Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Caution with Amok Draumr hammocks

Just an FYI.. I recently ordered an XL and a regular Draumr. I have been hammock camping for years, have two Hennessy's, Warbonnet Blackbird and XLC , two Chameleons and even a Tensile Stingray.

The XL arrived and the next day I took into the backyard to get familiar with it before taking it out on a trip. I really liked how everything was packaged and looked. I set it up for the first time, checking the trees and surrounding area, eyeballing everything, flipped up the foot area and sat back. I swings quit a bit. I knew it would more so than with a gathered end hammock. I had to wait quite a while til it leveled out and stopped. When it did it was comfortable and wonderful...until..... So, I noticed I was sitting a little low and leaning to the right. I pulled it up to have a seated position and then began to exit in order to fix it. The hammock will swing again when you exit. When it did, it caught hold of something (only thing I could find was a raise in an tree root) and all I heard was a "rip" sound. My heart sunk. I got out to find a foot and a half tear in the nylon fabric. It did not puncture the inflatable sleeping pad. I think it caught and when with the swing and weight, it just ran.

I contacted Amok. They responded quickly. I provided a photo and explanation of what happened with my two order numbers, so they could see one was still in transit and the damaged one had only arrived the day prior. I pointed out the fact that this hammock swings instead of sways like a gathered end hammock and I felt that 1. the consumer needed to be aware of the bottom is very vulnerable because of the swing. 2. The bottom should be made, at least the leg portion, of a more durable and resilient material. Nylon Ripstop 70D on a gathered end hammock maybe alright, but on this design their is more force, their for it is a design/ material flaw. 3. Their 100% Satisfaction (I totally understand that in most situation that just means undamaged).

Although they said they heard what I was saying. They would not take back the hammock because it was now damaged. They contend that there is no design flaw and said any nylon that gets caught will rip. I totally agree, that is why the bottom needs extra protection of some kind. They don't see it that way.

So, I am sending back the second Draumr and will have to repair the damaged XL. I plan on taping and seam sealing the other side. After drying for a day or so, remove the tape and repeat on the other side. Then using some kind of rubber spray, like Plasti Dip, spraying a protective layer over the leg portion of the bottom.

This was a long post I know,,, Just wanted everyone to know to be extra careful, the bottom is vulnerable.

Happy hanging

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Well a cottage vendor they are not but if they wanted to win customers they should have worked with your mistake.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Sorry, I'm with the manufacturer on this one.

If this is a widely observed and reported problem (any links to similar incidents?) that would be another story, but I'd imagine they've sold many hundreds or these and that nobody has previously opined that it is a design flaw. This reminds me of the episode where a guy cut his Zpacks tent (EDIT: correction, it was only the stuff sack) while opening the shipping box and expected Zpacks to send him a new one.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    So you ripped your hammock on a protruding object in your yard and some how it is their fault and they should eat the loss?
    Not following the logic on this one. Yes it sucks, but no it isn't their fault and they shouldn't have to pay for it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Images
    Most first time buyers are newbies at all of this and we all know how overwelming it can get. I can't believe the company did not at least offer to repair the damaged foot end of the hammock. Just how dam hard would that have been. IMO this is very poor customer service I will never recommend one of these to a friend. Thanks for reporting the customer service response.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Most first time buyers are newbies at all of this and we all know how overwelming it can get. I can't believe the company did not at least offer to repair the damaged foot end of the hammock. Just how dam hard would that have been. IMO this is very poor customer service I will never recommend one of these to a friend. Thanks for reporting the customer service response.
    you're also depending on mr 2 post that they did not offer to repair it

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    you're also depending on mr 2 post that they did not offer to repair it
    Are you suggestion this guys has an ulterior motive? If I was new to this hobby and felt I got burned by a vendor I'd find a place to complain.
    I guess we will just have to see how this turns out.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    OP's second post is a copy/paste of this one and it elicited a similar response.

All due respect to everyone involved, my feeling is that if I damage something I am responsible for it, whether it involves a large company that could easily afford to "eat it" or a small vendor who could not. It's a fairness issue — I do not mince words and twist logic in order to shift blame to someone else.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    JRBNest, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    I think he should get a brand new AMOK.

I wrecked my car the other day and Ford gave me a brand new Explorer.

My pants ripped the second time I wore them and Levi's sent me a brand new pair.

Oh, and the battery in my new toothbrush is already going bad. Guess what? They are sending me a new toothbrush.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    lol I went out with my new Gossamer Gear Murmur and on the first real backpack trip with it managed to poke a hole in it when passing too close to a small broken branch that was sticking out.

I did this butt-ugly repair but really they should give me a new one. The material it's made from is gossamer (get it?) thin and not up to the task... clearly a design flaw.

(It did provide a valuable lesson/reminder that field-repairing silnylon cannot be done by simply slapping on an adhesive patch.)

gg_murmur_patch.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast