Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I can understand your disappointment in the advertised weight discrepancies. Personally, when I ordered the Ninox my intent was for it to be used similar to my DH Sparrow, i.e. an all around backyard and truck camping hammock. I consider both the Sparrow and Ninox DLs to be more than I want to pack when I have other options. That is why I went with the DLs for both the Sparrow and Ninox. When I bolt forth into the mountains I look to my modified Hammocktent 90 degree or my single layer WBBB XLC. The Ninox should be here any day now. :-).

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    HummingbirdPelican
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 30
    Suspension
    SMR
    I have a DH Darien that is a fine, lightweight hammock. I bought it as a stopgap to use this hiking season when the Ninox was delayed for the entire spring/summer hiking season. Looks like I'll be using that hammock a bit more than I had planned. No loss there. I'm just disappointed that the Ninox didn't live up to it's billing as far as the actual product weight goes. I can live with the delays but 30% heavier than advertised is not cool.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Wide
    Insulation
    HG Econ Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I just got mine and my weights and opinions concur with akivisuals'. Overall the thing is huge. The packed volume is much bigger than I thought it would be. Debating if I should use it just for car camping or just give up on it all together. No reviews on sleeping yet, which is the actual true test of a hammock. If a hammock sleeps super well, you can forgive almost anything else. After using cottage built hammocks for so long, this hammock does feel sort of big brand-name well made (like if North Face or Marmot decided to make a hammock ) So it has heavy nylon stitching and webbing in places where a simple amsteel loop or knot would suffice. Build quality feels machine finished instead of hand sewn. Just got it so no use review yet.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I don't know if akvisuals or sandblade have DLs might considered trading for a SL model. This might provide enough weight reduction to better meet your goals. I personally went for a DL specifically for my intended uses, e.g. back yard and truck camping.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    HummingbirdPelican
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 30
    Suspension
    SMR
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    I don't know if akvisuals or sandblade have DLs might considered trading for a SL model. This might provide enough weight reduction to better meet your goals. I personally went for a DL specifically for my intended uses, e.g. back yard and truck camping.
    So, in a perfect world I'd have one hammock to rule them all. But right now I have 3 hammocks. Looks like the Ninox is probably going to be heavier than what I want to carry for a multi day backpacking trip. I'll carry it for an overnighter or car camping but multi day trips I'll probably bring the DH Darien. That hammock is just over a pound and is comfy. If the Ninox was 21.8 oz as advertised, I would've sucked it up and carried the extra 5 oz or so if it is truly as comfortable as claimed. (I still haven't spent the night in it yet) As it is, the Ninox is almost twice the weight of the Darien and bulkier. Not sure if it's THAT much more comfortable yet. Gotta do some real world testing.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Wide
    Insulation
    HG Econ Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I kind of wonder what the target market or intended user was for this hammock. It doesn't seem for backpackers. Yet a lot of time and attention to detail went into features all over this hammock. E.g. the tarp has reflective strips sewn in so that you can find your hammock at night. This is a nice feature, but it adds a lot of weight and stitching. Also each guy line for the tarp has it's own mini stuff suck pocket in the corner of the tarp with a velcro enclosure. This is a cool feature and keeps your lines from getting tangled, but adds a lot of weight and bulk. These details raise the cost and the weight of the hammock significantly. If I do keep this hammock, I'll probably take a seam ripper to it and cut out a lot of these doo dads.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    HummingbirdPelican
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 30
    Suspension
    SMR
    Well, originally the hammock was advertised at 21.8 oz. Not ultralight but light enough to where I'd carry it for the comfort. At 30 oz. I'll probably pass and carry my DH Darien. There are a lot of cool doodads on it and it's supposedly easy to set up but they failed miserably on the execution with projected measurements. 30% heavier is a bad miscalculation.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by akivisuals View Post
    So, in a perfect world I'd have one hammock to rule them all. But right now I have 3 hammocks. Looks like the Ninox is probably going to be heavier than what I want to carry for a multi day backpacking trip. I'll carry it for an overnighter or car camping but multi day trips I'll probably bring the DH Darien. That hammock is just over a pound and is comfy. If the Ninox was 21.8 oz as advertised, I would've sucked it up and carried the extra 5 oz or so if it is truly as comfortable as claimed. (I still haven't spent the night in it yet) As it is, the Ninox is almost twice the weight of the Darien and bulkier. Not sure if it's THAT much more comfortable yet. Gotta do some real world testing.
    I'm waiting for mine, supposed to arrive Monday. I am with you on the disappointment with the actual weight compared to the originally advertised weight. That is too much discrepancy, going by your numbers( I have no idea what the originally advertized weight was, I don't remember. But I do see that the current specs at the web site are:
    length 11 ft, 3"
    SL 28.5 oz
    DL 41.8 oz
    wt limits: tested 1600 lbs, safety 1000 lbs( that is a sign to me to expect a heavier hammock)

Is yours single or double layer? I assume single, since yours is 29.9 oz?

I am surprised at so much weight for a single layer, since I have the Inferno quilts and I have found them- especially the hooded TQ- to be truly UL for the insulation and draft blocking provided. But, the hammock is huge and with that weight rating of 1000 lbs, I guess it is going to be heavy. It is a lot heavier than my new 250 lb rated JRB bridge hammock even counting the poles.

But I am still looking forward to testing the comfort claims. I remain skeptical.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    HummingbirdPelican
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 30
    Suspension
    SMR
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I'm waiting for mine, supposed to arrive Monday. I am with you on the disappointment with the actual weight compared to the originally advertised weight. That is too much discrepancy, going by your numbers( I have no idea what the originally advertized weight was, I don't remember. But I do see that the current specs at the web site are:
    length 11 ft, 3"
    SL 28.5 oz
    DL 41.8 oz
    wt limits: tested 1600 lbs, safety 1000 lbs( that is a sign to me to expect a heavier hammock)

Is yours single or double layer? I assume single, since yours is 29.9 oz?

I am surprised at so much weight for a single layer, since I have the Inferno quilts and I have found them- especially the hooded TQ- to be truly UL for the insulation and draft blocking provided. But, the hammock is huge and with that weight rating of 1000 lbs, I guess it is going to be heavy. It is a lot heavier than my new 250 lb rated JRB bridge hammock even counting the poles.

But I am still looking forward to testing the comfort claims. I remain skeptical.
    Mine is a single layer and the 29.9 oz weight includes the smart storage and organizer. Without those it's very close to the 28.5 oz claimed weight. I'm looking forward to testing the comfort overnight as well. Wish my backyard had some suitable trees...

Hammock
    DW Chameleon 1.6 Wide
    Tarp
    HG CF3 WP+pole mod
    Insulation
    LL Habanero
    Suspension
    DW Beetle buckle
    I finally had a chance to try mine today, and I found that the Talon suspension has a tendency to undergo spontaneous disassembly whenever the buckle isn't under tension. I came very close to losing the metal inserts multiple times when setting up and adjusting my Ninox.

Additionally, I found that the carabiner's gate is somewhat small for the Ninox suspension and has some sharp corners that could rub the hammock's attachment points. (As the Ninox uses a sewn-in fabric loop instead of replaceable amsteel continuous loops, this is worrying.)

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast