makes a HECK of a difference in your comfort. It also helps to keep your neck covered. I'll use a buff for that, maybe a scarf or something similar.

I've never used both a sleeping bag and a quilt, but if you're doing serious cold, like below zero stuff, that's an option. See some of Shug's videos on crazy cold weather setups. Down to 20 or so I'm covered with my top quilt only, though I'll have a good base layer on and some of my other clothing. If I have a puffy jacket, it's usually going to be around the footbox of my quilt on the outside. Again, see Shug's videos for the technique, which is where I learned it.

You can stack quilts with pads. I've done so in my bridge hammock, using a small 20x20 inch CCF pad under my back to kill cold spots. You can also stack quilts with quilts. I've experimented with using a poncho liner inside a quilt in cold weather and it works to hold in more warmth and block wind.

Speaking of blocking wind, an underquilt protector is also a good thing to think about. 2QZQ make a good one, or you can DIY one, which is what I did. It'll keep the wind from robbing warmth from the underqult and can also help keep rain splashes off your quilts.
    Good advice, thank you!!

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    You can cut the Reflectix to make a pad for your hammock (whatever length you want). A popular way to do this is to add a couple "wings" toward the top of the pad to provide shoulder coverage. SilvrSurfr is correct in that CCF pads/Reflectix are a vapor barrier, and can cause condensation. However, if used properly, you should be able to minimize the amount of condensation.

I just took my son out this past weekend and let him use my 20° UQ. I had to use my DIY Costco UQ- which I knew wouldn't keep me warm at the temps we would be camping in. So I cut a 2'-ish long section of Reflectix just for my back/butt to use in conjunction with my UQ, and I stayed warm. I did not experience ANY condensation whatsoever. That was probably due to the fact that I made sure to wear a fleece pullover as well.

Are CCF pads/Reflectix the best solution in a hammock? Heck no! But will they keep you warm while you save $$ for a proper UQ? Heck yes! Just keep in mind the shortcomings and don't fret too much about it.
    Last edited by rweb82; 05-13-2019 at 15:14.

Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    You can cut the Reflectix to make a pad for your hammock (whatever length you want). SilvrSurfr is correct in that it is a vapor barrier, and can cause condensation issues. However, if used properly, you should be able to minimize the amount of condensation. I just took my son out this past weekend, and let him use my 20° UQ. I had to use my DIY Costco UQ- which I knew wouldn't keep me warm at the temps we would be camping in. I used a 2' long section of Reflectix just for my back/butt in conjunction with my UQ, and stayed pretty warm. I did not experience ANY condensation whatsoever. That was probably due to the fact that I made sure to wear a fleece pullover as well.

Are CCF pads/Reflectix the best solution in a hammock? Heck no! But will they keep you warm while you save $$ for a proper UQ? Heck yes! Just keep in mind the shortcomings and don't fret too much about it.
    Thanks!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast