Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Your bugnet comment is prescient. That's the other thing I've been wrestling with... add an integrated net, or use separate net. I'll guess I'll have to do a version of each and let them fiddle with them and see which they do best with. The three youngest are in parachute nylon and my oldest just got my practically new 1.9 ripstop nylon hammock as a hand-me-down. It was a 10' x 4.5' and a touch narrow for me but perfect for her. Probably next week I'm gonna stitch up two new hammocks. One for my wife out of 1.9 ripstop nylon and one for myself out of the RBTR MTN 1.7 XL.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DHClark76 View Post
    daneaustin3... That's the weight I've been going back and forth on. 3.6oz. vs 5.oz. I think my kids are all colder sleeper than I am so your preference is probably safer than mine. We'll have to test in out in the back yard. But before I commit to any purchases... are there any others out there who have thoughts on the minimum amount I should account for? Does anyone have an opinion on whether or not 5oz. would make the hammock uncomfortable and too warm for casual lounging during the day?
    My kids, 8-18, and I have used 5.0 quilts from 60 and below. If it is too warm you can always vent it or slip it to the side. Also if you make the quilts, ypu can size them so the younger kids can't push them off at night. Mine are 60" wide (I think). I toss and turn all night and have not been cold, nor have pushed it out from underneath me.

On the other hand, the econ down quilts offered now aren't much more than DIY.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Ok, SilvrSufr and daneaustin3. After much consideration based on your comments, I decided to ditch the integrated insulation idea and decided to go with 5.0 UQs. I just ordered a couple more UQ kits from RBTR and will be stitching them up next week. I figured it would give me two 5.0 UQs to add to my own 3.6oz quilts. And since they only camp during late spring to early fall, my son and I can borrow the 5.0oz to layer with our 3.6oz during our winter Boy Scout campouts. And the bonus for my girls is they got to pick their own colors. Win-win. It was more than I initially wanted to spend but, as they say, “buy once, cry once.” We’ll now have a couple more pieces of quality gear that should last a while.

Quote Originally Posted by DHClark76 View Post
    Ok, SilvrSufr and daneaustin3. After much consideration based on your comments, I decided to ditch the integrated insulation idea and decided to go with 5.0 UQs. I just ordered a couple more UQ kits from RBTR and will be stitching them up next week. I figured it would give me two 5.0 UQs to add to my own 3.6oz quilts. And since they only camp during late spring to early fall, my son and I can borrow the 5.0oz to layer with our 3.6oz during our winter Boy Scout campouts. And the bonus for my girls is they got to pick their own colors. Win-win. It was more than I initially wanted to spend but, as they say, “buy once, cry once.” We’ll now have a couple more pieces of quality gear that should last a while.
    If you want to make certain that the UQ won't end up out of place, you could always add a couple of bits of string/loops/whatever to either side of the hammock and UQ, and tie it in place.

Hammock
    Dutchware gear
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Jbend
    When I take my son and his friend backpacking, weight in their packs is a concern, as they are both on the smaller side, but more so than that is the fact that they want to carry all their own items, and some of mine, but their kids sized packs just barely fit their sleeping bags and clothes. I would do a test run of packing everyones packs, including yours prior to the hike, then you will have plenty of time to figure out how much of a cache you would need to hike in prior to your trip. I look up interesting facts about the history and geology of the trail we backpack, and give them tidbits of the info as we hike, they like potential ghost stories of the surrounding areas, or the origin of the trail name. Incorporate some of your favorite car camping traditions, but try to figure out some new special specific backpacking traditions too. To sweeten the deal, I'll take them to a special ice cream place after the trip on our way home that we only visit backpacking, not hiking. Have Fun!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12