Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Looking for feedback on possible new setup

Hello all,

I am hoping there will be someone around here who has tried one or two of the items I'm considering for a new 3 season hammock setup.

I am looking to get a slightly longer hammock than my current ones but also cut some weight from my backpack. Who likes to carry extra weight? :P

So what I'm considering is below.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07B898X...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0742QBT...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N9RLG...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I was actually able to locate a lighter bug net, but it wasn't noseeum mesh and I figure it's worth a couple of extra ounces to get better protection as I am not necessarily picky about where I camp, and mosquitoes and tiny biting flies are a common issue all around Cali. Some of the tiny biting flies IME can fit through your average everyday mosquito net.

This is the lightest hammock I can find at only 13.5oz including tree straps, the second lightest bug net, and the lightest tarp I can afford (the cost of dyneema is just not in my budget).

My calculations come in at a total of 41.5oz total which seems pretty light, and allows me to forego the tarp if I'm going when there is no rain in the forecast. My current summer setup with bug net is slightly heavier, and my 3 season setup is slightly heavier than that with the hammock alone weighing in a 1lb 5oz (no bug net) and a 2.2lb all-weather tarp if rain is in the forecast. Both of my existing hammocks are a bit on the short side for me as well, at around 7ft long (I am 5'6") and can get uncomfortable if I mess up the pitch even a little bit, with my head or feet getting a bit cramped.

What do you think?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I don't buy Amazon stuff - there's no reason to buy inferior quality when you can get better stuff from our cottage vendors.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I don't buy Amazon stuff - there's no reason to buy inferior quality when you can get better stuff from our cottage vendors.
    Wise Owl and Outdoor Vitals are both cottage vendors, and not everyone can afford to pay $200.00 for a higher end cottage vendor's hammock, not to mention the rest of the setup. Not to mention the hammock I listed is lighter than any other hammock I've been able to find, even at high end outdoor outfitters and cottage vendors.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Juney, welcome to HammockForums!

It's been my experience that most of the Amazon stuff turns out to be replaced once you get deeper into Hammocking

The hammock you linked to is incredibly small.. unless I am reading it wrong it's 9' long by 4.5' wide. I would be crippled after trying to sleep in that. The generally accepted length for a comfortable lay is 10' and about 5' wide. My preference (same for many others) is 11' by 5' wide. You'll want to add a structural ridgeline to that hammock as well. Also the webbing on the ends leave you limited as to which suspensions you can use. Trust me, you'll wnat to try a few. Consider one of the netless hammocks from Dutchwaregear.com.. These are the real deal.

One of the 'rules of the road' for just about anything backpacking is keep it simple and the bugnet you chose is not simple. If you opt for one of Dutch's hammocks I am prettu sure they include a structural ridge line which would double as the support for your bug net. Add one of Dutch's bugnets for a few dollars more, but know that the net and hammock will work well together well and will be made by a US team that specializes in hammocks...

No comment on that tarp...

What you have sourced on Amazon are what I would respectfully call entry level, feeble attempts.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Juney View Post
    Wise Owl and Outdoor Vitals are both cottage vendors, and not everyone can afford to pay $200.00 for a higher end cottage vendor's hammock, not to mention the rest of the setup. Not to mention the hammock I listed is lighter than any other hammock I've been able to find, even at high end outdoor outfitters and cottage vendors.
    I have no experience with that vendor.. but I there are too many 'show stoppers' for me to be comfortable with it.

In the end it's your money, but you posted here asking for opinions from folks who generally hammock camp a whole lot. Don't dismiss it so quickly.

As far as the weight.. that actually heavy given how small the hammock is. I just made a Monolite 11'r that weighs exactly 8 oz with SRL, Dynaglide CL's, side pull outs, a peak loft and all in a DCF stuff sack.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Thanks Mike!

The problem that I find with integrated bug nets is that it's just about impossible to use a hammock compatible sleeping bag with them. I guess if I wanted to switch it up to a top/underquilt combo that would be an option but the weight of an underquilt isn't something I particularly want to lug around with me when I'm out and about. Most of the topquilts I see weigh just about as much as a full sleeping bag of comparable value by themselves, which would be fine in summer, but when it gets cold, that underquilt portion would be missed, don't you think? Heck when I tried summer in the Sierra without an underquilt it was still way too cold.

For the record, I do love Dutch's gear, have some, and will probably continue to get more as time goes by.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

dutch was offering a kit for new hangers for a crazy good price. let me see of I can find that link...

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Juney View Post
    Outdoor Vitals, Live Infinitely and Wise Owl are cottage vendors? I don't think so - they're Amazon vendors. It's Chinese-made stuff.

As for Outdoor Vitals, I've watched a lot of their videos - they really don't know anything about hammocks. I didn't even bother to check out the specs (and won't) on that tarp.

That Wise Owl hammock? It is an ENO clone - 9 ft. long by 4.5 feet wide. I hope you're not over 5'6" tall, or that hammock will be very uncomfortable. The minimum width I ever tried was 55 inches, and that wasn't wide enough for me (5'11").

The Live Infinitely bugnet (try finding an HF review on a Live Infinitely bugnet, or Live Infinitely anything), is minimum 12.8 ounces, but could be more. They don't list weight on their website. I'd guess it's closer to 16 ounces.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/complete-intro-package/

here's the link to the Dutchwaregear intro package. 1161 grams or 41 oz.
    Last edited by Dlrocm; 04-23-2019 at 18:57.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

I'm going to give the nod to silver surfer and agree that outdoor vitals isnt a cottage vendor. I feel like cottage vendor and made in the USA go hand in hand. pretty sure outdoor vitals isnt made in the USA

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast