Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tplusfive View Post
    Thank you. This looks like a good option to consider and it is a little cheaper than the door kit from Warbonnet.
    The door kit is incredibly easy to make. So maybe buy the tarp(s) and make the doors.

I have templates in my HF albums.. from when I made them for the Mamajamba.

I used just one set of doors for a while...

Sent from somewhere east of Montauk...
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

I need help deciding on a tarp :)

I urge you to get a superfly. it's the most versatile tarp out there. consider getting a center tie outs and a center pole mod if you want to have the most versatile tarp ever made.

Hammock
    DH Raven, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I’m a big fan of the Journey tarp. A little cheaper than the Superfly and comes with panel pulls and ships with seam sealer included.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    Painter's Plastic
    Insulation
    Z-Lite with SPE
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by jdy98p View Post
    I’m a big fan of the Journey tarp. A little cheaper than the Superfly and comes with panel pulls and ships with seam sealer included.
    That is a good looking tarp. The Superfly comes with the seam sealer and panel pullouts also but you are right that the Journey is a little cheaper.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    Painter's Plastic
    Insulation
    Z-Lite with SPE
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlrocm View Post
    I urge you to get a superfly. it's the most versatile tarp out there. consider getting a center tie outs and a center pole mod if you want to have the most versatile tarp ever made.
    I went ahead and ordered one of each - the Superfly and Mamajamba. I didn't get the center pole mod - don't want to carry the poles. What do you like to use the center tie out for? Anything in particular? Was thinking that the corner tieouts and panel pullouts I'd be able to get the tarp very taut when needed.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tplusfive View Post
    I went ahead and ordered one of each - the Superfly and Mamajamba. I didn't get the center pole mod - don't want to carry the poles. What do you like to use the center tie out for? Anything in particular? Was thinking that the corner tieouts and panel pullouts I'd be able to get the tarp very taut when needed.
    if there's time to change your order (probably not, wish I'd seen earlier) I'd recommend getting the pole mod and pole. nothing says you have to bring it, but at least you wouldn't have to buy a whole new tarp. I decided to get end pole mods on my custom printed tarp from UGQ and wow, do I wish I'd gotten that long ago: almost no flapping noises in the wind because the poles keep the whole thing tensioned; if there's wind driven rain, the poles keep the center of gravity of the tarp low and it has structure, so the Windward side tips toward the ground, giving you MORE coverage from wind borne rain which without the poles would blow under and into your face; you don't need as much in terms of guylines because the poles give it structure like a tent when the doors are closed... I could completely release my guylines and it would balance on my ridge-line (unless it's windy) like Shug on a tight rope (obviously a fully tensioned ridge-line that goes under). idk if a center pole only is as ridged a setup as two end poles, or how UGQs tarps compare to the ones you ordered, but I'm very happy with my UGQ gear.

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    tplusfive - the pole mod isn't so much to give tension as it is to create more internal space by pushing the sides out. This is useful in general and more so if using a wide hammock like the Ridge Runner (bridge hammock).

WalksIn2Trees, I'm thinking of getting my Superfly modified (2QZQ) for the center pole mod. Is it necessary to have a "tie" cord inside to hold the top of the pole in place - or is the tension enough? I guess, if you didn't want to add a tie (holes to seal in the ridge line), you could run a light line from end-to-end under the tarp that would hold the pole in place.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    BB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie and LL TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    WalksIn2Trees, I'm thinking of getting my Superfly modified (2QZQ) for the center pole mod. Is it necessary to have a "tie" cord inside to hold the top of the pole in place - or is the tension enough? I guess, if you didn't want to add a tie (holes to seal in the ridge line), you could run a light line from end-to-end under the tarp that would hold the pole in place.

I have a Superfly with a factory center pole mod and would say something is needed to secure the top of the pole, be it a tie on the ridge line or cords run to each end. The length of pole you use as well as whether you stake down the center tie outs can increase the tension, but it's still not enough to reliably hold everything in place in my opinion. I would find cords fiddly and recommend adding a tieout. I added some extra sealer to mine and have had no water issues. I have a Nite Ize size 2 attached and just clip the pole in.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    tplusfive - the pole mod isn't so much to give tension as it is to create more internal space by pushing the sides out. This is useful in general and more so if using a wide hammock like the Ridge Runner (bridge hammock).

Four tarps over the years that used an internal pole. Mamajamba, Superfly and two 12' DIYs. The pole makes for a cavern inside the tarp.

All of them had a small ribbon sewn at the ridge to secure the pole. Without the ribbon the pole will flop over. Tension is not enough to hold the pole on place.

Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Four tarps over the years that used an internal pole. Mamajamba, Superfly and two 12' DIYs. The pole makes for a cavern inside the tarp.

All of them had a small ribbon sewn at the ridge to secure the pole. Without the ribbon the pole will flop over. Tension is not enough to hold the pole on place.

There are 2 other ways I've seen it done:

Basically a tent pole clip sewn to the inside center of the tarp ridge seam (SLD Trail Haven). Pretty much the same concept as the basic ribbon ties but without having to actually tie anything.

2 equal lengths of shock cord attached to the center of the pole, with mitten hooks at each end to clip into the tarp ridgeline split rings (UGQ Winterdream). This method is definitely not as minimalist as a simple ribbon inside the tarp ridge seam, but it does avoid the potential for a leak path if the ribbon isn't sealed.

End poles on the other hand can basically stay self supported with tension alone, not necessarily requiring extra ties, etc. at the ridge. Still, secondary support doesn't hurt.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 05-10-2019 at 17:06.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast