Tarp
    DD Superlight
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Explorer Deluxe XL

Hi ya!

So, I ordered Jungle Expedition to extend my hammock family and it is on its way. Do you guys have any experiences / tips about it? This is my first hammock from Hennessy.

I plan to change the suspension right away (I don’t like knots or lashes) to either dyneema dog bones – I already have a ridgeline I made, which ended up being too short, a small calculation mistake… So I’ll cut that in half - or whoopie slings. I've watched a couple of tutorials how to do this, so I'm good on this matter.

About insulation:

I have a DD underblanket which probably needs some fiddling before it fits HH (Any ideas?), but I also have a Thermarest Ridgerest Classic Large (196 x 63 cm / 77 x 25 inches). Will that pad fit in? It’s longer but a bit less wider than HH’s Double Bubble pad. It probably won't cover my shoulders alone anyway, so it might need some "wings" on it.

Aaaaand about HH tree huggers:

How durable these things are? Can just one loop hold my precious body? While the other end goes around the tree, obviously...

Thanks for all the answers!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Go on dutchware, get a set of beetle buckles with 15’ straps. And depending on if the expedition has round ends with holes, or the flat style gathered ends, get either an 8 or a 15” continuous loop to attach to the hammock. 8”for flat/ 15”for round. You’ll hook the beetles right to those. The beetle buckle system is the best I’ve tried yet. Light , strong , and super easy to adjust. Good luck. Nice hammock. I have the deep jungle xl. And really like that hammock. It’s on its way home right now from 2qzq. It got a mod#4 . Post pics when ya get it all set up

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    My HH is my "go to" for most of my overnight trips. Since I base camp and don't need to be overly concerned about weight, I tied off a figure 8 in the ropes, and use a carabiner in Dutch Spider webbing. Both of mine have the Mod 4 from 2QZQ as they are the classic (bottom entry).

As mine are classic entry which I use because of a disability, I use the Jacks R Better The Nest as it is a prefect match up to the bottom opening. The Nest also fits all my other gathered end hammocks just fine.

Hope you enjoy your HH as much as I do mine.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    DD Superlight
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks guys! I looked into that Mod 4 from 2qzq and it looks like a great idea! Too bad I'm not that good with sewing and sending the hammock to US would probably double the price I already paid. :P I'll look into those beetle buckles tho.

I already did the dog bones. They're long! Probably twice the size than what's needed. Well, I could use just them for shorter hangs. The weight of the whole set with dog bones, whoopie slings and carabiners is 63 grams (2.22oz), I bet it's a bit lighter than HH's ropes.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    DD Superlight
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    A little update:

As apparently Visa Electron doesn't work as Visa after all - my payment didn't go all the way to Hennessy - I had time to rethink my choice. I switched to Explorer Deluxe XL which lacks the double layer (I didn't really need it.) and sadly it's a bit heavier but at least it's roomier and more durable!

So I paid with Paypal and everything worked like charm! Now my new hammock is on the way, it should arrive in May 6th. I really can't wait... I really missed it this weekend on my first hike of this year.

EDIT: Darn, I can't edit the title, if a mod could edit it for me? Just add (now Explorer Deluxe XL) if possible, thanks!

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Edited title to Explorer Deluxe XL
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Quote Originally Posted by Dethroned View Post

Do you guys have any experiences / tips about it? This is my first hammock from Hennessy.
    I bought my Expedition in 2014. At present it lives with my daughter in Arizona. I found it very well put together, tough and durable. My assumption would be that the Explorer is similarly well made. There's nothing wrong with the stock ropes and I used mine that way more than a year before switching out to whoopie slings. Had I known more about knots at the time I probably wouldn't have bothered to switch out the rope suspension. 2QZQ did a Mod #2 on mine, which was well worth it and totally changed the experience of the "classic" bottom entry only to a regular hammock with a zippered net.

