Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Straps Vs Amsteel for Suspention (Weight Savings)

I have been hanging now for two years and I am addicted. Up until now most of my camping has been on a motorcycle and weight was not a concern. I have been using 1" polyester webbing that I bought from RSBR that weighs 6 grams per foot and I see Amsteel weighs 1.36 grams per foot . Right now I made my straps are 12 feet long cut from the 25 foot piece I bought.

Now that I am thinking about hiking the Superior hiking trail and starting to weigh things I notice my straps and toggles weigh 6.3 OZs

Is there a reason not to have 6 foot straps and long whoopee slings ?

Is there a solution I should look into ?

Thanks

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Shorter tree straps and normal length woopies would work fine for you. Many folks hang that way. Long straps are common with cinch buckle based suspension systems but many folks that use whoopies go with 4-8 foot straps....just depends on the size of trees you regularly need to get around. You certainly could save a few ounces.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I have 6' kelvar straps and 6' Dynaglide whoopies attached to hammock continuous loops with Dutch whoopie hooks. That's the only hardware involved. A stick serves as a Marlin spike. I weigh just shy of 200 #.
    I do carry a 4' dogbone of Dynaglide, used to hang my gravity filter or extend my suspension, which happened only once.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I have a pair of the 12' white UHMWPE straps (dyneema)- with Evo Loops on the ends for quick connect/disconnect to the tree. The entire suspension weighs a shade over 2oz. Connect to hammock with a Becket Hitch.

I tried whoopies for a little while but found them too fiddly while trying to adjust. The Amsteel would never slide smoothly around the toggle.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    It’s all your personal choices
    Most of us have used more than one type of suspension.
    I like lightweight strap and modified becket hitch at continuous loop at hammock—no amsteel except continuous loop!
    Others like straps with buckles.
    With a small co$t you can try different suspensions to see which you like.
    And if you try a new suspension and later decide you like the another one better—that’s ok2
    Knots are lighter, less bulky, less costly, more fiddly and can fail especially if tied and tightened wrong!
    Straps and buckles—hardware are heavier, bulkier, and co$t more—but way faster and less likely to fail especially for those first learning. And less likely to jam especially in cold frozen precipitation weather.
    Whoopie slings are lightweight and plain fun even though some study and care are required
    Moreso for UCR utility constrictor ropes
    Good luck and have fun out there

Hammock
    SLD 10' MTN 1.2
    Tarp
    HG Standard DCF
    Insulation
    Enigma/Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    Just got back from a hike using Kevlar/Amsteel/J-Bend suspension. It worked okay, but noticed it was taking longer than normal to take hammock down & break camp. Some mornings, not an issue, but as a generality, there is a fiddle factor that is problematic.

Next hike will be 12' Kevlar/J-Bend or some other knot to see if that speeds up the process. YMMV

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Your proposed set-up will certainly work. As noted, it's more about the size of trees you need to get around. I'm not sure I could make my current tree huggers work back in the Pacific NW, but I'm fine with 6' tree huggers and 6' whoopies around the NE and SE so far. I also carry a couple of dogbones for just in case lengthening, but more often than not, I need less length than I currently have. I've never used the dogbones but they weight so little so I don't mind.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY UCR-LoopDLoop
    I've been using 6' tree huggers and 6' UCRs from day 1. The only time I had an issue was when the trees were a little too close together, and I had to swap out one UCR for a short dogbone.

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    Webbing is easier to work with, even the super thin uhmwpe webbing. Webbing (any webbing) holds hitches better too.

I recently weighed my suspensions and the warbonnet webbing was actually lighter vs my amsteel by a slim margine, although my amsteel rig is about 3' longer.
    It's close enough to just go with webbing for me.

Hammock
    diy MTN series
    Tarp
    diy winterhex/asym
    Insulation
    EE and HG
    Suspension
    Beckett or buckles
    I have hiked sections of the SHT using whoopies and using cinch buckles. Recently switched to UL webbing and becket hitch. Most sites are hammock friendly but I sometimes felt limited with straps and whoopies as short distance hangs are common.

I haven't weighed anything but I love the small pack size of UL webbing. That for sure can't be beat, IMHO.
    People tend to compartmentalize themselves into IT people, and movie star people, and scientists, but when we share our perspectives about nature, we find a common denominator.
    -Nalini Nadkarni

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast