Input for MYOG sleeping bag/quilt (fabrics and insulation?)

Hi,
    I’ve done a lot of reading on this forum and finally decided to just ask for some specific thoughts; I’m getting “paralysis-by-analysis” syndrome…
    I’m looking to sew 3 quilts/sleeping bags that my two kids and I can use for car camping. Weight isn’t a big issue, however, I would prefer them to not take up too much space in the car whilst traveling.

Insulation:
    I plan to use Climashield 5oz (I'm considering adding a second layer of the 2.5oz). My kids are ages 3 and 5 so we won’t be doing much camping where nighttime temps get below 40F (at worst).
    1) Is there any other insulation or batting that doesn't require "quilting" every few inches to secure it, or are there any other methods such as adhesive?
    *I’ve considered bamboo batting, wool batting, and craft store poly-batting, but I’m trying to avoid insulation that requires extra quilting (if you think there’s an option or method I’ve missed then please let me know).

Fabrics:
    I’m looking for something with a “silk/powdery” feel, NOT a “plastic” or “satin” feel. I’m considering using either the 1.1oz or 1.9oz ripstop nylon from ripstopbytheroll.com.
    1) Is there a difference of how those two weights feel to the skin?
    2) How does the Calendared vs Uncalendared affect the feel?
    3) Is there a different fabric that would be a better choice (since weight is not an issue), such as bamboo or tencel?*
    *For example, I have a Mountain Hardwear Lamina 35°F with their Thermic Micro™ insulation and its inner and outer shell has the type of “feel” that I’m looking for.

**For anyone that’s able to give me some advice here’s a few extra details of how we’ll be using them:
    -Car camping
    -Tent (no hammocks yet...)
    -Around 40F at the lowest (trying to predict worst case scenario with the kiddos)
    -Pacific NW, so dealing with humid air, and potentially rain.
    -Sleeping on 3” thick inflatable sleeping pads (still need to figure out additional bottom insulation pad?)
    -Maybe 20 to 30 nights of usage per year, for now (I think)
    -Perfect case scenario would be to sew “envelope” style bags that can be used individually and also be zipped together to create one big family bag on warmer nights. (I’m comfortable with a sewing machine, but I still prefer easy; it’s hard to get time to focus with the kiddos so young).

***Thoughts from the back of my mind... is this “overkill” for what I’m looking for; should I just be getting something off amazon or at a sporting goods store?

I know this is a Hammock forum, but it's the only place I've been able to find that has an ample amount of info about making such things, so thank you so much in advance to anyone who takes the time to read this!

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Honestly for the temp rating you want, it would cost less to go buy some 40deg bags from Walmart! They cost less than 20 a piece.

On the diy spectrum you would probably spend more than that in materials

Images
    ^^^ Agree with just getting some cheap rectangles.

Kids that young are not going to appreciate the finer points of gear you are making for them. They will just be happy to get out and play.

If cooler temperature ratings are a concern, you can add any sort of "regular" blanket as a booster (fleece, Snuggy, down throw).

For fabric feel, you can get a fleece liner or silk liner, depending on your preference.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    If you're determined to pursue the DIY bags, you might order a fabric sample from RBTR. For $3 you get 4 different fabric samples to help you decide. That's pretty cheap insurance against yards and yards of fabric you don't like and will never use.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbit_hole View Post
    Hi,
    I’ve done a lot of reading on this forum and finally decided to just ask for some specific thoughts; I’m getting “paralysis-by-analysis” syndrome…
    I’m looking to sew 3 quilts/sleeping bags that my two kids and I can use for car camping. Weight isn’t a big issue, however, I would prefer them to not take up too much space in the car whilst traveling.

Insulation:
    I plan to use Climashield 5oz (I'm considering adding a second layer of the 2.5oz). My kids are ages 3 and 5 so we won’t be doing much camping where nighttime temps get below 40F (at worst).
    1) Is there any other insulation or batting that doesn't require "quilting" every few inches to secure it, or are there any other methods such as adhesive?
    *I’ve considered bamboo batting, wool batting, and craft store poly-batting, but I’m trying to avoid insulation that requires extra quilting (if you think there’s an option or method I’ve missed then please let me know).

Fabrics:
    I’m looking for something with a “silk/powdery” feel, NOT a “plastic” or “satin” feel. I’m considering using either the 1.1oz or 1.9oz ripstop nylon from ripstopbytheroll.com.
    1) Is there a difference of how those two weights feel to the skin?
    2) How does the Calendared vs Uncalendared affect the feel?
    3) Is there a different fabric that would be a better choice (since weight is not an issue), such as bamboo or tencel?*
    *For example, I have a Mountain Hardwear Lamina 35°F with their Thermic Micro™ insulation and its inner and outer shell has the type of “feel” that I’m looking for.

**For anyone that’s able to give me some advice here’s a few extra details of how we’ll be using them:
    -Car camping
    -Tent (no hammocks yet...)
    -Around 40F at the lowest (trying to predict worst case scenario with the kiddos)
    -Pacific NW, so dealing with humid air, and potentially rain.
    -Sleeping on 3” thick inflatable sleeping pads (still need to figure out additional bottom insulation pad?)
    -Maybe 20 to 30 nights of usage per year, for now (I think)
    -Perfect case scenario would be to sew “envelope” style bags that can be used individually and also be zipped together to create one big family bag on warmer nights. (I’m comfortable with a sewing machine, but I still prefer easy; it’s hard to get time to focus with the kiddos so young).

***Thoughts from the back of my mind... is this “overkill” for what I’m looking for; should I just be getting something off amazon or at a sporting goods store?

I know this is a Hammock forum, but it's the only place I've been able to find that has an ample amount of info about making such things, so thank you so much in advance to anyone who takes the time to read this!
    On the insulation- for reduced quilting Climbashield is really your only option. Though Primaloft packs much smaller, lays nicer and for simple kids gear you could bump that up to 12" OC if you wanted.
    There was a person at Backpacking light who played with using a spray adhesive to secure the Primaloft Gold to the shell. In theory seems fine and it's basically what Wiggy's does. I just never heard any long term feedback on the method or if there were any downsides. I'd think you'd need to find a way to roll the insulation to ensure it got a solid bond too. There is a video out there showing how Wiggy's does it with their stuff- but looks hard to do for a one off.

On the fabric-
    While not 100% required for Climbashield Apex- still probably best to get calendared fabric for sleeping gear. You are supposed to put the calendared side towards the insulation and generally this doesn't affect the feel of the other side in a serious manner.

I think Membrane 10 is the best shell material, though because of the DWR finish it can feel plastic or clammy at the start. If find this feeling goes away with a few dozen nights use.
    It's an UL material though which is part of the basis of my opinion of it. It's also a premium shell and more expensive than you need to go. Many people don't consider shell material in relation to pack size... but it does make a difference.

That said- generally the best hand of the heavier fabrics remains HyperD 1.0 and is a great kids shell as it's more durable. I made Primaloft Gold quilts for my kids and my son likes his enough he sleeps with it every night and plays with it at home. The HyperD is softer than 1.1 oz ripstop and has held up great. A 1.9 ounce RS could potentially be found for cheap- but it's a pretty stiff fabric.

If you wanted a fabric feel and really don't give a poop on weight or pack size- https://www.questoutfitters.com/wicking_fabrics.htm
    A wicking (synthetic base layer) fabric is like a bedsheet next to skin. With Apex, you shouldn't get anything sneaking through but you could.

Again- I'd still go HyperD with Apex. It's a solid beater piece of gear for kids, easy to build and durable enough they won't mess it up.

• + New Posts