Tarp
    OES MC D
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

What to do?

Ok, so I'm moving to the Seattle area in September. I've never been there, but I know the area is widely known for rainfall. I'm about ready to order a Maccat, but I'm not sure if I should spring for the ultra or stick with the deluxe. I don't want to carry more than needed, but I don't want to be confined to my hammock on rainy days either. Is the deluxe roomy enough for sitting outside the hammock and cooking dinner?
    You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone. -- Al Capone

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    I done that many times in the pouring down rain. I usually have an "awning" setup with my leki's. The Deluxe is fine for me, albeit I have doors too if needed for more storage and protection when it starts blowing sideways.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    HH ULBA
    Tarp
    OES MC D
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    When I get to the states, I'm planning on sending mine in for doors too. So deluxe it is. I've been hearing that I might be spending a fair amount of time under my tarp so it needs to be roomy.
    You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone. -- Al Capone

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm ok with the Standard, so I think a Deluxe is plenty of extra room for rainy days...for my style, at least. I wouldn't get something as big as an Ultra unless I was hanging two hammocks under the same tarp...but plenty of folks here have them and like them.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I wouldn't get something as big as an Ultra unless I was hanging two hammocks under the same tarp...but plenty of folks here have them and like them.
    Bear in mind the Ultra is the same width as the Deluxe. It just has a longer ridgeline length.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    HH ULBA
    Tarp
    OES MC D
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Oohhhh... Didn't notice that. Hmmmmm....

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I'd think the deluxe would be plenty. Combine it with Grizz beaks and you'd have a lot of flexibility. Sometimes it's nice to have a shorter length ridgeline in order to fit into the smaller places.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter
    Insulation
    down bag, pad
    Suspension
    strap,biner,D-ring
    Highstrung, come over to the east slope of the Cascades. Less rain, more sun. It's not that far of a drive from the emerald city.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Bear in mind the Ultra is the same width as the Deluxe. It just has a longer ridgeline length.
    Yeah - there have been times where I could fit Joker and me under the Standard, but I wanted just a bit more length because of the hammock separation caused by the width of the tree. A longer ridgeline means that the wide part of the tarp (after the cat cut on the ends) is also a bit longer...so it covers more of the hammock when you're not laying down the centerline (e.g. two hammocks hanging off opposite sides of the same tree).
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBBB D1.1
    Tarp
    McCat Spn Deluxe
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ Te-wa TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I have a deluxe in spinnUL and its perfect. I survived 24 hours of rain blowing sideways in 60mph gusts without even getting damp spray! I didn't even have an ideal position to the wind, I was about 45d off the wind direction with my ridge line. Very impressed with the coverage, construction, durability, and tarp overall. I did just order another OES but this one is square for dual hammock coverage.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast