Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    It is Christmas eve and my kickstarter hammock arrived late this afternoon. It took so long because I was insistent on receiving the DL color scheme I ordered and not a substitute that was also offered. I took down my DH Sparrow that I've been sleeping and using as a substitute couch for months. I hung the Ninox on the same set up as the Sparrow, and whoa? Like folks have indicated it hangs a great deal lower than other hammocks. Undaunted I hoisted up the ends of my adjustable hammock rack, and then I hoisted it up some more, and then some more. At a twelve foot span determined by three sections of aluminum military camouflage netting poles the Ninox is now off the ground when I sit in it, but still much lower than practical. I thought about how high the tree savers would need to be if the span was greater than 12 to keep the hammock off the ground. It could be problematic, eh?

Undaunted, because I knew from some reviews there were concerns. However, since I have had to extend the ridge line in both the WBBB XLC and in the DH Sparrow to find my sweet spot, I thought surely I can remedy this too. However, the ridge line is NOT adjustable, contrary to what the kickstarter indicated. Still undaunted, I checked out the hammock ends think that perhaps I could undo the ridge line ribbon and utilize a ridge line adjustable whoopie like I have for the WBBB XLC and the Sparrow. Nope, not to be done. The ends of the ribbon are sewn to the beak at both ends. The only way to tag in an adjustable whoopie ridge line is to cut the ribbon. I would love to do this and progress with some serious experimenting because all in all I like the fabric and the lay is flat enough to encourage further experimentation. However, since cutting the ridge line means putting the kabosch on return eligibility, I am stymied. I will sleep in in tonight instead of the Sparrow just to give it a fair shot. But I am not overly optimistic. Some ideas just work out better than others and some designs are better suited for different folks, eh?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    It is Christmas eve and my kickstarter hammock arrived late this afternoon. It took so long because I was insistent on receiving the DL color scheme I ordered and not a substitute that was also offered. I took down my DH Sparrow that I've been sleeping and using as a substitute couch for months. I hung the Ninox on the same set up as the Sparrow, and whoa? Like folks have indicated it hangs a great deal lower than other hammocks. Undaunted I hoisted up the ends of my adjustable hammock rack, and then I hoisted it up some more, and then some more. At a twelve foot span determined by three sections of aluminum military camouflage netting poles the Ninox is now off the ground when I sit in it, but still much lower than practical. I thought about how high the tree savers would need to be if the span was greater than 12 to keep the hammock off the ground. It could be problematic, eh?

Undaunted, because I knew from some reviews there were concerns. However, since I have had to extend the ridge line in both the WBBB XLC and in the DH Sparrow to find my sweet spot, I thought surely I can remedy this too. However, the ridge line is NOT adjustable, contrary to what the kickstarter indicated. Still undaunted, I checked out the hammock ends think that perhaps I could undo the ridge line ribbon and utilize a ridge line adjustable whoopie like I have for the WBBB XLC and the Sparrow. Nope, not to be done. The ends of the ribbon are sewn to the beak at both ends. The only way to tag in an adjustable whoopie ridge line is to cut the ribbon. I would love to do this and progress with some serious experimenting because all in all I like the fabric and the lay is flat enough to encourage further experimentation. However, since cutting the ridge line means putting the kabosch on return eligibility, I am stymied. I will sleep in in tonight instead of the Sparrow just to give it a fair shot. But I am not overly optimistic. Some ideas just work out better than others and some designs are better suited for different folks, eh?
    Well, how did it go? I still have not slept in mine yet. (mine is a single layer and has the adjustable RL, which they did away with after a few people had issues) But, I can say at least a couple of things in it's favor. It has consistently rated at the very top of GE hammocks for lack of calf ridge and knee extension, for me. It has pretty much been without either problem for me so far. And during my short stints in it, it has been very comfy. Now whether all of that is worth all the other issues with it, such as weight and required hand height, remains an open question. But I won't really know until I sleep all night in it.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-25-2019 at 15:47.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Well, how did it go?...
    On the positive, I like the fabric as it seems stretch and softer than the Hex20 of the DH Sparrow. I can find a good flat lay on the tangent. However, as a caveat, since I had knee surgery on my right knee for a torn meniscus last spring I have resorted to using a bit of knee support, aka pillow. My knee isn't a 100% and probably never will be again, so naturally, I adjust and keep pushing on.

On the negative, I know I am probably different in the HYOH department as I have lengthened both the WBBB XLC and DH Sparrow in order to find my sweet spot. This means that the angle I like is shallower on the axis than most. To achieve this comfortably, I lengthen the ridge line. This has also meant some adjustments on the bug net/top cover. Both still fit on the WBBB XLC, but neither net or top fit on the DH Sparrow. That is fine with me as the DL Sparrow (and HT 90* Beta) fills the indoor or truck camping niche. The 90* Hammocktent(s) and the WBBB XLC SL are reserved for backpacking. I have thought seriously about sending my stretched Sparrow to Randy for a custom net, but it simply has not been a big priority. After mulling this all over, I packed up the Ninox and will be returning it tomorrow. I would love to find a disgruntled Ninox owner who wanted to part with theirs for dirt cheap, then I would experiment ;-)

A final observation. I also gave the workmanship on the Ninox a going over. Personally, I think the DH Sparrow sewing is a bit better than the Ninox. It might be that the more stretch Ninox material is more challenging to work with??? Nonetheless it appears that the beer swilling, cheese eating Bubba moms from the midwest did a better job than the teenage slave labor girls in the Chinese sweat shops. But don't tell Randy I said so

I would really like to cut out the Ninox ridge line and experiment with a whoopie ridge line. I think if I lengthened it I would be pleased with the results. I know for certain

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    HummingbirdPelican
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 30
    Suspension
    SMR
    I slept in mine and returned it. Turned out the lay didn't feel any flatter than my DH Darien. I get better sleep in the Darien. The main thing was the gross miscalculation in weight though. I expected something closer to what was advertised and it just didn't work out. Other details that bugged me were the lack of attention to detail like the mismatched colors of the blue D-rings to the color scheme of the hammock and the Talon with parts falling out. The idea and marketing sounded good but in the end it really seemed like more hype for the folks who don't hammock camp to begin with.

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789