Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Torn on choosing a fabric, help me out!

Hey y'all!
    I'm still relatively new to hammock camping and have decided to order something a bit nicer than the Eno Doublenest I've been using.

I'm torn as to whether or not I should go with a single or double layer, as I weight about 230lbs and would like to be able to bring my 50lbs pup in occasionally or maybe have a friend pile in and not have it come crashing down.

I'm looking at several different fabrics and it seems like I could get away with using a couple as single layers (Like the Hex70 or 1.9 Ripstop nylon) but there are others that seem like it would be pushing it to use as a single layer, but maybe overkill to double up on (like Dutch's Hexon 1.6) and I just don't know what to do!

I don't yet have an underquilt, but plan to go that route over a pad and thus a double layer in the case of the 1.6 would be more for looks and added security than for putting a pad between.

I also want to be able to store some gear inside with me if needed and not worry about that pushing the weight limit over the top.

So what do you guys think are some fabrics I should look more into and what are your opinions on single vs double layer for a person my size?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I know a lot of people that weigh 230 lbs. using single layer hammocks. Personally, I think the 1.6 Hexon is fine, especially considering it has a 350 lb. weight rating.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

I outweigh you by about 50lbs. and did just fine last season with a home made 1.9 ripstop nylon using fabric from RBTR which is also rated at 350lbs. I just handed that down to my daughter and decided to do my next hammock in the MTN 1.7 XL which is rated for 450lbs. Based on my experience with a friend's hammock out of a similar 1.6 fabric I had initially been leaning towards making myself a hammock out of a 1.6 rated at 300lbs. In the end, the primary reason I chose the MTN 1.7 XL over the 1.6 wasn't really over any concern for the weight rating but because I wanted the extra width and I really only considered the added weight capacity as an extra benefit. My point is, if the 300lb rated HyperD works for a guy my size (and it did), the 350lbs. rated Hexon 1.6 should be more than sufficient for you.

So basically a single layer will hold me and the dog and gear, and despite liking the two-tone color options, its mostly an unnecessary expenditure to opt for that second layer?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Howler View Post
    So basically a single layer will hold me and the dog and gear, and despite liking the two-tone color options, its mostly an unnecessary expenditure to opt for that second layer?
    I'm sure the hexon 1.6 would handle you and your dogs weight but I don't know about his nails. Just something to think about.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I missed the part about the 50 lb. dog. My beagle Joey is 41 lbs., and he does sleep with me in my Hexon 1.6 Dutch Chameleon, but I only weigh 165 lbs. I've never had any problem with beagle Joey's nails damaging the hammock, but I also have never taken him hammocking after getting his nails freshly trimmed.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 05-02-2019 at 01:17.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've decided I either want to go with a 1.9oz ripstop nylon, or a 1.6 hyper d in Robins Egg Blue.
    Anything else I should know about either of the two that might sway me one way or the other?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    1.6oz HyperD has more stretch than 1.9oz ripstop nylon. The HyperD has a surface that feels softer, but also snags more easily. I have managed to pull tiny threads when the skin on my fingers was rough. The 1.9oz ripstop nylon is pretty much bombproof and in my opinion provides one of the nicest lays of all the hammock fabrics available. It would be my first choice if I wanted to have a dog sleep with me in the hammock.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    JRBNest, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    I had a hammock made out of HEX 1.6 and a tab on a zipper tore three huge gashes in the bottom. It didn't drop me on the ground but I have never had that happen with another hammock.

I switched over to MTN 1.7 XL and have never had a problem since.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Torn on choosing a fabric, help me out!

hyper d is soft and a little stretchy. nylon is more firm.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast