Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Ninox Hammock?

Images
    It has also occurred to me that more than stretch(maybe), it is just that the hammock(like an HH Safari before it, but even more so) is hanginging so far below the RL. IOW, ther is a heck of a lot of sag built into tis hammock, which is sometimes related to comfort. In the past we had to learn to quit hanging our hammocks so dang tight, whether with structural RL or not, increasing the sag to increase comfort. And some of the hammocks that many considered more comfy had a greater distance underneath the RL,and more sag. Comparing a HH Saari to a Backpacker or Expedition, for example, the difference in distance beneath the RL and the hammock body was a lot. Also, often when there was no RL, we still corrected some comfort issues with more sag, which if there had been a RL would have meant more distance between the hammock and the RL. With this Ninox hammock, the distance between RL an hammock is so great, that if the the RL is not about near my height, I am going to be nearly on the ground. In the end, the comfort level will determine if it is all worth it.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-27-2019 at 20:20.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Wide
    Insulation
    HG Econ Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Good point BillyBob and I think you're 100% right about the sag/comfort correlation. When I hung the hammock, the ridgeline is right at eye level and I clear the ground by maybe 6-8". The ridgeline is a grosgrain nylon webbing, which is adjustable, but I have my ridgeline fully let out, I can't imagine how much more it would sag if I tightened the ridgeline. I'm looking at the promo video for the Ninox and the suspension is tied off somewhere impossibly high. If you notice all the hangs in the video are over a gully, stream, ravine, or some other natural depression. If you trace the angle of the straps, the actual tree hugging part is easily 8'-10' high.
    Last edited by sandblade; 08-27-2019 at 21:11.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post

Many of us have been complaining about the height of the RL. But for the claustrophobic among us: the upside is this is the roomiest hammock I have ever been in, with absolutely enormous clearance between my face and the net. Enough to, if desired, actually hang a gear hammock inside the hammock rather than under it(as one user has already done), and still have more head/net room than most hammocks. Obviously the size of this hammock, as well as it's rated strength, accounts for some of it's weight, which is 29 oz for a single layer. Extremely roomy with extreme net clearance = pros and cons, depending on what you like.

I won't really know until it is cool enough for me to sleep in, but comfort seems pretty excellent. I'm not sure this apparently very stretchy fabric does not also account for cushioning of pressure spots. I have either had zero calf ridge(now that amazed me, that is so rare for me in a GE hammock) or not enough to be an issue, and basically I can get rid of any by just repositioning slightly.
    The interior volume is huge in this thing! I can sit up with the bugnet fully zipped and not touch. I had my Warbonnet Eldorado DL out also and compared to the Ninox the Eldorado seems cramped. The bugnet is much much closer to my face on the Eldorado and using the tieout is practically mandatory with the Eldorado to keep the bugnet off my face. Entry and exit is fairly easy in the Ninox.

It is a very comfortable lay. I stated in an earlier post this is really the first gathered-end hammock I’ve tried where calf ridge is practically nonexistent!

Setup is very easy with the exception of having to really get the suspension up high. I’m up about 7 feet on trees that are 13 feet apart with the suspension. Compared to the Eldorado the Ninox is much less fussy about how it’s hung. It seems as if the two suspensions are about equal height with the Ninox you’re good. I tighten the suspension to what looks like 0-10 degrees without any weight in it, because it does increase the suspension angle
    when weighted.

Speaking of suspension, yes, the Talon is junk right now. Probably won’t use it. My latest suspension try was Beetles with a continuous loop hooked to the arms of the Beetles with a carabiner attached from the CL to the Ninox. Worked well.

One concern popped into my head about the ridgeline height is it could be a challenge to get a tarp over it.

Overall it’s not a bad hammock. If they could knock five or six ounces off it it would be really sweet!

Hammock
    Banshee / Chameleon
    Tarp
    TrailHeadz Topo
    Insulation
    CRO / JRB /TH
    Suspension
    Autumn Ultralight
    Sandblade, The ridgeline is sewn in a total of 4 places. at the end of the "Peak triangle" and again in about the middle of the gathered end channel. on both sides.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters.”
    ― Norman Maclean

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Photos anyone?
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBRR OR WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Superfly or WB CB
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, LLG, CDQ
    Suspension
    Becket, WB Buckles
    I was too underwhelmed to take pictures aside from the one feature I liked and that was the placement of the D-rings that work great for UQs. Mine is actually already heading back.

Adding a link to the gear demonstration videos I referenced in my previous post.

https://sierramadreresearch.com/page...bout-the-ninox

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by publicalias; 08-28-2019 at 18:25.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Wide
    Insulation
    HG Econ Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by publicalias View Post
    I was too underwhelmed to take pictures aside from the one feature I liked and that was the placement of the D-rings that work great for UQs. Mine is actually already heading back.

Were you able to successfully process a return with SMR? I emailed their customer support 2 days ago and haven't heard back. I'll be sending mine back if I can.

Hammock
    WBRR OR WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Superfly or WB CB
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, LLG, CDQ
    Suspension
    Becket, WB Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by sandblade View Post
    Were you able to successfully process a return with SMR? I emailed their customer support 2 days ago and haven't heard back. I'll be sending mine back if I can.
    I sent my email Friday morning and got a response on Tuesday early afternoon. The email required me to fill out an online form and it included a PDF copy of a return label. I’m now waiting on the package to be delivered on their end and the subsequent refund.

I’m assuming there customer service is very busy with all of the KickStarters, shipping of the new products and new product issues.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Wide
    Insulation
    HG Econ Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by publicalias View Post
    I sent my email Friday morning and got a response on Tuesday early afternoon. The email required me to fill out an online form and it included a PDF copy of a return label. I’m now waiting on the package to be delivered on their end and the subsequent refund.

I’m assuming there customer service is very busy with all of the KickStarters, shipping of the new products and new product issues.
    Good to know. Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm definitely sending mine back. There's just too much wrong with it for me to like what's right with it.

If anybody has just the hammock they are thinking about sending back, let me know. I may be interested in buying. I don't need suspension or anything else.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast