CAMO DIY
    Tarp
    Sil Poly cammo DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Webbing

HENNESSY FOLD

I was looking at how my Hennessy Expedition is gathered and it has a very neat fold.

I'm thinking of replicating in a diy version, is there any info on this forum?
    The folding does not look like a regular ' W' type

I have looked but cannot see anything that shows exactly how it's done.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    well.........I exactly copied the Hennessy folded end including punching through the holes for the rope. About the third time I got into it, it snapped clean apart, in an instant at one end, about 10" in. Just a pop, no tearing, no warning, just dropped me on the floor. Clean break. The fabric I made the hammock out of came on its original roll, from a military surplus store. It was the digital camo PU nylon, with a slight 'ambient reflective' quality to it. It was not a cheap knock off imatation, it was the real genuine stuff.

The whole thing was a complete loss. I probably have pictures somewhere, but am not going to take the time to find them. I posted the incident on HF in reply to another members thresd, but that too would take some time to dig up, it was a few years ago.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Yes, it has been covered in at least one thread: My Take On DIY Hennessy Hammock. A Tutorial.
    Here are the pictures of wilsonbmw

It looks complicated but is actually fairly easy to do. I like the fold and have done it to a couple of my DIY hammocks. In my opinion it works better on a somewhat wider fabric.

By the way: it works just as well if you simply wrap the ends with a cord. No need to punch holes through the fabric. I think Hennessy only did it that way (they don't do it anymore) to save costs.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by psyculman View Post
    well.........I exactly copied the Hennessy folded end including punching through the holes for the rope. About the third time I got into it, it snapped clean apart, in an instant at one end, about 10" in. Just a pop, no tearing, no warning, just dropped me on the floor. Clean break. The fabric I made the hammock out of came on its original roll, from a military surplus store. It was the digital camo PU nylon, with a slight 'ambient reflective' quality to it. It was not a cheap knock off imatation, it was the real genuine stuff.

The whole thing was a complete loss. I probably have pictures somewhere, but am not going to take the time to find them. I posted the incident on HF in reply to another members thresd, but that too would take some time to dig up, it was a few years ago.
    I tried to duplicate it many years ago to build a netless HH for a winter cocoon set or indoor use - I failed and gave up trying to DIY a HH. I still enjoy using my stock HH. My view is that the HH is just magic and works best if kept stock. If I ever decide to go netless on a HH I would go to the pros and get a 2QZQ mod.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    I tried to duplicate it many years ago to build a netless HH for a winter cocoon set or indoor use - I failed and gave up trying to DIY a HH. I still enjoy using my stock HH. My view is that the HH is just magic and works best if kept stock. If I ever decide to go netless on a HH I would go to the pros and get a 2QZQ mod.
    Strange - I found the fold fairly easy to replicate. But if you want a netless Hennessy without DIY, you could just order a Leaf Lounger XL. It's a bit narrower than I would like and the fabric is not as nice as the one in my Safari, but it has the HH whipping and you can get it fairly cheap.

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    I've been using headchange4u's method (cited in post 3 above) with my 90" wide hammocks, and whipping the ends (no need for holes). The first time I practiced the folds with one end of a piece of paper, then I wrote simple directions on the unfolded end of the paper for future reference. The folds are quick and easy after you've done it once or twice, and IMO well worth trying. I find the result more comfortable than through-channel gathered ends.

Hutz, that's a good suggestion about the Leaf Lounger. Hennessy describes it as asymmetrical. Does anybody know how it's cut to be so, or is it asymmetrical only because of the tie-outs?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WhollyHamaca View Post
    Hutz, that's a good suggestion about the Leaf Lounger. Hennessy describes it as asymmetrical. Does anybody know how it's cut to be so, or is it asymmetrical only because of the tie-outs?
    I have a Leaf Lounger XL, and the only thing asymmetrial on it is the location of the tie-outs. If I were to use the hammock more often, I would probably cut them off. I don't see a need for tie-outs on a netless hammock. They just make use more complicated because you have to step over the shock cords.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by psyculman View Post

That’s sounds like terrible fabric. Coated would’ve been a sweat box.
    I wouldn’t blame the whipping technique on failure. Not all fabrics are created to support body weight.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

• + New Posts