Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    You can make a very inexpensive gathered end hammock from tyvek. The large rolls are 9' tall which, would certainly be long enough for a 5,year old. Gathering the ends and whipping is difficult because the material is very slippery but if you give the ends a light spray of adhesive before you gather/whip, it's very easy. I still bring my Tyvek hammock on canoe camping trips to use as a gear hammock.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Orthofingers View Post
    You can make a very inexpensive gathered end hammock from tyvek. The large rolls are 9' tall which, would certainly be long enough for a 5,year old. Gathering the ends and whipping is difficult because the material is very slippery but if you give the ends a light spray of adhesive before you gather/whip, it's very easy. I still bring my Tyvek hammock on canoe camping trips to use as a gear hammock.
    How noisy is it? Tyvek is pretty crinkly.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    There have been a couple of people on the forum, who were crazy (or brave?) enough to hang from even Argon .67. It probably won't wear out immediately, but most kids like to play pretty rough with hammocks. I wouldn't let a child I'm responsible for hang in anything lighter than 40D. Even if they probably won't get hurt when falling, you might turn them off of hammock camping for a long time.

If you want your UQP to be multipurpose, consider a calendared fabric like 1.6oz HyperD. If you want to make an inexpensive hammock, I have a couple of yards of 1.9oz ripstop or even some 1.6oz nylon I ordered at some Black Friday a couple of years ago that I would be willing to let go for what I paid myself. EU tax already paid.

Hammock
    Netless. DIY or Dutchware
    Tarp
    HG The Journey 11'
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thank you, hutzelbein. It was just curiosity. I have already ordered 3 yards of 1.6oz fabric to make shorter hammock for my daughter and it will be in Hot Pink color because she like the color. It will be used mostly at home I think. We decided to make something like this 59295725_618056408710607_2890271406887534592_n[1].png so she can sleep either in bed or in hammock.

I also ordered 1.6oz fabric and 1.0oz Monolite Mesh to make 2 more full size (10-11') hammocks. So, we will totally have 4 full size (10-11') hammocks: wide and heavy but comfortable TTTM 'Double', ultralight unbreathable Lesovik (not bad despite unbreathable fabric, just not for every season), ultralight and ultrabreathable Monolite hammock and "regular" 1.6oz hammock. More than enough. For now. One month old son is growing and I'm looking forward for family camping in 2 sets of double hammocks (with a spreader bar)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12