SW Montana Newbie Hanger

Hello all...

First, apologies...I just submitted my first post and then realized, I'd never submitted an introduction post.

I'm Doug. I'm a 5th generation son of the San Joaquin and grew up in the shadow of the Sierra Nevada just near SEKI. I went to college in HI where I met my wife who grew up at the foot of the Mission Mountains (AKA the American Alps) in western MT. We now live at the foot of the Pintlers where we continue to be devoted mountain dwellers (as opposed to those wierd desert dwellers or the coastal effete) .

I'm here because I just discovered hammock camping last year on a backpacking trip with my son's boy scout troop. As someone who never slept well on the ground, even in my youth and even with cushy overweight air mattresses, hammocks camping has been a revelation and has reignited my motivation to camp and backpack. Until now I've neglected my own kids' indoctrination into grand wilderness adventures, sticking mostly to day hikes and car-camping where I've literally slept in the car. Now that I've discovered hammock camping, I'm intent on repenting of my malfeasance as a parent and doing a lot more camping and backpacking with my kids. Lucky for me... they're actually excited about it.

I've been reading, studying and learning all I can from you fine folks here at HF and as an avid DIYer, I'm sure I still have hundreds of hours ahead of me gleaning all the info I can from this forum. And, now, hopefully I'll also find a couple opportunities along the way to contribute.

Hope this year provides lots of hang time for ya all. I know I'm looking forward to it!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DHClark76 View Post
    Hello all...

First, apologies...I just submitted my first post and then realized, I'd never submitted an introduction post.

I'm Doug. I'm a 5th generation son of the San Joaquin and grew up in the shadow of the Sierra Nevada just near SEKI. I went to college in HI where I met my wife who grew up at the foot of the Mission Mountains (AKA the American Alps) in western MT. We now live at the foot of the Pintlers where we continue to be devoted mountain dwellers (as opposed to those wierd desert dwellers or the coastal effete) .

I'm here because I just discovered hammock camping last year on a backpacking trip with my son's boy scout troop. As someone who never slept well on the ground, even in my youth and even with cushy overweight air mattresses, hammocks camping has been a revelation and has reignited my motivation to camp and backpack. Until now I've neglected my own kids' indoctrination into grand wilderness adventures, sticking mostly to day hikes and car-camping where I've literally slept in the car. Now that I've discovered hammock camping, I'm intent on repenting of my malfeasance as a parent and doing a lot more camping and backpacking with my kids. Lucky for me... they're actually excited about it.

I've been reading, studying and learning all I can from you fine folks here at HF and as an avid DIYer, I'm sure I still have hundreds of hours ahead of me gleaning all the info I can from this forum. And, now, hopefully I'll also find a couple opportunities along the way to contribute.

Hope this year provides lots of hang time for ya all. I know I'm looking forward to it!
    Welcome to the dark side, DH! You have a beautiful place to camp in, but you will have to pay attention to keeping your back side warm up there in the MT mountains! No problems, it can be done! I learned nearby, in the WY mountains(Wind Rivers), nearly froze to death on that first 22*F early Sept night, but got it figured out by the 2nd night, and have never looked back. Just be aware that your sleeping bag INSIDE your hammock won't help much to keep your back and butt warm. You will need a pad or some sort of UQ for that. Have fun!
    Bill in MS
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-04-2019 at 11:27.

Thanks Bill.

Thankfully, I was warned of CBS when I was introduced to the hammock by my son's scoutmaster. He basically said, don't bother with a hammock if you aren't gonna get an UQ to go with it. So, I made my first under quilt on the same day I made my my first hammock. Now I'm on to making my kids all UQs this season. Something tells me that you must have an assortment of UQs going from the arid cold WY mountains to the warm muggy south. I guess I'll probably have my own collection soon just to account for the changing seasons around here. Right now, around here it can't make up it's mind whether to be winter or summer. Happy hanging this season!

Quote Originally Posted by DHClark76 View Post
    Now that I've discovered hammock camping, I'm intent on repenting of my malfeasance as a parent and doing a lot more camping and backpacking with my kids. Lucky for me... they're actually excited about it.
    Welcome to the fun part of camping out. Your wallet will never be the same, but it's a mostly harmless addiction that none of us really want to kick.
    Cheers.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Welcome to HF from a Flatlander!
    Oooh, shiney! What does THIS button do?

• + New Posts