Hammock
    The only one I have; achieve mosqui
    Tarp
    Poly tarp
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag/ foam
    Suspension
    Continuous loops t

Hennessy expedition zip, good for a newbie?

I am a newbie, and I have the bug. I purchased a inexpensive hammock at walmart with a integrated bug net, just to see if I like it. I do, and I have decided to buy a better quality hammock, since I know this one will fail me sooner rather than later. I have been researching the Hennessy expedition zip. Is it a good hammock for a beginner? Will it last? Will the included fly be big enough to keep me dry? Or should I upgrade to a bigger fly. Thanks for your help

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The Expedition Asym Zip was my first hammock, and I used it for two years. While any hammock is probably more comfortable than sleeping on the ground, the Expedition Asym Zip is by far the most uncomfortable hammock I've ever used. Perhaps I'm too tall (5'11"). I got constant calf ridge, major calf cramps, and the postage stamp tarp is an absolute joke (especially when connected to the hammock suspension - got a separate tarp suspension almost immediately).

If you're going to give it a try, definitely upgrade to the HH Hex tarp. I also almost immediately replaced the rope suspension with whoopie slings - that rope suspension is too much of a hassle.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    Since a lot of folks seem to really like longer hammocks better(not me really, but a lot of folks), if you want to go Hennessy, consider the Explorer UL or one of the other Explorer or Deep Jungle models. Unless maybe you are pretty short. They are right at 11 ft long. I have been using an Explorer UL on and off since 2006, and it is still one of my preferred hammocks. And I have owned or used quite a number of different brand and models of hammocks. There are some other great hammocks out there, but the HH Explorer is one of my old standbys.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Poly tarp
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag/ foam
    Suspension
    Continuous loops t
    Thanks, i appreciate the feedback, I’m 6 foot and I definitely don’t want a shorter hammock, and I don’t want to have to put more money in it by upgrading tarp suspension, I’m going to keep looking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Welcome to HF. I camp, trout fish, small mouth bass fish and repeat as well. Also backpack and lots of other outdoor activities.

My 2 cents worth. Go to a group hang or reach out to local hangers and try various hammocks prior to spending a lot of $$. Look at it as a hobby and an opportunity to learn. Lots of videos on how to make your own gathered end, a simple HUG bugnet and suspension. Shug had his 'Green Bean" for years prior to becoming a super star I still have my 1st DIY no-sew Walmart $1 bin hammock - $6 for 4 yards material and some nylon rope using this method.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=vLt7WrloFh4

On the subject of Hennessey - I have used mine for several hundred nights and offer my opinion:
    I've been using a Hennessey (as well as DIY gathered ends, a UL net hammock, and Dutch gathered ends) regularly since about 2006/2008 and find the HH quite comfortable and works great right out of the box. I did initially have calf ridge issue along with leg cramps (a crease right up the middle of the hammock), but once I figured out I was hanging it too tight and to hang it with a little slack in the ridgeline I have never again experienced calf ridge or cramps .
    I kept the suspension stock (except for adding Dutch Clips for easy take down). I use a lashing to the tree huggers (Becket Hitch or Hennessey figure 8). I use the stock tarp attached to the suspension.
    I think most Hennessey naysayers muck with the suspension or just never figured out how to hang it to meet their comfort needs.
    I've had and used many types of hammocks and many hammock materials but I just keep going back to that bullet proof Hennessey.

I'm not saying HH is right for you, just that this forum has a few Hennessey fans, but lots of naysayers. Under the 'Forum" tab scroll down to the Hennessey sub forum and read some trip reports. Then try one for yourself.
    I pack and go every day when fishing = the stock HH system. I use a larger Kelty 12 tarp and maybe a Dutch 11 ft/Fronkey bugnet when car camping. So your camping style/need has to be considered.

Lastly, don't expect to get to get the exact right set-up that will last for the rest of your life on your 1st try. Hammock camping can be relatively inexpensive with a large variety of options to explore - choosing the right combo for a trip can be a challenge but it is a good/better/best decision. Enjoy the addiction.
    Last edited by oldpappy; 05-03-2019 at 08:58.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Poly tarp
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag/ foam
    Suspension
    Continuous loops t
    Thanks everyone, I’m weighing my options, I may hold off on buying another one and put some nights in the one I have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If you buy your Hennessy directly from them, instead of say, REI, you can asked for a tarp upgrade and may be charged just the difference between something like their Hex and the standard Asymmetrical. My first hammock was an Explorer - traditional bottom entry, so simple. But I'm really short. So I'd be a little concerned about the size of the Expedition and you. I had a Hennessy Survivor I sold a while back - now that was like a station wagon compared to the sedan size fo the Expedition. For your next step, you may be happier with a longer hammock.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 05-04-2019 at 13:03.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    If you buy your Hennessy directly from them, instead of say, REI, you can asked for a tarp upgrade and may be changed just the difference between something like their Hex and the standard Asymmetrical. My first hammock was an Explorer - traditional bottom entry, so simple. But I'm really short. So I'd be a little concerned about the size of the Expedition and you. I had a Hennessy Survivor I sold a while back - now that was like a station wagon compared to the sedan size fo the Expedition. For your next step, you may be happier with a longer hammock.
    Not the huge Safari, but a Survivor? I never heard of that one.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Let me add in here. I am short as in 5'2" and while I have other hammocks the HH Expedition and Explorer are my go to hammocks for camping. I like that they are both netted but I did have 2QZQ do a mod 4 to both so I can reach out to adjust my quilt when needed. I have a disability which makes entering/exiting a hammock over the side a bit hard, but the bottom opening HH design works like a champ for me. I did upgrade the tarps for both of them to a bigger size so I had a bit more privacy.

You might say "so she is way shorter than me" but my brother is 6'3" and he loves the Explorer. In fact, to use it I usually have to go to his house and get it!

Each of us are different, way different, when it comes to what is comfortable and what is not. I have an 11' and 12' which are really nice hammocks but when I am going to the woods for camping, my HH is what comes along.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    They may not sell it anymore. It came in camo and I don't see any camo on their site. But it was probably as big as the Safari. They both begin with "S" so maybe it was Safari. I just remember it was BIG relative to the Expedition.

To minimize comments about that slack tarp ridge line in second photo - it was a late night "car camp" where I just had to throw it up quick and planned to be out of the site by 7 AM the next morning.

PatosHammock.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast