Warbonnet Ridgerunner Bridge
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Lynx, hangtight
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Managing Hammock Camping Expectations.

Getting.. worried..My first hammock hang ever was last September in Maine. It was a mixed bag - not a particularly good night but the weather was unusually nice (meaning warm and sunny), and the company was great.

This weekend hubby and I heading up to Maine again. On the good side, we are meeting up with some of the great folks we met last year, and are really looking forward to that.

On the other hand..
    • I am sleeping first time in a completely new (bridge) hammock setup,
    • weather looks.. iffy... it's going to be down as low as low 30s...and threat (greater or less) of rain all weekend,
    • and my back and overall well being is not at it's best this week.

I've got good equipment for warmth and received encouragement here that I'm well prepared.. but I'm just not sure I'm ready for this kind of cold and weather experience.

Up until now, we are what you'd call "fairweather campers". My husband is tent camping, and hasn't really put much thought at all into it (though I'll be packing extra warmth for him). I worry he's going to be much colder than he expects even being in his comfort zone (a tent).

Am I really cut out for this? Am I the only one who has felt this way?
    Have you started out really worried and been pleasantly surprised?
    What do you all do to manage expectations without ruining the excitement of a new experience?
    ~~~NJHEART2HEART Dawn~~~
    "Seek God, Embrace the Journey, Leave a Legacy of Love"

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Only you can answer the question of are you ready for this. It's always good to backyard test your equipment and test your temp ranges. The good thing is you'll most likely not die from exposure but you may be very uncomfortable if you do not take enough insulation. I assume you are car camping so there's no excuse to not have enough warmth. If you are that worried it may be your subconscious telling you that you are not ready/prepared for this adventure.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Car camping?

Bring a bunch of extra insulation, a thin CCF mat to augment UQ, and spare dry clothing and don't worry about it. Maybe even a tent (if hubby's is not large enough to accommodate the 2 of you) and air mat backup.

Seriously, don't worry... this is easy-peasy stuff and afterwards the only thing you'll regret is all the unnecessary worry beforehand!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    Plan on more insulation then you think you'll need. A bridge isnt as warm as a regular hammock, and dampness makes it feel just that much colder.

Otherwise, get familiar with your new hammock in the mean time and have fun.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Don't let worry mar the trip.
    You could be home doing chores.
    But you are camping.
    Enjoy.
    Go with the flow.
    Expect some mistakes.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Seriously, don't worry... this is easy-peasy stuff and afterwards the only thing you'll regret is all the unnecessary worry beforehand!
    I can attest to this. I am too much of a worrier, over-thinker, etc. But I'm working on it

Some worrying is fine to make sure you're prepared and staying safe. But after a point it just puts a strain on the trip. Take all the gear you know you need. Take a little extra. But don't go overboard; keep it simple. Comfort food and snacks for those possible cool and rainy days. The most important is being comfortable at night. I hope the hammock works out for you. At least try to get a nap in it before you go; an overnight at home would be better for a good test if possible.

I'm planning my first 5, 6, 7? night trip starting next weekend. Not exactly sure where I'm even going or what my plans are, so there's some anxiety going on as usual.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Lynx, hangtight
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Car camping?

Bring a bunch of extra insulation, a thin CCF mat to augment UQ, and spare dry clothing and don't worry about it. Maybe even a tent (if hubby's is not large enough to accommodate the 2 of you) and air mat backup.

Thanks Cmoulder Yep, we are car camping, and I'm hauling plenty of extra warm stuff. And the tent hubby is in is MY tent, and there's room for both of us as a backup for me in my hammock.

Winds up my mom, whom we visited this past weekend became sick during our visit (after hugs and kisses greetings!) and both Ted and I seem to have persistent itch throats today. We are both hoping and praying it's just touch of allergies since we are in the height of tree pollen season here in NJ. Neither of us have heavy allergies, but I think both of us do get a little, so we're hoping that's all this is, and NOT mom's germs...germinating!
    <as I sneeze out my ending!>
    ~~~NJHEART2HEART Dawn~~~

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Lynx, hangtight
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Don't let worry mar the trip.
    You could be home doing chores.
    But you are camping.
    Enjoy.
    Go with the flow.
    Expect some mistakes.
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Thanks Shug! and hey, we're driving away from NJ and into Maine.. so that's a GREAT thing!

We are taking steps to move that way and I should look at this as a great opportunity to test how to make the cold my friend! (no bugs, right?)
    ~~~NJHEART2HEART Dawn~~~

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Lynx, hangtight
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I can attest to this. I am too much of a worrier, over-thinker, etc. But I'm working on it

Some worrying is fine to make sure you're prepared and staying safe. But after a point it just puts a strain on the trip. Take all the gear you know you need. Take a little extra. But don't go overboard; keep it simple. Comfort food and snacks for those possible cool and rainy days. The most important is being comfortable at night. I hope the hammock works out for you. At least try to get a nap in it before you go; an overnight at home would be better for a good test if possible.

I'm planning my first 5, 6, 7? night trip starting next weekend. Not exactly sure where I'm even going or what my plans are, so there's some anxiety going on as usual.
    Thanks for the encouragement Yay for you! Have a GREAT trip!!
    ~~~NJHEART2HEART Dawn~~~

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Web-cinch buckles
    Looking at your previous post, you have Zero degree UQ and a 20 degree TQ so you should be fine at 30 degrees or so. I use a Bear Mountain Bridge and I have never been cold, except my nose. I recommend bringing some kind of balaclava for your face. As far as back pain, I sleep in my bridge at the house because it prevents back pain.

You will be fine. I wish I had some 30 degree weather to camp in. The heat has arrived in my area.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast