Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hennessy super shelter or dutchware sock

I am looking at adding some more wind protection for my Hennessy asym zip hammock. I am wondering the pros and cons in other people’s opinion. Wind protection and how much colder could you get temp wise with either the super shelter or the sock. Looking for any and all advice. I like that the super shelter is two parts of I want to use bottom only but don’t know if one is better than the other. I Have zero experience with either one.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    They are two different things, so using one or the other depends on what you're already doing for insulation. If you're not yet using anything, then definitely the SS. If you use a pad for insulation, then definitely the sock.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I've had both and the sock will have more more protection. By "both" I mean I've used the WarBonnet Sock, not Dutchware. The SuperShelter is pretty much just an underquilt protector and some reflexit type material between it and the hammock - like using an un-inflated pad between your hammock and the UQP (under quilt protector). It works (in the summer) but I think you'd get a wider temperature range out of a sock.

The con of the sock is visibility and, in cold winter, condensation challenges. By visibility I mean your ability to see out. The sock creates somewhat of a single wall tent environment. The WB sock has an arched zipper opening on one the side. So you can open it pretty good and still block wind coming from the opposite side.

The only sock I tried from Dutchware slide over the hammock ridge line and had a cinch adjustment at the end - near the end of the hammock's gathered end. There was no way I could reach that when in the hammock. I think the design has been updated to include a zipper.

Neither one removes the requirement for a tarp as the sock is breathable. It would work if a light sprinkle passed over, but I'd never rely on a sock for rain protection. That's not its job.

If you already have a pad from your non-hammock days, you could probably use an Under Quilt Protector from 2QZQ and be very close to the performance of the SuperShelter. The SuperShelter probably cinches up tighter to the bottom of the hammock and the silver/bubble material adds the dead air spacing. If you're trying to mimic that, you'd probably cinch the UQP tighter than usual - because they are often used with an Underquilt, not a pad. I think 2QZQ has a thicker bungee cord option for those who want a tighter fit and/or to put a pad in the UQP.

As with your thinking, I never used that middle part of the SuperShelter. This was when I was first starting out and I didn't know about Hammock Forum and I didn't know about under quilt protectors. I just used my old Therm-a-rest Guide between it and the hammock. Later, I learned about double layer hammocks, UQP's, UQ's and all kinds of other things to spend money on.

The Sock will give you more protection. If you are planning to mostly just use the bottom of the SuperShelter (you will probably still have to put something between it and the hammock), check out an underquilt protector.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    I was unimpressed with the SS. I bought an UQ and never looked back. Adds both wind protection but a lot more warmth without condensation issues of SS. Even a cheaper synthetic UQ might pack down smaller than the open-cell foam pad that came with SS.
    Last edited by Latherdome; 04-24-2019 at 20:31.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The sock is not insulation, but then again, the SuperShelter barely qualifies as such. I'd pass on both options and get an underquilt.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Oops - SilvrSurfr is right on both counts. I forgot to mention that you would still need a pad or an underquilt with the sock. And if you use a pad, you'll need it either in the hammock or between the layers if it is a double layer hammock - because the bottom of the sock will be too far from the bottom of the hammock. The most comfortable solution is the under quilt. You will still need a tarp for the rain and the only benefit of a sock is if you frequently camp were the winds are howling all around and you tarp doesn't have doors, or if you need a little extra warmth from your setup as you move from summer to fall (or fall to winter).

I use a sock because my home hang doesn't have a place to stake out a tarp and both the neighbor's window and a freeway style street lamp view down on my hammock. So it's mostly for privacy and shield from the street light.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 04-26-2019 at 13:00.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Images
    Hey, I was just hanging in my HHSS today. Nice warm temps. My back felt just a smidgin warm, but not warm enough to sweat. Nor was there any condensation, which would have really surprised me in these warm temps. Not tha I ever have any real problems with condensation in this system when using as designed, but even if I did, condensation occurs on cold surfaces. Sweat is a different matter.

They have also come out with a new breathable system, I think they call it "the insulated hammock". Also, consider the original HHSS included an optional water resistant, breathable over cover which makes it a sock, and adds about 15*F or so top warmth, more or less.

Anyway, the HHSS is an insulation system that includes either a sock, or just a waterproof, wind proof undercover with insulation from an open cell foam pad and space blanket combo. There are a very few of us here who really like them, though they are generally unpopular. But a few of us find them to be competitive with about anything, especially at the price.

For me, they are a 32F or so system, some do a bit better some(of those few that actually use them) not quite that low. But if you get the small size for an Expedition or Backpacker, the system weighs 16.7 oz(a few oz heavier for the larger Explorer system like I have). So if you only get 40F out of it, considering that it includes a wind proof under cover ( eqiv to the UQP that so many add to their down UQs), that is obviously at least somewhat competitive with the best full length down UQ for warmth to weight. Again, it is the only system to INCLUDE total wind protection(and water protection) when used with a small tarp or even no tarp. To have the same protection against wind chill, splash up or sideways rain with a down UQ, you will have to add the weight, bulk and expense of either a larger tarp with doors, or and UQP.

Also, the HHSS is inherently easy to boost the warmth of by simply adding any clothing that you will not sleep in down under the pad and space blanket. It is easy to add 10-20+ degrees F this way. You can add a huge amount of insulation by doing so. Search for an old thread by kwpapke on a MN trip with Shug where he stayed nice and warm and dry in his HHSS, with the small stock tarp, at minus 26F. My personal best was set in an HHSS, very warm and dry at a mere +6F. Not very cold by the standards of HF, but cold enough to kill me if I did not have some good insulation under me. I have often added clothing under the pad, but that night all I added was about 3 oz of extra pads they used to sell called "kidney and torso pads". I could have def gone below zero. These pads are probably not available any more, but I bet any OCF would work just fine. I did wear VB clothing which may have done even better than the SB alone, but RamblinRev once did 12F by adding just those kidney/torso pads, no VB clothing, and was at least warm enough.

This winter, I had the system hanging with no tarp under a porch, and a windy rain storm soaked the inside of the hammock and pad. I squeezed the pad out, and laid down and was warm. I don't remember the temp, it was not very cold, mayben40 or 50, plus a bit of wind. I was warm. I figured it was not doing very much, so I removed the system, and then my back was quickly ice cold, especially when the breeze blew. So even wet, there is some warmth in this system.

If you just want a sock, probably the WB is superior. But the HHSS is a lot more than just a sock.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I luv reading these old threads. So much info and good advice even today.

Hi BillyBob58 it is so nice seeing you back and posting again. I always enjoy your posts.
    Thank you for hanging around to help all the new members trying to get off the ground with the least amount of hassle and cost as possible.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Welcome to HF. I see you are in Alabama so BillyBob's guidance will most likely pertain to you more than us middle East coasters.

Both will block the wind well, keep the bugs from biting your backside, and allow for the use of smaller tarps. I prefer keeping my head/breath outside - keep this in mind when evaluating socks.

I have 2 socks/pods that I use with my gathered end hammocks during shoulder seasons (along with an 25F UQ).
    I have the smaller HH Backpacker UL Classic with a SS (and Top Cover for extreme cold) - this is my winter go-to set.

The one outstanding thing about the HH systems are that they just fit and work right out of the box and they are relatively inexpensive and lightweight (but a bit bulky and the close fitting bugnet bothers some as well as being a bit warmer than a fronkey style bugnet in the summer).

If you can wait for a sale, the SS is often on sale in the fall and mid winter for $100 free shipping - The Top Cover $20.

There are photos of the sock/pod I use in my gallery.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast