Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I use a 1 piece DIY noseeum sleeve on my 12' silpoly winter tarp. It works really well when trying to manage that big tarp, especially in some wind.

Although others may have an issue with having room for the tarp sleeves once your tarp is deployed, I never have. The sleeve just sits at one end of my tarp and stays there until I need to put the tarp away.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I had to make 8 inch dogbones for the tarp ends in order to extend the connection point so the skin had a place to live when scrunched up.
    Begging your pardon, I'm trying to form a mental picture of this, and cannot (low processing power). Do you happen to have a picture of this?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Short Answer: Instead of the whole setup, just picture the suspension connection at the tarp ridge line. Don't know about others, but the Hennessy skins come to a narrow taper at the end. It is not easy to reach the tarp D-Ring (connection point) with the suspension line. So I made an 8 inch extension, or tail, attached to the tarp ridge line D-ring, that comes out the narrow end of the skin. That's the meat of it.

*Warning* Long answer: Imagine, if you will (cue Twilght Zone music) a tarp that on each ridge line connection point (D-Ring) has a mini-biner and a figure-9 on a split ring. Both ends are the same so I can start my setup at either end. For imagery, let's start on the left side. I connect my tarp suspension line to the mini-biner on the tarp. I run it around the left tree and back to the tarp. I run it though the left mini biner it is connected to. This creates the ice cream cone shape where the tree is the rounded ice cream and the V at the bottom of the cone is were the lines meet at the mini-biner. The line continues down the tarp ridge line and through the mini-biner on the right end of the tarp. It goes around the right tree and back to the right side, connecting to the figure-9 on the split ring. That creates the second ice cream cone; again, the tree is the rounded ice cream and the V at the cone bottom is where the line connects to the figure-9 on the split ring next to the mini-biner.

My line is on a kite winder so I just unwind as I go along. I used to use just split rings and not mini-diners (or only one on the start side), but it was a hassle having to feed the line through the split ring instead of just opening the mini-biner gate.

I like to have a split ring (or two) in the system because it is the first point of failure - instead of a torn tarp. This setup allows me to adjust the position of the tarp by just pulling it back or forth - just a little. No retying or sliding one end of the tarp, then the other (like required with prussics). I know that can "saw" the bark a bit but we are talking about armor plate bark, not paper thin bark. I am careful and do pay attention to the materials (bark and line).

This setup takes one line and I use a 50 ft hank (3mm) from REI. I would love to try one of the numerous setups that have separate lines on each end of the tarp, but in the PNW, we have big trees. Also, we have winter/snow. In the winter I run the ridge line under the tarp. When I calculate (with safety margin) the length of line I'd need, for the length of the tarp, distance from trees, diameter of trees, it usually comes within 10 or 15 ft of that 50 ft hank. So I have a little extra in case I need to cut some off for another use.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 04-24-2019 at 18:32.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I like a two-piece snakeskin. The air bubble is momentary and dissipates in seconds - not even worth thinking about.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I like the single. I've used both. I roll my tarp from one corner & slide the snakeskin on as I go.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    BB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie and LL TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I fiddled with two piece skins for awhile. Got the HG mesh sleeve and won't go back. It's just too convenient. All my tarps get the one piece treatment now.
    https://www.hammockgear.com/mesh-sleeve/

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle

Tarp sleeve (snake skin) dilemma

I've tried one-piece and two-piece sil, and one-piece and two-piece mesh. I landed on one-piece mesh as my preference, because:

*One-piece: it deploys and packs away fast. Walk from one end to the other, and you're done. No bubble. Sure, the bubble is nothing but a nuisance, and takes less than a minute to resolve... but it's a nuisance that comes without any associated benefit that I've found.
    *Mesh: breathable. If you've packed away a wet tarp, you know it's going to stay wet until you can pitch it in the dry. There's no way I know if to avoid that. So it's not that a mesh sleeve will solve that... but if you stow a wet tarp in a sil sleeve, the inside of the sleeve stays wet too, and to dry it you have to turn it inside out. With mesh, that's not necessary. And, sure, it'll allow a few inches along the width of your tarp to dry out once it stops raining.
    Conversely, if you sleeve your tarp dry, and it's on the outside of your pack or somewhere it's going to get wet: with sil it'll be kept dry, yes, but only until you set up in the wet. And with mesh, again, only a few inches of the tarp will get wet anyway. And if it's in a dry spot in your pack, the sleeve material matters even less... except that mesh is marginally lighter.

The only con I know of that mesh brings is that it's snaggy where sil is slippery.

HYOH

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Thunder fly
    Suspension
    Straps and buckles
    From the results of the input I have received, I order a Dutchware single sleeve. I have a short trip coming up next week on the AT and I'll let you know the outcome. Again, thanks for all the advice and input. It's a great help!!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Been down this road...

I have singles and doubles in noseeum and DCF.

The doubles tend to get the bubble in the middle and unless you add a Kam snap or the like they separate at the middle easily.

The singles are a breeze to install.. nothing negative to say about them.

I like the feel of the DCF skins. They aren't the slippery worm that noseeum can be so if you're one who likes their stuff tidy, even on the trail, and like to roll the tarp once the skin is deployed, the noseeum will be a bit challenging. It does a kind of squeeze and squirt as you attempt to wrangle it into a neat ball. That said, if you find yourself in the rain often, the DCF doesn't allow moisture to escape and needs to be turned inside out to dry.

Much chatter about whether the noseeum allows the tarp to dry better... IMHO.. No it doesn't. But the skin itself is faster to dry than the DCF..
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Much chatter about whether the noseeum allows the tarp to dry better... IMHO.. No it doesn't.
    I don’t think it’s a matter of your opinion; it’s a matter of fact. Mesh, sil, DCF, or nothing at all: if you roll up a wet tarp, it’s going to stay wet until it’s spread out to dry.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast