Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hanging in a car

I've been wondering if it's possible to hang my hammock in my Dacia (Renault in the US) Duster small SUV. There are times when I'm not really "rural" enough to hang outside and sleeping in the car is the only option.
    Well, the answer is yes. I've managed to hang my little Aldi basic hammock diagonally across the car with the straps arranged so the forces are pulling on the roof pillars rather than the door hinges.
    It took a bit of adjustment of sling length to get the sag just right but I got there eventually.
    The added bonus is that the courtesy light is in just the right place for reading and I can stow my keys and glasses in the overhead storage bin.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Where there's a will, there's a dedicated hanger. I think there was a commercial product that allowed something similar, or maybe it was a proposed kickstarter or something along those lines. Your homemade solution proves it can be done without investing in somebody else's company, so congrats.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Wow. I can't imagine that is comfortable but I guess it depends on how tall you are. I also can't imagine how I would ever get in a hammock in a car, heck I sometimes have issues when hanging outside I use an air mattress in my SUV but congrats on another place to hang the hammock.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Gargoyle hangs in his vehicle regularly. I'm sure he would have some tips and tricks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    It was an epiphany to realize I only needed one tree (that I can reach from my Jeep) at a drive in campsite. Now I may have a use for that short GrandTrunk nano. Have to see if I can get the span and still be off the seat. Thank you for the idea.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Wow! I wish I can do that with my VW Golf.

Maybe I can do the one tree method with my cargo rack though. However, a better comfortable solution for rest stops would be great though.

Quote Originally Posted by W8lkinUSA View Post
    Wow! I wish I can do that with my VW Golf.

Maybe I can do the one tree method with my cargo rack though. However, a better comfortable solution for rest stops would be great though.
    Give it a try, your Golf is about the same size as a Duster.
    If your hammock is to long you can leave some of it outside the door.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Be careful. Those roof racks are designed to support about 150 lbs and that is with the load sitting on top of them. You are adding lots of pressure to the roof rack that it is not designed to handle by hanging the hammock that way. The screws used to go thru the roof are not than big and most times are only going thru sheet metal with out any reinforcement underneath.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Be careful. Those roof racks are designed to support about 150 lbs and that is with the load sitting on top of them. You are adding lots of pressure to the roof rack that it is not designed to handle by hanging the hammock that way. The screws used to go thru the roof are not than big and most times are only going thru sheet metal with out any reinforcement underneath.
    That was my main worry when I was planning the mounting points. A lot of the weight is taken by the hammock being squeezed by the door seal.
    The remaining strain is applied longitudinally to the rear of the roof rail so all the mouning bolts are sharing the load.
    What might not be clear from the picture is that the front strap isn't attached to the roof rail but is wedged in the opposite door. The rail just stops the strap from slipping in the door seal.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemlock View Post
    Give it a try, your Golf is about the same size as a Duster.
    If your hammock is to long you can leave some of it outside the door.

I'm 5' 11'' and can hardly imagine being comfortable with all the seats down and forward [much less in a car cabin hammock]..

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Great point. My roof rack, cargo basket, and bike rack are all aftermarket. Guess I'll need a Jeep's roll bar for greater support.

Time to install an autocross roll bar for my hatchback! 😁 Only kidding of course..

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast