Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    SM has been very straight forward about the delivery delays due to the production company backing out, leaving them hanging, and having to resource the production. I have enough hammocks that although I am eager to give it a hang I want SM to know that I value Quality Control far above making a deadline.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Wide
    Insulation
    HG Econ Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I backed this kickstarter campaign, and I'm kind of already regretting it. I think they put a lot of effort into their marketing, by making slick videos with good looking people. Apparently this thing is delayed to August maybe. Also the technical details are really thin. I wish I had done more research into the company and the design before buying it sight unseen. I'll post a full review when I get it. After watching the video a few times, I noticed just odd things like how the adjustable ridgeline seems to be a strap instead of the more conventional amsteel ridgeline. I think this thing is going to be fairly heavy and bulky compared to what we can expect from the good cottage manufacturers. I'm pretty sure mine will only be used for car camping.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by sandblade View Post
    I wish I had done more research into the company and the design before buying it sight unseen.
    the company tends to actually produce the items they advertise at least

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sandblade View Post
    I backed this kickstarter campaign, and I'm kind of already regretting it. I think they put a lot of effort into their marketing, by making slick videos with good looking people. Apparently this thing is delayed to August maybe. Also the technical details are really thin. I wish I had done more research into the company and the design before buying it sight unseen. I'll post a full review when I get it. After watching the video a few times, I noticed just odd things like how the adjustable ridgeline seems to be a strap instead of the more conventional amsteel ridgeline. I think this thing is going to be fairly heavy and bulky compared to what we can expect from the good cottage manufacturers. I'm pretty sure mine will only be used for car camping.
    I backed it also, don't know what got into me, probably won't do such again. Even if the hammock turns out to be great, I don't think I will bother with a kick starter again. Of course, there is also the fact that the last thing I need is another hammock, great one or not. I have a hard enough time already choosing between several of my fav hammocks.

However, probably one reason I went with it is because I have 2 of their quilts. And, they are somewhat unique and over all quite excellent. Probably not exactly a bargain as far as what you are getting for your money, might be some other companies that beat them out a bit on that, I'm not certain. But the quality seems to be up there with the best, and, again, unique.

Both quilts are extremely light, and they both fit in a way- I think a good way- that is different from any one else. (This may be what made me curious to see if they could actually come up with a gathered end hammock that was unique) Unfortunately, I have never really been able to put either to the test at their rated temps or below. Always seem to be busy fooling with another product when those chances have come up. But, the UQ does seem to fit in a snug fashion all around with a design on the ends that almost seems pod like in a possible ability to prevent drafts from the ends. The TQ has a built in hood that is bomb proof for preventing drafts around the head and shoulder area. Or, skip the hood and simply have an absolute bomb proof neck/shoulder fit that can not be beat(rarely matched) for defeating drafts in that area. And, again, very light for the warmth(mine are the 30F rated models).

So I can speak for these products being quite competitive over all against the many other high quality products I have used over the years, and having a couple of features that no one else does. So, that made me curious about their claims for this hammock, and I went for the intro KS price. But, I didn't get those quilts through kick starter, I simply bought them from the company in the usual fashion. If I deal with them more in the future, I will probably simply buy an product already in production.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Fortress
    Insulation
    Too many to list
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Def an interesting design based on photos of it.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Perhaps it is just my age or life experiences that I've had the pleasure of enduring. Sometimes stuff just happens that is outside your control, no matter how much you squint and click your heels for it to be otherwise.

SM isn't the only cottage vendor to have had the proverbial carpet jerked out from under them at an inopportune time. Hammocktent had a somewhat similar circumstance, but fortunately didn't have a horde of impatient clients queued up and expecting the product to be delivered when given an ETA.

Personally, I not much into whining about circumstances beyond my control. Or about features that I was aware of when I made the commitment and/or have not even had the opportunity to test out before grousing about it. For example, when I saw the ridgeline I simply thought if I don't like it, I'll change it. In fact, I have not had a hammock that I have not modified into something more to my liking. That includes hammocks from WB, DH, Exped, and Hammocktent. IMHO, SM has been proactive about keeping folks informed regarding the problems and revised scheduling. Reckon I'll continue to patient, use the hammocks I have, modify the Ninox when it comes, and decide to keep or sell it in the future.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    Perhaps it is just my age or life experiences that I've had the pleasure of enduring. Sometimes stuff just happens that is outside your control, no matter how much you squint and click your heels for it to be otherwise.

SM isn't the only cottage vendor to have had the proverbial carpet jerked out from under them at an inopportune time. Hammocktent had a somewhat similar circumstance, but fortunately didn't have a horde of impatient clients queued up and expecting the product to be delivered when given an ETA.

Personally, I not much into whining about circumstances beyond my control. Or about features that I was aware of when I made the commitment and/or have not even had the opportunity to test out before grousing about it. For example, when I saw the ridgeline I simply thought if I don't like it, I'll change it. In fact, I have not had a hammock that I have not modified into something more to my liking. That includes hammocks from WB, DH, Exped, and Hammocktent. IMHO, SM has been proactive about keeping folks informed regarding the problems and revised scheduling. Reckon I'll continue to patient, use the hammocks I have, modify the Ninox when it comes, and decide to keep or sell it in the future.
    I agree that they have been very pro-active and stayed right on top of it. Also, it could happen to anyone, and I think I probably was about #4 or 5 to post at their FB page after they gave us the news about what had happened, and I said " disappointing, but no problems, stuff happens". So to make sure I am not being confusing, let me add: when I say I don't think I will do a KS again, it is not just due to the delay, it is simply I had already decided KS probably wasn't for me before the delay even happened. That's just me, some one else might get a "kick" out of it. And I'm certainly not saying I won't deal with SM again. AsI sai, their quilts are quite pleasing, and I get the idea that their customer service is excellent also. I also love the idea that one of their folks, Barry, constantly goes around to group hangs all over the country, including nearby(though I missed it), demonstrating their gear. I think that is great.

But most likely, I will wait for a developed product to be available for ordering, as I did with their quilts.

A thread on other SMR gear:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...reat-old-stuff

Images
    On the subject of SMR quality in general, there was also this thread where I was testing the SMR 30F TQ (18 oz with hood), in the mid 20s- low 30s, I was very pleased with the results. So, who knows about the Ninox hammock, but some of their stuff is top tier:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...18#post1968818

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPickl View Post
    snip...But the true test of any hammock is 2 am after a nature call. How quickly can I get back comfy, warm, and asleep.
    I've never heard it quite discribed this way but you know that is exactly how I feel about a new hammock. I look forward to seeing if this hammock makes the cut.

I am very interested in one of these. Does anyone have the latest on delivery? The KS update page is for backers only.

If anyone joined the KS and is having second thoughts, shoot me a PM I may buy it form you if the delivery works out in time for my trip in July.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast