Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I luv reading these old threads. So much info and good advice even today.

Hi BillyBob58 it is so nice seeing you back and posting again. I always enjoy your posts.
    Thank you for hanging around to help all the new members trying to get off the ground with the least amount of hassle and cost as possible.
    HA! Thanks, O N B! I think you are right about some of these old threads! And in that old poll, mostly from 2012, but one from 2014, I think there is a lot of good info on the subject of the HHSS. It actually works great for far more than I would have ever thought. As of 2014, their had been 74 votes cast. 51% found it more than adequate for the weight, bulk and money, and they like it. So there are at least 37 of us out there! LOL!

64% said either "Condensation was manageable, and I was warm down to 40F with the basic system." OR lower than 40F. (23% were only good to 40F, the way I read it, but that ain't bad) 8% were warm below 20F with the basic system, which I find amazing. What I also find amazing is that ONLY 10% "warm well below 20F by adding unworn clothing or other insulation in the undercover", I would have thought at least 60%. And also that ONLY 34% found "the UC provides significant extra wind/rain/snow/fog protection, which is a big plus!". I would have thought 75% on that one.

But overall, it looks like plenty of folks have found it to be a useful system. Because after all, even down UQs have plenty of learning curve related problems, based on the # of threads over the years stating that. They can be great, but they can also be tricky!

Hammock
    Dutch Wide , WB Sock, BIASbuginato
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    BeetleB & K straps
    FWIW- I added a WB Winter Sock to my setup this winter, and love it. Setup it up under the WB Superfly I basically have a double walled tent, in the air! It truly creates a micro-climate. I have had no issue with condensation, but most my winter nights have been a bit breezy(that helps). You can unzip it to vent as needed. I leave my hammock including quilts in it, and pack the entire setup into my backpack. This makes for a super fast setup. Another PRO - If your UQ is not setup just right, it does not matter much as wind does not penetrate the sock, thus no loss of that warmed air trapped in your down.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabamahiker3322 View Post
    I am looking at adding some more wind protection for my Hennessy asym zip hammock. I am wondering the pros and cons in other people’s opinion. Wind protection and how much colder could you get temp wise with either the super shelter or the sock. Looking for any and all advice. I like that the super shelter is two parts of I want to use bottom only but don’t know if one is better than the other. I Have zero experience with either one.
    In addition to all the replies you have had, it occurred to me maybe- since you are an AL boy- I could just show you, let you get a "hands on" experience for the HHSS(or several other hammocks/insulation you might be interested in. But I just checked a map and sadly, you are on the "wrong" side of AL. You are over close to Birmingham. Which would not be a big deal for an overnight backpack or car camp in the Sipsey(about 1/2 way between Birm and Tupelo), but is probably a bit much just to check out a hammock or insulation system. But if you can't find anyone lose to Birm, and you are ever over this way, let me know and I will show you the system, or systems.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Loco Libre / JRB
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    I use a Dutch sock in the winter. I take the bugnet off by Blackbird XLC and use the sock for a temperature bump. I have always heard it gives you a 10* boost and I believe it. Condensation can be an issue if you don't get that mesh over your face. If you are looking for wind protection, you may want to look into a tarp with doors.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JacksRBetr 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB 20deg set
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Welcome Alabamahiker3322: I have the same hammock and use the SuperShelter. The undercover is silnylon and effectively windproof. With the stock diamond tarp staked down, I got about 95% wind reduction.The undercover fits tight enough to be pretty much mosquito proof, which might be an issue in Alabama.

I leave the undercover on unless it's 80+, when every bit of breeze and breathability is what I want. I find just the undercover alone comfortable down to 60 or so, when I add the thin foam pad (the reflectix like Doublebubble pad is a different system, and doesn't conform to your body all that well under the hammock.) Around 50 I add the space blanket (get a durable one from SOL). I've been warm and snug in that down to 40. At freezing it's survivable, but I'd really rather have a fleece blanket under me. I don't do much below freezing camping. It's also cheaper, and generally less bulky than an underquilt.

I don't get the condensation other's have reported, so the only real con is that it's specific to Hennesey hammocks. Don't get me wrong, I love my Expedition, but if I want to switch to a WBBB, I'll need new underneath insulation, too.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCPAT View Post
    Welcome Alabamahiker3322: I have the same hammock and use the SuperShelter. The undercover is silnylon and effectively windproof. With the stock diamond tarp staked down, I got about 95% wind reduction.The undercover fits tight enough to be pretty much mosquito proof, which might be an issue in Alabama.

I leave the undercover on unless it's 80+, when every bit of breeze and breathability is what I want. I find just the undercover alone comfortable down to 60 or so, when I add the thin foam pad (the reflectix like Doublebubble pad is a different system, and doesn't conform to your body all that well under the hammock.) Around 50 I add the space blanket (get a durable one from SOL). I've been warm and snug in that down to 40. At freezing it's survivable, but I'd really rather have a fleece blanket under me. I don't do much below freezing camping. It's also cheaper, and generally less bulky than an underquilt.

I don't get the condensation other's have reported, so the only real con is that it's specific to Hennesey hammocks. Don't get me wrong, I love my Expedition, but if I want to switch to a WBBB, I'll need new underneath insulation, too.
    Thanks for the report, JP! Yet another who finds the HHSS a fairly usable system! AND, yet another with no condensation problems! There are a fair number of us out there now. Maybe we should start a club?

I used my HHSS #2 for Explorer/Expedition sized HHs on my standard size WBBB, and it actually worked pretty good, seemed to fit OK. I also used it on my Claytor No Net, a 10ft by 4ft hammock, and though it was a little long( fixed with a simple mod), it worked like a charm. I think as long as the hammock is not significantly larger than the HH hammock the HHSS is meant to be used on, it will work.

I'm like you, I have found that when it gets down about freezing, that is about the limit for me with the standard HHSS( the UC, 1 pad and space blanket). But if you ever have any clothes you do not plan to sleep in, have you ever tried stuffing them down in the UC beneath the pad and space blanket? A fleece or down jacket can give a BIG boost! Really, anything available will add noticeable warmth, if you ever find yourself again near freezing.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    I was unimpressed with the SS. I bought an UQ and never looked back. Adds both wind protection but a lot more warmth without condensation issues of SS. Even a cheaper synthetic UQ might pack down smaller than the open-cell foam pad that came with SS.
    Ditto! Best thing I ever did from a hammock/camping perspective was to surrender to the downy goodness!

Images
    Here is the HHSS - pad and under cover - rolled up and placed back in it's original stuff sac. As you can see, t packs down pretty small, though I ordinarily have it in either a large compression dry sack along with a bunch of other stuff, r simply stuff into the pack with other stuff packed both below and above it. It compresses down nicely.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Ditto! Best thing I ever did from a hammock/camping perspective was to surrender to the downy goodness!
    Down is amazing. All our best material science and engineering can’t beat hundreds of millions of years of DNA (specifically the goose line) working out the best way to keep a body warm, light and breathable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12