Dutchware Netless Wide 1.7 Hexon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch

Before I buy materials

Hi fellow DIYers I hope you'll be able to help me out with my list of materials I need to buy to put together a hammock and a Fronkey-style bugnet. My husband and I are planning our first ever backpacking trip in less than a month and I hope to have 2 hammocks and 2 bug nets done before we go. This is my first DIY project that involves sewing.

These are the items I think I need to buy. Since I want Hexon for the hammocks I'm planning on getting everything from Dutch for this order. Please let me know if anything is wrong or if I missed anything. Thank you.

HAMMOCK:
    Hammock material for 2 11' hammocks = 8 yards of Hexon 1.6
    Amsteel for 4 continuous loops and 4 whoopie slings = 25' of 7/64
    Tree huggers (4 total) = 25' of Black Premium Webbing
    Structural ridgelines (2 total) = 25' ZingIt/LashIt/1.75 UHMWPE

FRONKEY BUG NETS:
    Bug netting for 2 bug nets = 16 yards of Noseeum
    Shock cord for 2 bug nets = 25' of 3/32" reflective shock cord
    Cordlocks for 2 bug nets = 2 Double Cord Locks

Thanks again for your help!

Edited to add-
    In making this post I realize now that I am still not sure on some of the materials I need i.e.: whether I should get the .9 or Nano Noseeum netting, whether to get Zing-It, Lash-It or Dutch's 1.75mm UHMWPE, and I completely forgot about thread! If any of you could point me in the right direction or let me know what the differences are in the above mentioned materials I would greatly appreciate it!
    Last edited by SutterButtes; 04-26-2019 at 01:17.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I think you need more Amsteel for 4 continuous loops and 4 whoopie slings. For a 6' whoopie sling, I think it's around 14' of Amsteel.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I add hammock pullouts but with your choice of Fronkey style net, that won't work. How about some shock cord and cord locks for Knotty mods? Additional noseeum for ridge line organizer or gear loft?

I've made a bunch of hammocks and tarps but never a Fronkey...
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SutterButtes View Post
    Hi fellow DIYers I hope you'll be able to help me out with my list of materials I need to buy to put together a hammock and a Fronkey-style bugnet. My husband and I are planning our first ever backpacking trip in less than a month and I hope to have 2 hammocks and 2 bug nets done before we go. This is my first DIY project that involves sewing.

These are the items I think I need to buy. Since I want Hexon for the hammocks I'm planning on getting everything from Dutch for this order. Please let me know if anything is wrong or if I missed anything. Thank you.

HAMMOCK:
    Hammock material for 2 11' hammocks = 8 yards of Hexon 1.6
    Tree huggers (4 total) = 25' of Black Premium Webbing
    Structural ridgelines (2 total) = 25' ZingIt/LashIt/1.75 UHMWPE

..whether to get Zing-It, Lash-It or Dutch's 1.75mm UHMWPE, ... let me know what the differences are in the above mentioned materials I would greatly appreciate it!

May I ask a question, If you are buying Hexon 1.6 at $6.95/yrd is just purchasing one of his pre-made netless hammocks out of Hexon 1.7 an option? For $2.00 you save a bunch of work. Drawback is a more limited color choice. perhaps an option to consider.

First, Zing-it - Lash-IT and 1.75mm UHMEPE are all the same thing. There may be a small coating difference between Zing-IT and Lash-It that makes one slicker than the other. However, for ridgelines they are the same thing, same fibers, strength, etc. 25' will be plenty for 110" fixed ridgelines. May I also suggest you go ahead and buy the 180' spool, that way you have enough for other projects like Bear lines, Tarp ridgelines, tarp tie-outs etc.

This item concerns me. 8" loops consume just over 2' of cord each. (16" final dimension, 4" bury per end and 1" length loss =25" some like longer buries) That's almost well over 1/3 before the 1st whoopie. Off the top of my head, from one end to the other, for a Whoopie sling. Locked Brummel 4" buried, 8" (for 4" loop), 5" for the bury, loss and gap, 10" constriction section, 2" loss due to bury, max loop length * 2, 10" bury, 5" for a 2" end bury. This would be... 4+8+5+10+2+10+5= 44 or ~4' + how long do you want your Whoopie? for a 4 foot max length it takes 12' for cord. for 6 foot whoopie it takes 16' of cord... each.
    You should be ok with the 7/64" cord if you normal weights.
    Could consider: https://www.lfsmarineoutdoor.com/Sam...=1491&size=438 they offer a 600' spool of 7/64" Amsteel Blue for ~$69 delivered.

25' of webbing will be fine depending on the suspension style you use and the tree diameter. Obviously it is too short for a sequoia. This length will be ok if you make a hummingbird style suspension. This style is a short strap with the whoopie tied permanently to the strap. 25' feet os strap should make four 5'10" straps. These could be a little short for becket hitches, unless you are always on 1 foot diameter and smaller trees all the time. FWIW, I use and love the humming bird style of suspension.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    You need about 25' of Amsteel to make two 6' whoopies and you need about 3' for each continuous loop.

Zing-it, Lash-it and 1.75 UMHWPE is all the same except for color.

Use 100% polyester thread. I use Gutterman brand.

I prefer tree straps vs huggers for more versatility, especially in short hangs. Straps have one loop with Marlin spike hitch at the other end. Huggers have two loops.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    I think you need more Amsteel for 4 continuous loops and 4 whoopie slings. For a 6' whoopie sling, I think it's around 14' of Amsteel.
    For anyone interested, FLTutles's estimate of 14' of Amsteel for a whoopie sling with a 5' loop and 6' overall, My quote of 16' of Amsteel produces a 6' loop or a 7' overall whoopie. We are talking the same measurements, just defined 6' a little different.

FLtutle, thank you for the affirmation that my off the head calculation was not too far off.

Images
    It was hinted above, but don't forget about needles and thread. Maybe some straight pins.

If you do use Gutermann thread as noted above, you'll probably want size 12 or 14 needles for Mara 70 thread or size 10 or 12 needles for Tera 80 thread. For webbing, if you decided to use a heavier thread like Mara 50, you'd probably want size 14 or 16 needles.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 04-26-2019 at 10:17.

Hammock
    Netless + Bottom Entry net
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    I like Amsteel for hammock ridgelines. There's very little weight/cost penalty. The wider diameter makes it much much easier to splice the eyes into the ends as well. I'd also suggest making your ridgeline about 2 inches shorter than you want them; while the cordage doesn't "stretch" the braid and fibers do tighten up and the ridgeline will lengthen after taking a load the first time. An adjustable ridgeline is another option you could consider if you want to play around and find your preferred length.

Also I may be wrong (someone correct me if I am) but I am under the impression that zingit/lashit are for a regular ridgeline: for hanging organizers, gear and for helping to get the right hang angle. On the other hand a "structural" ridgeline needs to be able to take the same forces as your suspension for times when your hang angle is a bit shallow. I've read a few accounts of zingit/lashit ridgelines snapping.
    Last edited by jabraso; 04-26-2019 at 11:05.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    Check out dutchwaregear DIY page for info on the bottom entry bug net (Fronkey). It has step by step patterns and a list of needed accessories. Dutch may even sell a kit.

https://dutchwaregear.com/2017/07/12...entry-bug-net/

Also, You may want to plan on making a bag or two to hold your hammocks and bug nets so a little more hexon may be in order.
    The essential part of me can not be discussed here. Ask me in person.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wide 1.7 Hexon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Wow! Thank you all for your replies! I am soo glad I asked here before ordering. I've been doing tons of research and thought I had it pretty much down but I guess I still have lots to learn!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast