Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing + knots

Designing an easy-deploy, multi-hammock car camping system (no trees)

Need some input from other minds on this idea... I want to create an easily-deployed hanging system for our camping vehicle that I can set up regardless of 1) tree availability and 2) soft ground for staking out a tarp. The goal is to have a system where I can support myself and my wife, or myself and two kids (in 2 or 3 hammocks, respectively) fanned out between our Land Cruiser (head end) and a tripod (foot end).

My current thought is that there would be two long metal pole supports in a 'V' that would go between the truck's roof rack area and the tripod (ala the turtledog stand). This would accomplish a few things, in theory... It would provide a strong, triangular structure so that whether one person hangs on one side or two people of different weights hang on both sides, the structure would remain rigid. It would also allow for quick deployment of a triangular awning over the 'V', to which side panels could be zipped when needed for rain/wind. These side panels could also attach to the vehicle+tripod if stakeout wasn't possible, but I'd need to ensure that the overall frame would be heavy enough to keep them from becoming a giant sail in high wind.

I'm still trying to solve a couple things. To keep the length of this at a reasonable size (15 feet or less), the head ends of my hammocks need to connect at a point of the truck lower than the roof, so I probably can't connect them in the typical turtledog style. So, if the hammocks connect to the truck pillars, the truck takes that weight, but the poles will then be taking shear force from the tripod end, and shear force isn't great for roof racks. I guess I could build some kind of bracket that would attach to the doorjams like Yakima/Thule clips do, but I'm not sure. I'm also not positive that connecting to the truck's pillars is the most elegant solution. Maybe you all have better ideas... or you can critique the overall idea.

Thanks, and happy hanging!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Chameleon 2.4
    Tarp
    WB Mini/Super Flys
    Insulation
    LL Reaper&WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Beetle/Dyneema/15'
    Be careful not to be on the downhill side. I'm not a mechanical engineer but I know there is significant force involved in hammocking and multiple people may be enough to tip the truck.

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing + knots
    Certainly a good consideration. I figure the max forces on the truck would be 350-400 lbs (at rest), which would be similar to two adults sitting on that side of the truck, which weighs around 5k lbs. If I could figure a way to put the head end weight on the middle of the vehicle as opposed to the side, that’d be quite stable, but perhaps not necessary. I also wonder if some of the shear force from the poles would serve to stabilize the truck further, effectively applying a constant ‘push’ to its top.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Design it to have the hammocks hang like from a turtledog -- that is, they attach to the horizontal poles rather than directly to the truck or tripod. That way the force of the weight is all downward (with appropriate hang angles).

I understand why you can't hang from the poles a la turtle dog if you need to keep the poles short, but you don't necessarily have to keep them short. Just make them two-piece! Depending on the rigidity of the structure, you may be able to get by with a bipod rather than a tripod.

Hammock
    10' SFOC
    I think an all in one system that connects to the thule bars would be the way to go. Have the tripod fold up into the arms and then the arms cross and close. If you could enclose it above the vehicle, where you're sure it wouldn't come undone during the drive, then it would be easy to deploy on the go. Have a systematic way to put the tarp over it all and down the sides and it would even make a nice awning area when you're just taking a break.

I think Van Dwellers would be really into this idea.
    Chris Siebenaler
    Sloth and Fox Outdoor Company
    Amazon
    Facebook
    Instagram
    Website

Hey there JCase, here is a raw but usable roof top mobile fixture of a hammock stand for those treeless occasions!

Basically the main attachment points or fixtures has been attached too the the roof racks as the first stage, and the load weight is taken up by the uprights at either end!

I am only too happy to share what l can if there is something you can use here, be my guest! Happy days!

IMG_3073.jpgIMG_3077.jpgIMG_3089.jpg

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing + knots
    Hey, thanks everyone for your feedback and contributions so far! I have acquired the materials to perform a beta test of my idea (ie, low weights just to test angles, etc). I’ll upload some pics when I get it all set up - maybe tomorrow!

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing + knots
    Tried this out tonight - I still need to make some adjustments and identify the best hammock attachment points on the truck, but I’m pleased with the weight distribution and rigidity of the stand system. Even at 16 feet long, the poles don’t flex, and there’s actually very little shear weight pressing against my Thule bars... My 50 lb kid got in after I did a safety-sit-test with most of my weight, and with her inside one hammock, I could pretty easily shift the pipe around where it slides over the roof bar. Essentially the aluminum pipes run over the roof bars and rest against the bars’ metal support towers. I’ll need to drill some bolt holes to keep everything locked in place, but so far the system seems viable. More to come!

A2AA292A-9E95-4732-BFCC-E74E21324F82.jpgA2AA292A-9E95-4732-BFCC-E74E21324F82.jpg

• + New Posts