Here's a couple of links to videos featuring the Exped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gMvbUf_m3s&t=1s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gMvbUf_m3s&t=1s
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Images
    A little update:

As apparently Visa Electron doesn't work as Visa after all - my payment didn't go all the way to Hennessy - I had time to rethink my choice. I switched to Explorer Deluxe XL which lacks the double layer (I didn't really need it.) and sadly it's a bit heavier but at least it's roomier and more durable!

So I paid with Paypal and everything worked like charm! Now my new hammock is on the way, it should arrive in May 6th. I really can't wait... I really missed it this weekend on my first hike of this year.

EDIT: Darn, I can't edit the title, if a mod could edit it for me? Just add (now Explorer Deluxe XL) if possible, thanks!
    Well, if you plan on using a pad in the hammock, you may wish you had stuck with the double layer. But no worries: if you are going to use a pad inside a gathered end hammock, you might be batter off with a segmented pad extender ( SPE ) any way.

I have been using an Explorer UL since I started. I have owned about 3, sold at least one, and still have my original that got me started in Sept 2006, it is still usable but I do wonder when it will dump me, so I tend to hang low in that one! The HH Explorer UL is still one of my top rated hammocks(and I have had a bunch), especially as I like to use it with the HH Super Shelter (HHSS) insulation system.

If I lay with foot end higher, head a good bit closer to the head end than the feet are to the foot end, left shoulder against or near the zipper, feet right(doesn't have to be exactly like that, but that seems to work pretty consistent), and NOT TOO much diagonal, I generally have little to no calf pressure, compared to most other GEs. Seems to be one of the better ones for that. But these days if any of them give me trouble, I just cure it with a fat knee pillow.

Also, this forms a nice ledge near the zipper when I turn to my right side down in fetal, my back and shoulders near the zipper. This ledge serves as a nice pillow for my head(don't need one on my back). Comfort in that position can not really be beat in any hammock I have tried, even if side sleeping with legs straight can be sometimes beat. But the fetal can't be beat.

On 2 different week long trips in Sept of 06 and then 08, I fell in love with the profound deep wilderness sleep that can be had in a hammock, and that happened in an HH Explorer UL enclosed in an HHSS. I was warm, dry and comfy, with lows in the 20s-40s, sometimes windy and/or rainy. My camp mates had to wake me up to get going every morning, I wanted to sleep in and their noise in camp dis not wake me up! May your Explorer do the same for you! If not, there are other hammocks to try! ( ask me how I know! )

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    DD Superlight
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Well, if you plan on using a pad in the hammock, you may wish you had stuck with the double layer. But no worries: if you are going to use a pad inside a gathered end hammock, you might be batter off with a segmented pad extender ( SPE ) any way.
    Actually, I have an idea about this. I have a thermal poncho called Swagman Roll by Helikon-tex, as it can be turned into a sleeping bag (and as an underquilt as well!), I fit the sleeping pad in it and attach it to the hammock from its bungee cords. During the colder seasons I'll sleep on it with a topquit and in summer I'll sleep in it - without the bungee cords.

And how I envy you people! I'd LOVE to have a mod from 2QZQ! But the thing I'd have to pay shipping to US and back, taxes (VAT here in Finland is 24%) and customs. Every time you guys mention them it is salt in my open wounds of my hammocker's soul.

Images
    Actually, I have an idea about this. I have a thermal poncho called Swagman Roll by Helikon-tex, as it can be turned into a sleeping bag (and as an underquilt as well!), I fit the sleeping pad in it and attach it to the hammock from its bungee cords. During the colder seasons I'll sleep on it with a topquit and in summer I'll sleep in it - without the bungee cords.

And how I envy you people! I'd LOVE to have a mod from 2QZQ! But the thing I'd have to pay shipping to US and back, taxes (VAT here in Finland is 24%) and customs. Every time you guys mention them it is salt in my open wounds of my hammocker's soul.
    Is your Explorer a classic bottom entry model, or a zip model?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast