Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is a 12 foot tarp to big for 10 foot hammock

Hello, I have a question. This may be painfully obvious to some, but will a 12 foot tarp work with a 10 foot hammock? Is this to much coverage? Will the lines for the tarp and hammock get in the way of one another? I was wanting to try this, but am curious if any fellow hangers can offer any insight. Thanks!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    No that will work just fine and so will and 11' as well. If you want to hang it super low would be the only time the hammock suspension and the tarp suspension may interfere.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    The only disadvantage of a 12 foot is if you have a very short distance between trees. The minimum distance between trees is generally set by the tarp, not the hammock. Even a hammock with Whoopie slings can be hung very short, provided you have continuous loops on each end of the hammock.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Thanks for the replies. I was hopeful it wouldnt cause too much trouble. I guess we will see. I was mainly concerned because my next trip there is supposed to be rain.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    There is a point where you will have to raise your tarp to keep the tarp off of your hammock suspension. That makes you much more susceptible to wind driven rain. If you are going with a longer tarp, you should definitely consider making it wider too. Doors would also be a great way to improve the situation.

That was a bit of my concern. Having to pitch the tarp higher to get over the suspension. My tarp does have doors, but it is not particularly wide. I guess the only way to see, is to get out there and do it.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I had (made) two 12' tarps, one with doors one without, and used them with 11' hammocks.

Although they worked, and created a cavern of protection, after a few seasons I found them to be too big. The biggest annoyance was not being able to get low and tight enough because of the hammock suspension. On two occasions I was stumped with trees that were too close to handle the 12' span. Ultimately sold both and went to 11' tarps with 11' hammocks.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Not sure how the hammock suspension interferes. If you attach to the tarp end, come around the tree and attach back at the tarp, you've made a loop in kind of an ice cream cone shape where the tree is the rounded top of the cone and the tarp end is the bottom of the "V", You can run your hammock suspension between the two tarp lines by bringing it off the middle of the tree. I can imagine, if the tarp is long - making the "ice cream cone" short, and the hammock is short - making the suspension long, that the suspension line could run into the bottom "V" of the cone.

I like big tarps - I like to be under shelter when I'm not in my hammock. But it does require trees further apart. And interesting design would be to extend what Dutch has done with his Asymmetrical tarps - giving two end attachment points on each end so you have the option to angle the tarp more between the trees - effectively shortening the length and widening the side coverage.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post

An interesting design would be to extend what Dutch has done with his Asymmetrical tarps - giving two end attachment points on each end so you have the option to angle the tarp more between the trees - effectively shortening the length and widening the side coverage.
    Without attempting to derail the thread too much, it sounds like what you are talking about is the design illustrated in this excellent thread.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...lar-Wide-Asym)

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    i use a 12' AHEToxaway over a 10.5' DH Freebird. Beyond distance between trees, I have no problems and enjoy the extra over hang in rain and high winds.
    Signature suspended

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast