Classic vs ZIP - different lay?

I just wondered if the Velcro-backed opening in the bottom of the Classic hammocks means they feel different to lay on than the equivalent ZIP hammocks.

I've got an old Classic hammock (it's some sort of lightweight backpacking model). It's the only hammock I've ever used, and I'm not sure how comfortable it is. I think the area around the opening is a bit firmer than the surrounding area, and possibly the tension slightly squeezes my lower legs\feet together.

I don't have a lot of time in the hammock, and as I don't have any other accessories (ie tarp or underquilt etc) I'm thinking about buying a new one. Because I'm in the UK, Hennessy seems to be the only brand which is readily available at a semi-reasonable price. I'm interested in the Hyperlite ZIP, but it's a lot of money to spend if it's going to give the same lay as my Classic hammock. Obviously the Hyperlilte is made from a different material, so perhaps that will also affect things.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    The lay is the same, zip or not.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Thanks for confirming that! Oh well, perhaps it's not worth buying a Hyperlite if it's not going to be any different other than the material and slight weight reduction (which does appeal to me).

just so you know, dutchware has a uk local distributor: https://dutchwaregear.com/distributors/

Thanks. I've been speaking with them and they steered me towards a different hammock (it's in the post).

In the meantime I tried spinning around in my Hennessy so that my legs were at the head end and vice versa. I was a bit wary of my torso flopping backwards through the velcro flap! However, I got the impression that the material under my legs and feet felt different without the velcro flap in the way.

I suppose the only way to know for certain would be to buy a Hennessy Zip hammock...

Quote Originally Posted by deejayen View Post
    ... However, I got the impression that the material under my legs and feet felt different without the velcro flap in the way.

I was guessing that to be true...

• + New Posts