Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If you were lucky to hang your tarp for best weather protection (rain coming from boardside opposite good view) AND you have a large-ish tarp, it's easy to prop one (or both) side up and be able to stand up or sit in the hammock - move around. Less confined than in a tent. And many tent campers only use the rainfly. So they are out in the rain as they pack up.

But as deadeye says, that's why we have gear. Pack up under the tarp, put on rain gear, stow the tarp, and go back out on the trail.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Keep your mind occupied...check for water ingress/drip lines, adjust your tarp, write your thoughts, read a ebook, play phone games, take some photos/video, study the topo map or gps, sketch, whittle wood, cook food, capture some of that rain for cooking, scratch some drainage ditches so the water channels away/around your dry spot under your tarp, if your near water check your rod/handline...

Vary your position...sitting, lying, stretch, walk around when the weather let's up, walk around while its raining, naked, use it as a shower...

...or if your totally spent, let your body recuperate & sleep the sleep of the damned...and let the weather do it's worst.

If there's a deadline, prepare to walk out or let others know (if you can) that your hunkered down an extra day.
    Last edited by ofuros; 04-27-2019 at 12:34.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Use a bit of string wrapped around the hammock and tied to a tarp corner to get the hammock out of the way when lounging or cooking in your chair.
    Great trick. Could've really used this when hunkered down through a torrential downpour near Mammoth Cave National Park during a long road trip. That night's dinner was terribly dreary.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Quote Originally Posted by oms121 View Post
    I won’t be carrying a chair but I do use the hammock as a chair. Do you carry any type of ground cloth so you can sit/lay on the ground for variety?

Thanks
    My AGG rain kilt doubles as a ground cloth.I marked one side with tape so the same side is always turned to the ground.In cooler weather I would wear rain pants but I always carry both the kilt and the pants.Im not sure if there is a limit as to how long I could lazy out in a hammock in porch mode in the rain....

Hammock
    11' SLD Lair
    Tarp
    SLD and HG WP
    Insulation
    HG UQ
    Images
    I also try and remember to roll the lip of tyvek up just in case I am downside
    of a hilly area. Just in case I get a little runoff. I seem to only forget the couple
    times a year where Im in lots of rain and down side of runoff!!! lol

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I think the longest hike I've been on was seven days, so I usually have things to see and people to do - hanging out for a day is probably not an option since I have a fixed itinerary. My first choice will always be to hike on. However, I have hiked in some weather that was simply unbearable, resulting in hypothermia setting in. When that happens, I'll set up my hammock and tarp, dry out for a few hours, take a nap, and wait for the weather to clear (or at least I can warm my body up enough to continue).

Like others have said, I would dread sitting around staring at the four walls of a tent for hours.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    Give me a hammock in a heavy rainstorm any day over the confinements of a tent.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oms121 View Post
    I see you are in the Whites. Is hammock camping allowed throughout or is it restricted to certain areas? I’ve only done one hike in the Whites (Pemi loop) and I was ground camping then but that terrain seemed perfect for hammocks given how rocky and how little flat ground there was in some portions of the loop.

Thanks
    Always in a hammock in the Whites. In fact, that is what tipped me away from tents. There's no place to pitch them, except a few controlled spots, which are tent platforms. You can hammock camp anywhere in the Whites except a very few designated wilderness areas and not close to roads.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

I always carry an extra tarp. I string this up for my fire/cook area. Ill sit around a fire all day. The extra weight is worth it to me.

I also carry a book/magazine/diary. Plus there is always something to fiddle with hammock camping.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ, HG UQ - LL TQ
    Suspension
    Straps, Becket hit
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Always in a hammock in the Whites. In fact, that is what tipped me away from tents. There's no place to pitch them, except a few controlled spots, which are tent platforms. You can hammock camp anywhere in the Whites except a very few designated wilderness areas and not close to roads.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Thanks, that’s good to know. I got lucky on the Pemi loop and found flat stealth sites that were great but it took some looking and patience.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast